Mercedes-Benz Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
1973 450SL
106 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I've knowticed that some of the early R107's delivered to the U.S. were supplied without a passenger side mirror.

Was there a specific year when the passenger side mirror became standard? Was this a DOT issue like the bumpers?

I've seen press photos of European Spec. R107's & they were not equipped with passenger side mirrors.

·
Registered
'72 350 SL
375 Posts
My '72 has two mirrors - but that's not to say someone didn't add the passenger one at a later stage.

·
Registered
1989 500SL (R129);2001 R170 230SLK; 1992 320CE
1,036 Posts
ostkurve said:
I've knowticed that some of the early R107's delivered to the U.S. were supplied without a passenger side mirror.

Was there a specific year when the passenger side mirror became standard? Was this a DOT issue like the bumpers?

I've seen press photos of European Spec. R107's & they were not equipped with passenger side mirrors.
ostkurve,

You are right, the early R107s were not fitted with a passenger side mirror as standard. Unfortunately I have been unable to find out when they did.

·
Outstanding Contributor , Bob's Your Uncle!
-----'83 280 SL----- 5 speed....The PIG
29,684 Posts
Here's a question.
Did the euro spec RHD cars have two mirrors? Maybe that's why you have two, Conor, as the left was already planned and the right added for the "displaced" driver.

·
Registered
1980 450SL
41 Posts
Option 502

My 1980 450SL had the following option: 502 outside side view mirror, right

Isn't that the passenger side?
Maybe it was always an option.

·
Registered
2001 SLK320, 2001 C320
2,267 Posts
Klonorg said:
My 1980 450SL had the following option: 502 outside side view mirror, right
I just checked mine. Same thing. But remember that all SL's imported into the USA were loaded with options. So I guess we could call it a standard option...pardon the oxymoron...

·
Registered
1989 500SL (R129);2001 R170 230SLK; 1992 320CE
1,036 Posts
nobby said:
Here's a question.
Did the euro spec RHD cars have two mirrors? Maybe that's why you have two, Conor, as the left was already planned and the right added for the "displaced" driver.
nobby,

I checked the German R107 Club`s website earlier and there is an early brochure with details on the 280,350 and 450SLs. In some of the pictures the cars are fitted with driver and passenger side mirrors but others are shown with the driver`s side only.

I think this was a continuation of the policy that DB had going back on earlier SLs where driver`s side mirror was the only option.

However your deduction on the RHD cars seems very sound.

·
Registered
'80 450SLC Afro RHD Ikonengold
2,956 Posts
All cars had option to have "passenger" side mirror AND as it may look at first, passenger and driver side mirrors (holder) had/have different angle. Therefore RHD driver side mirror ass'y was not intended for LHD passenger side and other way round.
In Africa, my 1980 SLC (a pure German assembled) came without optional passenger side mirror. I purchased it later and had it installed without a major sweat (prying tool, PH2 screwdriver and 1hr spare time).
I think that all alloy block cars came with both mirrors as standard option ;-)

·
Registered
1,920 Posts
page62 said:
I just checked mine. Same thing. But remember that all SL's imported into the USA were loaded with options. So I guess we could call it a standard option...pardon the oxymoron...
It seems to me that getting a US car there were few if any "options". The car was loaded except for the first aid kit and the reflectors.

·
Registered
'72 350 SL
375 Posts
nobby said:
That does seem like a good deduction. I forget you guys share the 'wrong side of the road' trait with most of Europe.

I have a whole bunch of SL books - now I've a good excuse to open them.

·
Registered
1975, 280SL
135 Posts
Just to make it even more interesting there are two different size mirrors and two different types, Manual and Electric. My 75, 280 has the small, manual on the drivers side only. Finding the same type passenger side mirror so far has been impossible. If anyone knows of one please let me know. I know they exist, have seen photos. Just realized I need to qualify, I can get it thru MBz but $300.00 is more than I really want to pay. Part # is 1078100616.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts