Mercedes-Benz Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
1985 380SE
1,293 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Anybody know a place that can do R12 in either to Charlotte or DC metro (hopefully MD side) areas?

·
CH4S Admin , Outstanding Contributor
1985 500SEC, 1991 190E 2.6.
42,097 Posts
I would just call around for quotes. The price od R-12 should have come down a bit.

·
Registered
Mercedes 420 SEL
617 Posts
Don Poole Mercedes has R-12. They are on 66 and Lee Highway (I think Lee Highway) in Arlington, Virginia. They are metro accessible.

Costs vary, but I believe for a full charge they were asking around $200. I just asked them if they had it about 2-3 weeks ago. I was actually pretty happy about that because its hard to find, but I was even more ecstatic because they informed me my system was converted to R-134a!! Wahoo! Can of R-134a at Target and its was fully charged. :) So there was an upside to the car I bought.

Don Pool Mercedes Benz Repair
6917 Lee Hwy
Arlington, Virginia 22213
703-534-4222

They are honest and Chuck is very good. They stay within the price they quote without the usual add-on garbage of 20% or what not. .

·
Registered
1990 420sel
324 Posts
guarddog said:
Don Poole Mercedes has R-12. They are on 66 and Lee Highway (I think Lee Highway) in Arlington, Virginia. They are metro accessible.

Costs vary, but I believe for a full charge they were asking around $200. I just asked them if they had it about 2-3 weeks ago. I was actually pretty happy about that because its hard to find, but I was even more ecstatic because they informed me my system was converted to R-134a!! Wahoo! Can of R-134a at Target and its was fully charged. :) So there was an upside to the car I bought.

Don Pool Mercedes Benz Repair
6917 Lee Hwy
Arlington, Virginia 22213
703-534-4222

They are honest and Chuck is very good. They stay within the price they quote without the usual add-on garbage of 20% or what not. .
Are you satisfied with the cooling of your R-134a system? I just recharged with R-12 myself, but I'm not sure how bad my leak is.

·
Registered
Mercedes 420 SEL
617 Posts
rph74 said:
Are you satisfied with the cooling of your R-134a system? I just recharged with R-12 myself, but I'm not sure how bad my leak is.
Yeah, it works pretty well. However, it hasn't really become hot here in DC yet for me to know for sure. It takes a lot longer for the car to cool down with R134a than with R-12. I had a couple cars with R-12, and they would get ice cold almost immediately. My newer/ new cars with R134a take a noticeable amount of time to get cool--and then they never really get ice cold, but cool enough to give you a bit of a chill. I would say my R134a in the Mercedes is exactly the same as in my other cars with R134a.

I guess a comparsion would be propane/gas heat and electric heat in your house. Electric heat will keep you warm, but it never gets to that toasty warm that a propane based heater will get you.

So my recommendation would be if you have a good working R-12 system, to leave it be. However if you have a bad leak, I'd convert it, if economical, to R134a. The one nice thing is that I can check the pressure and fill-it myself with conditoner, oil , and re-charge it for cheap.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts