Mercedes-Benz Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey Everyone; Long time lurker, first time poster here....

So I'll start with the TLDR as I don't want to be THAT guy who makes everyone read a story to decipher the details.... However, I will include the story at the bottom :)

TLDR; 560SL that has been garaged and mothballed for 10 years. Owner is looking to sell and I'm looking for a project, but not an "engine out" type of project. Car body is solid (from what I remember when we put it to sleep 10 years ago) and ran like a top (had sat for the year prior and started first crank with a fresh battery) was well taken care of and lots of maint. history. SO.... my question is what's it worth? $2K? $5K? I'm seeing running/driving examples in what seem to be in excellent shape in the $18K-25K CAD range, but this thing could take a grand to get going or it could take $10K....

Background on this car....

I've known the owner for close to 15 years. I had always seen this car in the garage, covered but never saw them driving it. They was busy, no time, etc... we all get busy. So about 12 years ago, I really started asking about it. They hadn't driven it in a couple of years at that point but started it regularly and pulled it in/out of the garage. Car was in great shape, and before they stopped driving it, they had a major service done on the drivetrain. They wanted to move it to another garage on the property to make room in the main garage. I dropped a battery in it, checked all the fluids, and it fired right up.... No smoke, no complaining, and settled into a solid idle. Front brake calipers were siezed, but we were able to move it under it's own power to the other garage. Where it's now sat. For 10 years. Top down (unfortunately). Hardtop on. Car cover on it. Untouched.

She's now interested in selling and I've been looking for a project and I thought if I could get this for a decent price it would be a solid buy for a project. With that said, I'm not new to cars, or old European cars, I'm not looking for a cheap R107 project in hopes of a low-cost/high-return type of thing.... I know old European cars that need work is not a fiscally responsible purchase :) . I'm looking for something to get my hands dirty, have some fun working on, and cruise on the weekends.

So.... What does this community think? Am I crazy? Is this a decent project? Am I headed for financial ruin?? Full transparency; I haven't seen the car since we put it away and the condition could have changed drastically in 10 years. I'm looking for some advice based on what the car was when it went away, so I have a starting point for negotiations. When I go see it, I'm bringing tools and I want to do a deal right there which is the reason for me asking prior to seeing it.

Thanks everyone! I hope to be a valuable contributor to this forum shortly.

·
Registered
7,292 Posts
In good running order, rust-free, it's probably worth CDN$12k in Ontario market.
Your question is how much will it cost now to get it there?

Ten years sitting is a long time. Think sludge and varnish in the fuel system. Think rot, mildew, mouse damage on the soft parts. Think outdated tires. Let's guess at some likely items:

New tires $600
New top $1000
Refurbish fuel system $1000
Refurbish brakes $1000
New Battery $150
Timing chain $1000
Tune up items $600
Miscellaneous $500

That's about $6000. So if there's no rust on a damage-free body, you might make a fair offer at $5000. Then again you might take a hard look and run away.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Dugald, Thanks for the info.

Ya, My assumptions (again not seeing it yet) to get it at least running is essentially what you listed (minus the soft top) and what I am ready to do. I was thinking if I can pick it up for $2-3K, that wouldn't be a bad deal. I've read the purchase guides on what to look for, but there's nothing in there regarding a car that's been sitting, so I'm just using knowledge from what I'd do on any other car that's been sitting. :thumbsup:

·
Registered
3,521 Posts
Looks familiar...

Seriously...rot and rodent damage are seriously what I would look at first. So long that the engine isn't seized, it should be a decent mechanical purchase. Rubber bits will need replaced, as will valve covers...mine seemingly may have sprung a small seeping leak, but I'll get to it soon, and check the timing chain guides in the process.

My brakes need some attention...the calipers were stuck. Well, maybe the rotors rusted to the pads a bit, but after a bit of brute strength, they finally released when we pulled it out of storage.

My soft top is as good as it was 9 years ago...better than serviceable. A few screws developed some golden patina that I'll clean up soon

Get it as cheap as you can. So far, the most expense was the battery, followed by the tow from storage. I'm almost done under the hood and ready to start on turning the rotors and changing the pads.

Pour fresh gas in it, check fluids, make sure it isn't seized, and it should start for you.

Report back with the results...

·
Registered
416 Posts
As far as repair costs, if you are willing to get your hands dirty and do most of the work yourself, you would be talking a fraction of the cost dugald quoted below. Example: I changed the timing chain and guides for $200. It would probably take a mechanic at least 6 hours to do all I did and at $100+/hr, $1000 is not a bad guess. You also may need a tensioner, and an MB tensioner is upwards of $400.

I agree with the others that the most important thing is to verify it is not locked up and that rodents haven't destroyed it. It could be worth no more than a parts car. Depending on the mileage, you could have a diamond in the rough. But don't buy it to make money, buy it because you want the car to enjoy. As a rule these cars are not that valuable.

Good luck! :thumbsup:

·
Registered
1,605 Posts
Watch out for Rust - it is never just fenders and R107 tend to rust around fan box, soft top lid, under brake booster, trunk under spare.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts
About this Discussion
8 Replies
5 Participants
16vRocket
Mercedes-Benz Forum
BenzWorld.org forum is one of the largest Mercedes-Benz owner websites offering the most comprehensive collection of Mercedes-Benz information anywhere in the world. The site includes MB Forums, News, Galleries, Publications, Classifieds, Events and much more!
Full Forum Listing