Mercedes-Benz Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
MB500SL -91
21 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
My rollbar started to act funny and bounced up everytime I passed 50km/h. I thought I was struck by lightning the first time that sucker popped up and I was crossing traffic!! Yikes! :eek:

Now I have bought 2 new Rollbar Switches that are mounted on the rear aksle somewhere (Yes, I have a mechanic that handles my cars). These two switches needs to be set in order for the rollbar sensitivity to be correct.

But, the problem is that I know basically how it works, but not enough to explain to my mechanics (they normally do Ford and Peugeot).

I have looked around the forum, but I can't find the solution to my problem of how to set these two sensors/switches.

Can anyone please explain to me how to set these, or direct me to any post that has this information?

In advance, thanks alot!!

"Mangorn" :)

·
Greek God of the R129
SL500-500SEL-190E
8,391 Posts
Remove the sensor wires, hook up an OHM meter.

With rear wheel ON the GROUND.
(Do one wheel at a time.)

You should have continuity/ meter making a sound.

Lift car side up, but NOT of the ground.

It should stop/no continuity.

Adjust the nut on THAT setting.

Regards,
aam.

·
Registered
Departed 1998 SL500 (and the Pano is in Bogota)
11,122 Posts
He has a manual written in Greek, but it makes sense : the simple switch just tells the controller to deploy the rollbar when the suspension unloads because the car might tip over. Waiting for it to completely airborne may not give it sufficient time to fully deploy so he is setting the switch at the end of suspension travel (with wheel still touching the ground).

How is my Greek Albert ?:rolleyes:

·
Registered
MB500SL -91
21 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Remove the sensor wires, hook up an OHM meter.

With rear wheel ON the GROUND.
(Do one wheel at a time.)

You should have continuity/ meter making a sound.

Lift car side up, but NOT of the ground.

It should stop/no continuity.

Adjust the nut on THAT setting.

Regards,
aam.
Thank you for the explanation on how to set these switches. Are there more than one way to install these? I found this post while searching for a solution:

Each switch assembly has a mode selection switch on it with a position for normal operation ("funktion") and another for testing ("arretiert"). To adjust a switch, first jack-up the rear of the car so that the associated control arm is fully extended and tire is off the ground. Turn the mode selector to arretiert. Now loosen the switch assembly mounting bolt and position it so the tip of the switch just barely comes into contact with the covering on the control arm. Tighten the mounting bolt, return the mode selector to funktion, and lower the car.
Is this an equally safe way to install these, or is the way you described the most fail-safe method? Thanks again for your post! :bowdown:

·
Registered
Departed 1998 SL500 (and the Pano is in Bogota)
11,122 Posts
There are more than one way to skin the cat and both these two guys know what they were talking about. The difference would be less than fraction of a second, just do it the easiest way.

·
Greek God of the R129
SL500-500SEL-190E
8,391 Posts
He has a manual written in Greek, but it makes sense : the simple switch just tells the controller to deploy the rollbar when the suspension unloads because the car might tip over. Waiting for it to completely airborne may not give it sufficient time to fully deploy so he is setting the switch at the end of suspension travel (with wheel still touching the ground).

How is my Greek Albert ?:rolleyes:
Ray,
Your Greek?
Like a good wine, gets better with time. :)

Like you said on the other post, there many ways to skin...
Not all sensors are marked.

And if they are... I can't read German.
Sometimes it is all Greek.

Hmmmm?
Is that good or bad? ;) Lol.

Regards,
aam.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts