Mercedes-Benz Forum banner

21 - 35 of 35 Posts

·
Registered
Many different MBZs
138 Posts
Whoa there Thorpilot.... you can love lobster AND steak too!
That’s very true Rick! And looking at your “posted” cars – don’t take offence!
Over the years I did try a “lobster” or two – the car just didn’t work to my satisfaction!
Sometimes – if you look at things a little different way – a lobster is just a big red spider on your plate!!
LOL!!

·
Premium Member
1976 Benz 450SL; 1978 Corvette L82
120 Posts
That’s very true Rick! And looking at your “posted” cars – don’t take offence!
Over the years I did try a “lobster” or two – the car just didn’t work to my satisfaction!
Sometimes – if you look at things a little different way – a lobster is just a big red spider on your plate!!
LOL!!
Indeed, the C3 Corvette appeals to my more primitive instincts, while the Benz is a lot more sophisticated. I've grown to appreciate the 450SL's comfort, not to mention its trunk :)

·
Registered
Many different MBZs
138 Posts
Indeed, the C3 Corvette appeals to my more primitive instincts, while the Benz is a lot more sophisticated. I've grown to appreciate the 450SL's comfort, not to mention its trunk :)
Yeah Rick, you’ve hit the nail right on the head! Trunk space!!
I could never take the Corvette to the market, or on a weekend get-a-way!
But, the R107, or R129 are Grand Touring cars so you can pack enough to have a nice weekend vacation!
That being said – my R230 can barely hold a crash helmet and a couple of baloney sandwiches in its trunk – IF you want to put the roof down!
Something’s been lost in the newer models of SL!

·
Registered
1989 560 SL - Signal Red & Palomino; 2011 C-300 - Black on Black 4MATIC
1,153 Posts
We are reporting two more recent use of 107s in Hollywood seen in one week -

In the new HBO Movie "Behind the Candellabra" - Liberacci's life story a cream 107 (450, I believe) is used in several scenes beginning in 1977, the mistake being updated chrome 560 SL wheels.

Also, in season 7 (last year, we are catching up now..) of "Dexter" the character Sal Price drives a light blue 107 which is never really seen clearly enough to positively ID, but it does have bundt wheels. The character is kind of a down and out true crime writer...

·
Forum Administrator , RC Colas® & Moon Pies®
1981 380SL 151K: 2005 S500 116K
39,223 Posts
We're binge watching "Blue Bloods". Season 2, episode 3, "Critical Condition".

Donnie Wahlberg and Jennifer Esposito follow bank robber #2 of 3 into a warehouse and they mention a convertible. I looked away and SWMBO says, "Hey, it's a 280SL!" and I look up in time to catch a glimpse of a 107 from the driver's side and I'm like, "You mean a 380SL?" and she says, "Don't think so."

I made her back it up. She was right. It was a gold 107.

·
Registered
1985 380sl
157 Posts
There's a new mini-series called "Interrogation" on CBS All Access that was filmed in Albuquerque and which briefly shows three different r107s within the first five minutes of the first episode, including one owned by yours truly. They appear at 3:52, 4:10, and then mine is parked at 4:41. It's still parked at 11:57 and 15:34.

They were filming this show last March when @isthisdave stopped in for a few days to hang out with @cushjbc and me. We wanted to take Cush's 450 and my 380 on an r107 convoy around ABQ but only took the 450 since my car was committed to being on set for a few days.

And since it didn't happen without photos...

Attachments

·
Registered
'79 450SL, '04 CLK200 convertible; former A124, W210, A209.
1,389 Posts
Nice one Jose! No better way to have your car remembered by placing it on the big screen 👍💪😁

·
R/C107 Moderator
1986 560SL: '84 500SL: '84 280SL 5 speed: other 107s
31,991 Posts
Hmm..........Members cars have now appeared in two productions that I know of. Kill The Irishman and Interrogation. I'm sensing a trend.

·
Registered
1985 380sl
157 Posts
Nice one Jose! No better way to have your car remembered by placing it on the big screen 👍💪😁
And the best part is I earned about $1200 on this gig, which is handy on those occasions when I need to remind Mrs. Joser my next new project is "already paid for."

·
Registered
1985 380sl
157 Posts
Hmm..........Members cars have now appeared in two productions that I know of. Kill The Irishman and Interrogation. I'm sensing a trend.
I can't speak for a trend in other shows, but in this case the casting call was for 80s vehicles, and I think the director was happy with what he was able to get in Albuquerque: a disproportionate number of r107s.

·
Registered
1985 380sl
157 Posts
CORRECTION: I rewatched the pilot episode and spotted two more r107s, one at 3:16 and another two seconds later at 3:18. That makes five r107s in the first five minutes of a TV series. That has to be a record.

And it's possible there is a sixth. See the screen grab below at 3:16. I'm counting the black one at the bottom of the screen, but there is also a gold convertible near the top of the screen, although it's blurry and I can't decide ifit's an r107. I don't see park bench bumpers on the gold one, which are clearly visible on the black one, but they could be Euro bumpers.

What do you guys think?

21 - 35 of 35 Posts