Mercedes-Benz Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
w108 & w107
144 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
You will want to replace it, promptly.
Thanks Roncallo. Does it need to be greased? Is there an instruction for the re-assembly somewhere? Winter is setting in here so won't be much driving happening here now until August. I've bought a set of sway bar links to replace the shot ones that are on the car, and had the car on stands to look what else I can change in there while I'm at it and noticed this cap missing.
I was going to change the diff mount and sub-frame mounts, but I can't find sway bar bushes anywhere. Anything else I should change?

·
Premium Member
1986 560SL with M120 V12 Engine, 1988 560SL Stock
10,196 Posts
Thanks Roncallo. Does it need to be greased? Is there an instruction for the re-assembly somewhere? Winter is setting in here so won't be much driving happening here now until August. I've bought a set of sway bar links to replace the shot ones that are on the car, and had the car on stands to look what else I can change in there while I'm at it and noticed this cap missing.
I was going to change the diff mount and sub-frame mounts, but I can't find sway bar bushes anywhere. Anything else I should change?
It is like a wheel bearing in there, but it doesn't move much. If your confident tackling the job the bearing should be cleaned out and re greased or replaced. But it requires special tools and know how. But if you know it just fell out yesterday. Just put a new one back on, the cap doesn't get filled with grease. If its all packed with sand and mud you will have to do the job.

·
Registered
w108 & w107
144 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
It is like a wheel bearing in there, but it doesn't move much. If your confident tackling the job the bearing should be cleaned out and re greased or replaced. But it requires special tools and know how. But if you know it just fell out yesterday. Just put a new one back on, the cap doesn't get filled with grease. If its all packed with sand and mud you will have to do the job.
Thanks.
I've ordered the cap. I'll check the bearing before i fit it.
Just another question, (not sure if this needs another thread), but would anyone know if the rear axle of the 500SL (107.046) is replaceable with the aftermarket item (part number 123-350-04-10) used in other earlier and later 380SL's? I noticed one of my inner cv boots are cracking, and I'd rather just replace axles and be done than get them re-booted.

·
Premium Member
1986 560SL with M120 V12 Engine, 1988 560SL Stock
10,196 Posts
Thanks.
I've ordered the cap. I'll check the bearing before i fit it.
Just another question, (not sure if this needs another thread), but would anyone know if the rear axle of the 500SL (107.046) is replaceable with the aftermarket item (part number 123-350-04-10) used in other earlier and later 380SL's? I noticed one of my inner cv boots are cracking, and I'd rather just replace axles and be done than get them re-booted.
According to EPC no. But if you are to purchase a new axle from Mercedes prior to 1986 you would be buying:

Qty 1, A1073505710
Qty 2, A1263500845
Qty 4, A1263570975
Qty 12, A0019901012

Which allegedly fits all 107's up to the end of the 1985 model year. These parts update the earlier 107 to have removable flange bolt on axles like the 560SL. The 2 flanges P/N A126 350 08 45 are very expensive so I would say skip that idea unless you find a used 380SL or 450SL with flange axles. Then you can take the axles and the flanges and the rest of the hardware.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts