Mercedes-Benz Forum banner

1 - 20 of 30 Posts

·
Registered
R129 SL500 1996
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi,
I would like to get your honest opinion on the part we have recently redesigned and 3D printed for a few of our SL's :cool:

As you know, those sun trim caps break quite often, so I decided to reproduce them using an industrial grade, powder bed 3D printer.

It took us some time to redesign the area where it was usually braking, but now thanks to the additional reinforcement it should last for many years.

To reproduce the visible surface we added a special texture:

And finally after some surface finishing, the original Daimler palette paint has been used:

I am actually proud of the result :cool: and we will definitely take the challange to redesign and 3D print other parts we cannot find anymore (or found very expensive).

I am super curious about your thoughts on this initiative and the part itself.
Stay great (y)

·
Registered
2 Posts
Sweet! I'll take two of the grey ones please, if not too expensive. I lost a front bumper tow hook cover from my 2001 R129. There is a company 3D printing those, but way too expensive. I think there is a future in this as our cars get older. Good luck with everything! Al

·
Registered
3 Mercedes'; 14 BMW's; 3 Other
86 Posts
Your parts look great! If they can be reproduced for a decent price, you have a winner. I would be very interested.

The other issue, is the center panel where the lights are between the sun visors. They always break.

Mike

·
Registered
dark blue 1992 500 sl
17 Posts
Your parts look great are you aware that all metal ones are available in Germany also i wonder if merc will object to thier parts being copied

·
Registered
'91 560SEC, '98 SL500
1,918 Posts
Those are well made 3D parts (good job!), but ultimately they will stress crack and break around the mounting hole, it is imperative they have the brass or metal sleeve pressed in similar to the OEM units. See below:

·
Registered
R129 SL500 1996
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Thanks for all the comments.

Sweet! I'll take two of the grey ones please, if not too expensive. I lost a front bumper tow hook cover from my 2001 R129. There is a company 3D printing those, but way too expensive. I think there is a future in this as our cars get older. Good luck with everything! Al
1. Can you suggest an OK price for it, you'd be willing to pay? I still don't know what should be a fair price.
2. Bumper tow hook cover- this is a great idea. Which color would you like to have?

The other issue, is the center panel where the lights are between the sun visors. They always break.
Do you mean the plastic part close the the center mirror?

Your parts look great are you aware that all metal ones are available in Germany also i wonder if merc will object to thier parts being copied
Interesting, I didn't know.
Probably they care in the same way as other unbranded replacement parts produced globally.

Those are well made 3D parts (good job!), but ultimately they will stress crack and break around the mounting hole, it is imperative they have the brass or metal sleeve pressed in similar to the OEM units. See below:

Good point. We had the metal sleve before, but after few design iterations it became redundant after reinforcing this area with more plastic. No problems so far, but we definitely consider this. Thank you!

Cheers

·
Premium Member
2002 Black SL500, 2000 Azure blue SL500, 2005 Silver (A209) CLK500
949 Posts
What would be considered a fair price for 3D tow hook covers???

·
1995 Mercedes S420, 1995 SL320, 2000 Land Rover Discovery II, 1985 Lotus Turbo Esprit
1,715 Posts
Those look amazing! I actually just bought a reproduction set last week for my restoration project but these look WAY better as they have that texture on them, which mine do not have.

How much are you asking for a set?

·
Registered
Mercedes 300SL-24 R129
59 Posts
If its any help regarding the price - I bought a pair from Mercedes here in the UK in 2015, they cost £24.40 each (ex VAT), total paid for 2 £58.56.
They look really well done. Great job!

I have 2 bits of broken plastic on mine at the moment, the rearview mirror housing and the sunvisor vanity mirroe cover has snapped off... second hand prices are obscene so i imagine there would be a reasonable market for replacement parts..

·
Registered
R129 SL500 1996
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
How much for a pair and and where are you located?
Those look amazing! I actually just bought a reproduction set last week for my restoration project but these look WAY better as they have that texture on them, which mine do not have.

How much are you asking for a set?
If its any help regarding the price - I bought a pair from Mercedes here in the UK in 2015, they cost £24.40 each (ex VAT), total paid for 2 £58.56.
They look really well done. Great job!
Thanks!
Our idea was to ask for something around £49 ($64) for a pair, which I believe will be a no-brainer (quality vs price).
Most of us are located in Europe, Poland, so ~5 days shipping to UK, ~2 weeks US.

Thank you for all your support and ideas!

·
Registered
2000 SL500
112 Posts
Your parts look great! If they can be reproduced for a decent price, you have a winner. I would be very interested.
Mike
Really well done! There is definitely a market for these center dome light/reading light covers. I would love to have one if priced reasonably. Mine has multiple pieces that I have glued together but I would spring for a good repro at a fair price as well! Keep posting, and let us know how it is going!
Rand

·
Registered
R129 SL500 1996
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Really well done! There is definitely a market for these center dome light/reading light covers. I would love to have one if priced reasonably. Mine has multiple pieces that I have glued together but I would spring for a good repro at a fair price as well! Keep posting, and let us know how it is going!
Rand
Hi Rand,
Thanks for the comment.
Can you share a photo of it for a better reference?

·
Registered
2000 SL500
112 Posts
Ksan, here you go! This is the plastic cover that sits over the dome lights and reading lights. It is usually broken and snapped because folks don't know how to remove it, so end up breaking it. I recently acquired the car and took it off to replace the switch on the left side (dome light operational switch). When I got the screws out (after reading 'how-to' online instructions), it literally came out in pieces. I replaced the switch but am still trying to get the pieces to stay together - you can see one side in the picture has already let go.

·
Registered
R129 SL500 1996
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
Ksan, here you go! This is the plastic cover that sits over the dome lights and reading lights. It is usually broken and snapped because folks don't know how to remove it, so end up breaking it. I recently acquired the car and took it off to replace the switch on the left side (dome light operational switch). When I got the screws out (after reading 'how-to' online instructions), it literally came out in pieces. I replaced the switch but am still trying to get the pieces to stay together - you can see one side in the picture has already let go.
View attachment 2617932
HI Rand,
This should be easy to 3D scan and print. I will just need to disassemble it from one of our SL's and generate a 3D model. I will keep you posted :cool:

·
Registered
2000 SL500
112 Posts
Ksan, as an FYI when I followed your link to EBay, I also saw that someone else (topclassiccars_fl) is producing these dome light covers but at a very high cost. If you can make yours and sell them at a reasonable price, I believe you would have a big market willing to pay for these parts.

·
Registered
R129 SL500 1996
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
Ksan, as an FYI when I followed your link to EBay, I also saw that someone else (topclassiccars_fl) is producing these dome light covers but at a very high cost. If you can make yours and sell them at a reasonable price, I believe you would have a big market willing to pay for these parts.
Hi Rand, just hold my beer ;-)!
I will keep you posted once we have the part ready.

·
Registered
1999 SL500 Sport, Black Opal Pearl, Helios Leather, Pano roof, AMG Aero2 18"Split Rims, Rear Seats
1,207 Posts
I see that here in Oz at least, one of the big office supply chains is now offering a 3d scan and print service from A$30 for an item up to 10cm2, this hopefully will become more widespread and eventually give access to the .srt files for all. At the moment there is not much competition and prices for printed parts seem high to me for a bit of plastic. Hopefully, It won't be long before someone in China starts banging them out for a few $$ each.
Here is an example for an Audi Part.. Audi Sunvisor clip

1 - 20 of 30 Posts