Mercedes-Benz Forum banner

41 - 50 of 50 Posts

·
Registered
'71 350SL, '76 450SLC (Euro both)
297 Posts
BAT rejected me for the 1985 500sl AMG and I sold it much higher than the reserve I requested, but it was a flat out no, not even an explanation. BAT also rejected me for the 1985 500sel AMG saying the car is too common. I sold both cars much higher than the reserve I requested on BAT, but my assessment is that BAT is such a pain in the butt wanting 300+ pictures, and then they fluff your ad so they themselves can make most profit. BAT is an anomaly of where the seller is willing to put about a months worth of work into the car listing. I might try one other car with a no reserve or something, but I am willing to say I don’t like them.
That's interesting. My one dealing with BaT was kind of pain as well. The car ending up selling for higher than the reserve. I thought BaT was more accommodating but I guess they want a more discerning clientele (spoken with my nose lifted and a monocle on my left eye).

Looks like a business opportunity right there: take all the BaT rejects. Build just as nice of an auction website that allows everyone to auction. Cars only, no dealers, no parts. I find Ebay's website is less user-friendly than it used to be. Can't find what I'm looking for but I'll get inundated with a ton of crap I'm not.

·
Registered
1987 560SL w/41k miles 1986 560SL w/17k miles
219 Posts
Beautiful example of a 560SL in the general for sale section here at BW
1988 Mercedes-Benz 560 SL - FOR SALE $24,999.00 MILEAGE...
US $25,000, it would get three times that in Australia
Sounds like a very nice car. Overpriced for the US, or about right?
That is a reasonable price for that car. Of course, there's only one photo, so I say that with a lot of qualifications not readily accounted for. All the fuel related work of late tells me it sat for a LONG time. Not a big deal if all was done properly to get it roadworthy again. The photo does show an unfortunate slight bit of damage at the right rear wheel well, but not a huge deal. I'd want to see lots and LOTS of detailed photos, but a Florida car, garaged since new would be a good thing, especially with this kind of mileage. There has become a big market for foreign buyers coming into the US market to buy US-spec cars and ship them to all compass directions because the foreign demand and ability to pay is up. I've experienced that a few times, personally, from car's I've sold.

·
Registered
1 Posts
Hello Carl. I’m an enthusiast from Scotland. I’d be interested in your 560SL if you’re interested in selling it. We didn’t get that model in the UK. Let me know? Thanks. Lee

Wow, $64K AUS is $46.5K US.
That's 3 to almost 4 times the going price here in the USA for an average 560SL.
I just bumped the agreed value at Hagerty Insurance on my 1986 560SL from $10K to $15K. I would sell it for $15K.

·
Registered
1987 300SL
528 Posts
Discussion Starter #46
R107 300SL sells for 70,184 pounds at auction in the UK. That's 127,694 Aus dollars, or 93,245 US dollars
They're certainly not coming down in price

300SL record auction price.jpg

·
Registered
71 Posts
Some of the W113/R107 price difference is number of units; +/- 48k vs +/-237k (not considering the almost 63k SLC).
That prices are rising now is indicative of the future; look at Beetles they made millions of them and they used to be cheap. Not, not so much.
I have a love/hate thing with BAT. You get lots more information about the listed car; the comments are quite useful in understanding the values or lack thereof; they have nice historical listing of previous sales.
And they seem to suck the most $ out there for a car. That trend has placed many of the cars that I like, and now would like to have, out of my reach. When I was a teenager and then in college, I could not afford these cars. Then later one, I could; but "family obligations" took precedence. Now I have money and less obligations and they are close to unaffordable.
An example would be a W121 (190SL). I knew someone who had one in high school, it was about 2x more money than I could afford. And now, it is about 3 times more than I would want to spend on it. A W113 is also a good example; again, I knew someone in college with a 280SL, it was about 3x more than I could affod at that time. It's maybe 2x more than I want to pay for it. But, I could afford it at least.

·
Registered
1987 300SL
528 Posts
Discussion Starter #49
An example would be a W121 (190SL). I knew someone who had one in high school, it was about 2x more money than I could afford. And now, it is about 3 times more than I would want to spend on it. A W113 is also a good example; again, I knew someone in college with a 280SL, it was about 3x more than I could affod at that time. It's maybe 2x more than I want to pay for it. But, I could afford it at least.
W113 (Pagodas) fetch around Aus$250,000 to 300,000 in Australia. I keep thinking it's a bubble that might burst one day, and that's on old cars in general. Older Australian built cars, particularly Holden and Ford V8 muscle cars, are getting up to 2 and 3 hundred thousand. I keep feeling some are going to get caught holding the baby. R107s have been trending around Aus$40,000 to 50,000 in Australia for some years now and I just couldn't justify having 40 grand sitting in the driveway as a weekender. Found my current 107 300SL for 25k, and in good nic, which makes me happy for what it cost me. But I had been passively looking for around 10 years, more so lately as I too have reached the point of less obligations

·
Registered
300sl 1987
760 Posts
Here in EU I am seeing 107 prices going down dramatically. Cars used to 35K€ and be gone within days/weeks. Now those just don't move and those at 25€ take a long time to disappear. Maybe a side effect of the covid thing but surely things have changed in the last few months...

41 - 50 of 50 Posts