Mercedes-Benz Forum banner

21 - 40 of 50 Posts

Registered
'79 450SL, '04 CLK200 convertible; former A124, W210, A209.
Beware what you wish for 馃槈

Registered
1982 380SL
Agree Visman - Bring A Trailer is an excellent source of info for classic car market values.

Also, if any Australian prospective 107 buyers are reading this, please do contact me. I give you good price.

Premium Member
'72 350SL, '85 300D, '98 E320, '19 Subaru Outback (sold '14 GLK250)
Agree Visman - Bring A Trailer is an excellent source of info for classic car market values.
I probably did not look hard enough, but I could not find pricing on BAT for a 72/73 350/450SL. I should really look on Kijiji or Autotrader in Canada too. Hagerty seem happy with my C$12000 valuation.

Much as I love my old 107, maintenance is becoming more difficult for me and we have no reliable Indies locally. Am getting help from a young friend, but sooner or later, I may need to sell.

Registered
1986 560SL
If you search results - enter Mercedes 350SL - there are 20+ results for 72 or 73.

Premium Member
'72 350SL, '85 300D, '98 E320, '19 Subaru Outback (sold '14 GLK250)
If you search results - enter Mercedes 350SL - there are 20+ results for 72 or 73.
Just looked at that. Looks like I should sell. Anyone in Canada want a great 72 350SL ! :)

Registered
Yep, sounds like those of us who were lucky yo get one while they were still reasonable price-wise should hang on to them... Or sell now since it's a good time and might not be that way this time next year if / when the recession hits.

Registered
1987 300SL
Discussion Starter #28
Here's another one, 1972 350SL for sale for AU$48,000
The paint job sort of interests me, bumpers and some other chrome bits painted. But look at the detail and overall the respray is not good enough for a Merc, and it will I believe devalue the car. Rebuilt engine is always nice, assuming it's done properly. Wheels, meh. Interior, as pointed out, looks very tired. $30k, $35k max
Have to say it did catch my eye though, it is a bit different
https://www.carsales.com.au/cars/details/mercedes-benz-350sl-1972/sse-ad-6851636/

Registered
1987 300SL
Discussion Starter #29
Yep, sounds like those of us who were lucky yo get one while they were still reasonable price-wise should hang on to them... Or sell now since it's a good time and might not be that way this time next year if / when the recession hits.
My plan was always somewhere around 10 years of ownership, Mikolaj, then move it on for someone else to enjoy
I don't really care if it goes up or down, it's a car I enjoy driving. The way older cars are being priced at the moment I feel the bubble has to burst sometime
It might be when the economy shits itself shortly, or when EVs really start to take over, and/or petrol/fuel/gas starts to decline in availability with EVs possible popularity
I never see cars as investments. If I score something with this R107, I'll take it. If not, no biggie, I enjoyed it and got to work on a car again which I haven't done for quite a few decades

Outstanding Contributor
450slc5.0cab 280sl5sp 280se4.5 500se+500slAMG +250seStkW108 350sl4spdX3 500secEuro
BAT rejected me for the 1985 500sl AMG and I sold it much higher than the reserve I requested, but it was a flat out no, not even an explanation. BAT also rejected me for the 1985 500sel AMG saying the car is too common. I sold both cars much higher than the reserve I requested on BAT, but my assessment is that BAT is such a pain in the butt wanting 300+ pictures, and then they fluff your ad so they themselves can make most profit. BAT is an anomaly of where the seller is willing to put about a months worth of work into the car listing. I might try one other car with a no reserve or something, but I am willing to say I don鈥檛 like them.

Registered
My plan was always somewhere around 10 years of ownership, Mikolaj, then move it on for someone else to enjoy
I don't really care if it goes up or down, it's a car I enjoy driving. The way older cars are being priced at the moment I feel the bubble has to burst sometime
It might be when the economy shits itself shortly, or when EVs really start to take over, and/or petrol/fuel/gas starts to decline in availability with EVs possible popularity
I never see cars as investments. If I score something with this R107, I'll take it. If not, no biggie, I enjoyed it and got to work on a car again which I haven't done for quite a few decades
Agreed Cousin - the point I was making is that I would hardly be able to justify buying R107 today, and that I'm lucky I got my Eleanor while they were still reasonable. I've no intention of selling whatever the market so the current value is helpful, but not really applicable.

@Fonzi that doesn't sound too good, I thought BAT were more like Ebay and as long as you comply with T&C they'll let you advertise.

Registered
1983 380SL, ivory/dk brown, 46k miles, dual roller timing chain. 1986 560SL, red/white, 190K mile.
@Fonzi, I've been pondering on putting my 1983 380SL (46K miles, one owner) on BAT, but the effort to do the write up, pictures, etc has kept me from moving forward.
I'm also wondering if some of the "updates" would pass muster there - like non-OEM wheels, Bumpers tucked in, 560SL Sun Visors, aftermarket radio, dual row timing chain.

Registered
1987 560 SL, 1990 300E 4Matic
Carl, I hope that BaT wouldn't hold your installing a dual row timing chain against you!

Fonzi, I was surprised reading that BaT turned down your 500 AMG. I think that it would have been a worthy BaTmobile.

Speaking of 107 values, although still on occasion, I have noticed seeing more 107s on the road than in the past. Just yesterday I passed a top down red 107 being driven by a younger couple. So while their monetary values seem to be inching upward here (and rocketing up in OZ), it seems that their intrinsic value, and being recognized as (still) affordable fun cruisers is also on the rise, at least in my area.

Registered
1985 280SL (Euro)
I sometimes scroll through the 107's listed on E bay collector cars just to see how many there are and and what prices are being hoped for. I also look at BaT but not so frequently. There does seem to be a fair amount of activity and prices are all over the place with many lies/exaggerations from both dealer and private sellers, but there is also quite a bit of choice in the more genuine looking ads. .Average prices have definitely moved up over the last year or so but certainly not enough to get anyone too excited. I have no idea where all the ultra low mileage cars come from but there are certainly more than I would have guessed. Previous owners may have had the bragging rights of early ownership but they obviously missed out on the pleasure of driving these great machines. As time goes on 100,000 miles will be looked on as low mileage, after all even on the last production run that equals a mere 3,200 miles per year.

Registered
1987 300SL
Discussion Starter #35
Agreed Cousin - the point I was making is that I would hardly be able to justify buying R107 today, and that I'm lucky I got my Eleanor while they were still reasonable.
And I'm definitely in the same boat. I always said to the other lovely half I cannot justify having a $40k 'sometime' car sitting in the driveway. When this one became available for $25k I jumped. I don't see an opportunity like that again any time soon, with the way prices are here. And I'll have to increase the insured amount soon, to $40k. So I'll have a 'sometime' $40k car sitting in the driveway (garage)! lol.

Premium Member
1983 380SL, 2000 S430, 1991 420SEL (retired) - RHD

Registered
1987 300SL
Discussion Starter #37
Wow at my age I'd have to consider selling for anything like that money. A few months ago I had an English guy "drop by" my house wanting to buy mine for $25000 - I think he was a car dealer who was going to ship it to the UK.
Yeah, the UK prices are higher again. And they love their straight sixes

Outstanding Contributor
450slc5.0cab 280sl5sp 280se4.5 500se+500slAMG +250seStkW108 350sl4spdX3 500secEuro
When you can still get driver quality r107 for under $15,000 that are nice cars, people will continue beating them down like commodities and driving them like daily drivers. Parking them outside to rot will happen too. That will cause the value of some good ones to go down to nothing... parts cars... cars that could be restored with monumental efforts.

With ~237,000 of them made, not 60,000 of them made, like pagodas, or c107 or c126, it鈥檚 going to take a long time.

There were over 200,000 R129 pmade too, and it鈥檚 interesting to see that their values still seem to be higher as driver cars. I guess the r107 have entered the category of not being practical as a daily driver, but haven鈥檛 quite yet hit the hard-to-obtain classic status either. Sadly r107 rust almost as badly as the w114/115 they were based on (which are also worthless). The faster r129 is still a better driver in most cases, more car for your money anyway.

Pagodas can鈥檛 be had for under $30,000 anymore, which seems to put them into pure classic or investment type of cars. They aren鈥檛 practical and generally have become unobtanium for the common man. So if there鈥檚 a rusty one that a fabricator can make into a solid car, it鈥檚 probably already been done with most of the bad examples. Few people are leaving pagodas out in the weather. So they鈥檝e reached their level and will be unlikely to have their value dragged down by people leaving them outside to rot. SECs are being left outside to rot, as are r107, lots of c107, and maybe some r129. But r129 seem to have far better rust protection. So those r129 will probably never go up in value. C107 have hope. R107 might some day be like 60鈥檚 mustangs. But meanwhile environmental responsibility will probably keep us from driving them. I sure don鈥檛 see many 60鈥檚 mustangs on the road these days. I occasionally see a project for about $2000-5000 though, just rarely a convertible.

There will continue to be plenty of r107 available under $6000 for quite a while IMO. I even decided to fix up and drive one I bought for $600. I can鈥檛 bring myself to part it out. Big bumpers, Chrysler climate control, cracked dash, tons of rot and all. If someone would give me $3000 for it, I鈥檇 take it. Next I will put more into it and the number will be $4000. But it will never be $10,000. I predict it will get parted before that happens.

R107 had their US values pumped up quite a bit with the surge of cars sent back to Europe. Apparently ~half of them came to the US, and with the surge that went back over the last decade, the Europe market apparently also got flooded. RHD examples for the UK, AUS, and Japan are probably still relatively scarce because the export of US models doesn鈥檛 help RHD locations. But what I hear from all the people that moved cars from the US to Europe is that they don鈥檛 want anymore r107.

So I think we have leveled out for a bit, and we shouldn鈥檛 expect any significant changes in r107 values for a while. Focus on something more rare if you want to see more action. Maybe the c107 will get us excited. I鈥檓 pissed that the c126 seems to be more valuable. Maybe they are not. I don鈥檛 have anyone beating down my door for my 1982 500sec euro that I would never ask more than $5000 for. So I just let that one sit for now.

Registered
1987 300SL
Discussion Starter #39
I don鈥檛 have anyone beating down my door for my 1982 500sec euro that I would never ask more than $5000 for. So I just let that one sit for now.
And that's a car I also love, but two is one too many, so I'll stick with the 107
Pagodas, geesus, in Oz they go for no less than AU$150k up to around $330k
It's nuts, but it ensures they are restored and kept in good nick

Premium Member
1983 380SL, 2000 S430, 1991 420SEL (retired) - RHD
And that's a car I also love, but two is one too many, so I'll stick with the 107
Pagodas, geesus, in Oz they go for no less than AU$150k up to around $330k
It's nuts, but it ensures they are restored and kept in good nick
Now I'll age myself again. When I was in my 20's a golfing buddy of mine had a new Pagoda. (he was a dentist with $$$) Funnily enough he wasn't all that impressed with it as he thought it was under powered - wanted a 300SL but they never came to Australia. He ended up getting a nice E type Jag later

21 - 40 of 50 Posts