Mercedes-Benz Forum banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
1973 450SL
106 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
The Michelin MXV is no longer in production,it has been replaced by the Harmony. The MXV was the prefered choice for restorers of both W113's & R107's. I feel that Michelin's are overpriced for a touring tire.

Continental does not currently manudacture anything in a 205/70/14 so my next choice was Pirelli,Pirelli offers two touring tires in that size,the P400 & P3000.

The P3000 looks better suited for a R107,the P400 is standard equipment on late model VW Jettas. Anybody have any experience with either the P400 or P3000?

Yokohama,Kumho,Sumitomo,& several other manufacturers offers touring tires in a 205/70/14.

Your input would be greatly appreciated.

·
Registered
88 560SL, 06 Prius, 07 Prius
61 Posts
When I did my tire-buying research a couple years ago, I concluded with Bridgestone Turanzas. I have no complaints thus far. They are not cheap though, like around $150 each.

-- J.

·
Registered
1988 560SL
193 Posts
I put the Falken Ziex 512 on my 560SL last year. Made by Sumitomo. Size 205-65-15. They are V rated and are really nice. May not be available in the 205-70-14. I have used Yokohama Avid T4 as a MXV4 replacement on a Honda Accord and they were excellent. Should be available in your size. Not V rated (they are T) but fine for "normal" speeds and temperatures. I have found the Japanese tires to be very well-engineered and high quality and consistency. Better value than Michelins.

·
Registered
1,920 Posts
ostkurve said:
The Michelin MXV is no longer in production,it has been replaced by the Harmony. The MXV was the prefered choice for restorers of both W113's & R107's. I feel that Michelin's are overpriced for a touring tire.

Continental does not currently manudacture anything in a 205/70/14 so my next choice was Pirelli,Pirelli offers two touring tires in that size,the P400 & P3000.

The P3000 looks better suited for a R107,the P400 is standard equipment on late model VW Jettas. Anybody have any experience with either the P400 or P3000?

Yokohama,Kumho,Sumitomo,& several other manufacturers offers touring tires in a 205/70/14.

Your input would be greatly appreciated.
I bought the P3000 last August and have been pleased. I have about 4K on them and haven't had any complaints whatsoever. I paid $400 for the set with lifetime balancing and rotation.

·
Registered
1,920 Posts
Alkraut said:
I put the Falken Ziex 512 on my 560SL last year. Made by Sumitomo. Size 205-65-15. They are V rated and are really nice. May not be available in the 205-70-14. I have used Yokohama Avid T4 as a MXV4 replacement on a Honda Accord and they were excellent. Should be available in your size. Not V rated (they are T) but fine for "normal" speeds and temperatures. I have found the Japanese tires to be very well-engineered and high quality and consistency. Better value than Michelins.
The P3000 is also T rated but I don't forsee any extended high speed driving in my future so the T rated tires seemed adequate to me. I did have a discussion with the guy at the tire store over proper inflation. He tried to insist that the tire manufacturers "recommended" inflation was proper, and I insisted the ticket be written with 32psi front and 36psi back. When I got home and checked all 4 tires were at 30psi. The ride was much better after the tires were inflated to the car manufacturers design specs.

·
Registered
2001 SLK320, 2001 C320
2,267 Posts
Yep. The choices for 205/70-14 is getting pretty slim these days. I got lucky, and managed to procure a set of "Sears Michelin" Weatherwise Sports as they were discontinuing them a couple of years ago. About 66 bucks each. But that doesn't matter...

My recommendations at The Tire Rack - Your performance experts for tires and wheels would be the Yokohama Avid T4 (I had a similar set of Yokos on my '79 Corvette) or the Kumho Solus -- I put a set of KH16's on the C320 last year. Both are recommended.

BTW: If you read carefully, you'll note that the recommended pressure is -4 PSI at speeds below 100 mph. Check the sticker under your gas tank lid. This translates to 28 front and 32 in the rear. Handling is still excellent, and ride becomes limo-like! :)

·
Registered
'80 450SLC Afro RHD Ikonengold
2,951 Posts
P400 is worst choice one can make. I made that bad choice. My original Michellin MXV's were better inspite 20+ year age and no groove.
P400 is M+S tyre and it was excellent for the first 3 months. 6months later = disaster.
Not much choice for 205's in Africa. 195/70-14 are plenty and cheap.

Maybe some fellow Ozies can tell us what is the choice in Terra Avstralis?

·
Registered
2001 SLK320, 2001 C320
2,267 Posts
Forgot to mention...

Note to Mr Ostkurve: Please fill out your profile. It helps a LOT when giving advice, due to model and regional variations.

·
Always Remembered RIP
1973 450 SLC AMG, 1995 Chevy Tahoe
3,381 Posts

·
Registered
1,920 Posts
page62 said:
Yep. The choices for 205/70-14 is getting pretty slim these days. I got lucky, and managed to procure a set of "Sears Michelin" Weatherwise Sports as they were discontinuing them a couple of years ago. About 66 bucks each. But that doesn't matter...

My recommendations at The Tire Rack - Your performance experts for tires and wheels would be the Yokohama Avid T4 (I had a similar set of Yokos on my '79 Corvette) or the Kumho Solus -- I put a set of KH16's on the C320 last year. Both are recommended.

BTW: If you read carefully, you'll note that the recommended pressure is -4 PSI at speeds below 100 mph. Check the sticker under your gas tank lid. This translates to 28 front and 32 in the rear. Handling is still excellent, and ride becomes limo-like! :)
Thanks page62. Tire inflation will be adjusted.
I sometimes do the elynwodspdrd with the manual,
do I read the labels, Ithinknot. Doh

·
Registered
1978 280slc
3,203 Posts
I have pirelli's upfront and bfgoodrich in the back. A tyre I really liked was the bridgestone potenza, but they don't make them anymore. I have party up front and business in the rear with the current setup. My old man used to run yokohamas but they wore out too fast and were too expensive like 150 bucks each. Just look around and find a manufacturer you trust that makes a tyre in your size. You gotta trust the tyremaker, your life could depend on it. You don't need high performance tyres unless you wanna cruise over 106mph. Good luck finding some new rubber!

·
Premium Member
2010 Mercury Milan Hybrid, 1993 BMW 325i convertible
6,077 Posts
I've got the Kumho 205/70-14's front and rear. Bought them as a set when I found an original set of bundt rims for my car. They're quiet, decent grip, smooth ride and I haven't had any problems with them in the 5000 miles I've driven so far. They don't come anywhere near the performance of the Michelins I have on my Acura, but they don't cost $200 each, either. So far I don't see any tire wear, but I wouldn't expect to with only 5K miles.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts