Mercedes-Benz Forum banner
1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
1973 R107 350SL
12 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have searched through the archives and Google searched the actual configuration for the fuel pump and filter for a 1973 350 SL with D Jet.
I have seen pumps 180 degrees opposite to the sump (so sucking instead of pushing...or vice versa?)

I would just like to see a good image of the three components in the cradle please from a working system...

TANK HOSE to RECOUPERATOR to PUMP to FILTER to PRESSURE LINE

I know the images seem to be incorrect below (it would have made sense to me though for the fuel to be filtered before entering the pump), but its been working like that for a lot of miles. However, the pump is whining hence my appeal for the correct layout

Attachments

·
R/C107 Moderator
1986 560SL: '84 500SL: '84 280SL 5 speed: other 107s
32,777 Posts
You are correct, that is wrong. In the below picture you cannot see the fuel pump outlet. There is a filter/screen in the bottom of the tank. The hose from the tank connects to the damper cage. Hose out of the cage connects to suction side of pump. Outlet hose from pump to inlet of filter. Outlet from filter to system supply line. That is also the wrong pump for a D-Jet system.

I'll see if I can find my spare D-Jet pump and post a picture.

Attachments

·
Premium Member
Mercedes Benz
2,051 Posts
Rowdie, that pic is a little hard for me to see correctly. Does the Djet pump differ from the Kjet pump in the outlet? I see the dampener and filter. The pump exit into the filter seems to be on the side of the pump??? Is this correct?
I've seen a couple of different configurations depending on the brand of pump used. I am wondering what OEM looked liked myself?

Not to confuse the situation: Here's a good resource- http://www.everythingbenz.com/z/mtype/sl107-107-mercedes-schematics-drawings

It depicts the differences between model years and injection systems.

·
R/C107 Moderator
32,777 Posts
Found a pic online. The outlet is on the side. The pump is lower pressure than K-Jet pump. It also as an internal pressure relief valve. There is a newer model that looks similar to the K-Jet. I think MBGraham posted a link.

Attachments

·
Premium Member
Mercedes Benz
2,051 Posts
I have searched through the archives and Google searched the actual configuration for the fuel pump and filter for a 1973 350 SL with D Jet.
I have seen pumps 180 degrees opposite to the sump (so sucking instead of pushing...or vice versa?)

I would just like to see a good image of the three components in the cradle please from a working system...

TANK HOSE to RECOUPERATOR to PUMP to FILTER to PRESSURE LINE

I know the images seem to be incorrect below (it would have made sense to me though for the fuel to be filtered before entering the pump), but its been working like that for a lot of miles. However, the pump is whining hence my appeal for the correct layout

TO expound on the fluid dynamic question:
The fuel sits in a pot within the tank and this is where the initial fuel filter screen is (and it should be changed especially if it is original to the car). TO change that screen you will need a.... I think it was a 54mm socket I purchased before buying the tool from Mercedessource.
The fuel exits using gravity and meets the fuel dampener. Where it then matriculates into the in side of the filter whereby the pump creates the vortex that forces the fuel through the rest of the system to the in line of the fuel system. NOTE: to check fuel system pressure this is done at the return line by removing the return line and measuring the amount of fuel that exits in a given time period i.e., 30 seconds should equal a quart I believe?!

FURTHER NOTE: You will find many posts on this. I have 7 CIS cars and 1 d-jet. ALL OF MY CIS CARS, including and regrettably the best running one, IF AND WHEN ALLOWED TO SIT WITH UNTREATED AND INCORRECT AMOUNTS OF FUEL ( MEANING NOT FULLY FILLED OR FULLY EMPTIED) WILL GO BAD AND REQUIRE A GREAT DEAL OF REPAIR.
Secondly you will need to inspect and repair the d-jet injectors- if not replace.

I am writing this here to save you on a ton of time looking things up. In short this maintenance as well as a timing chain and hardware change will allow anyone to enjoy a venerable engine. It is most robust.

·
Premium Member
Mercedes Benz
2,051 Posts
Found a pic online. The outlet is on the side. The pump is lower pressure than K-Jet pump. It also as an internal pressure relief valve. There is a newer model that looks similar to the K-Jet. I think MBGraham posted a link.
All the 107 gear heads say, "Oooh! Ahhhh!"!

·
R/C107 Moderator
32,777 Posts
TO expound on the fluid dynamic question:
The fuel sits in a pot within the tank and this is where the initial fuel filter screen is (and it should be changed especially if it is original to the car). TO change that screen you will need a.... I think it was a 54mm socket I purchased before buying the tool from Mercedessource.
The fuel exits using gravity and meets the fuel dampener. Where it then matriculates into the in side of the filter whereby the pump creates the vortex that forces the fuel through the rest of the system to the in line of the fuel system. NOTE: to check fuel system pressure this is done at the return line by removing the return line and measuring the amount of fuel that exits in a given time period i.e., 30 seconds should equal a quart I believe?!

FURTHER NOTE: You will find many posts on this. I have 7 CIS cars and 1 d-jet. ALL OF MY CIS CARS, including and regrettably the best running one, IF AND WHEN ALLOWED TO SIT WITH UNTREATED AND INCORRECT AMOUNTS OF FUEL ( MEANING NOT FULLY FILLED OR FULLY EMPTIED) WILL GO BAD AND REQUIRE A GREAT DEAL OF REPAIR.
Secondly you will need to inspect and repair the d-jet injectors- if not replace.

I am writing this here to save you on a ton of time looking things up. In short this maintenance as well as a timing chain and hardware change will allow anyone to enjoy a venerable engine. It is most robust.
The screen takes a 46MM socket. The line from the damper cage goes to the pump not the filter. Measure fuel pressure with an inline gauge. I connected at the cold start valve line.

·
Premium Member
Mercedes Benz
2,051 Posts
The screen takes a 46MM socket. The line from the damper cage goes to the pump not the filter. Measure fuel pressure with an inline gauge. I connected at the cold start valve line.
That's correct. Thanks for clarifying!

·
Registered
1973 R107 350SL
12 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
No ...sorry....it doesn't show the same configuration . It has two accumulators.

i just want a photo of someones working configuration please

All MB schematics don't resemble the components most SLs have

·
Premium Member
Mercedes Benz
2,051 Posts
No ...sorry....it doesn't show the same configuration . It has two accumulators.

i just want a photo of someones working configuration please

All MB schematics don't resemble the components most SLs have
Huh wha-wha?

Viper- this is Ice Man! I'm out! You're in! I'm out! You're in! (Rowdie- this one's all yours)!

·
Premium Member
Mercedes Benz
2,051 Posts
I don't understand your comments........what do you mean?
Are you being rude or helpful?
There are many other options- I'm passing the baton to Rowdie. The schematics have alway been correct in my experience.

The "Huh- Wha-what?" Was in humor directed at you. The latter is not. It's meant to convey that I was done with commenting. But I thought I'd expound only to have grade school name calling appear in a response. Ma-bad.

·
R/C107 Moderator
32,777 Posts
I have never used nor support using an aftermarket pump on a D-Jet. The K-Jet pump can be a hazard due to higher pressures. Pretty simple if the view referred to in post 10 was the picture I posted of the package then suction side of what ever pump connects to the damper cage. Outlet side connects to the inlet of the filter.

·
Premium Member
Mercedes Benz
2,051 Posts
I have never used nor support using an aftermarket pump on a D-Jet. The K-Jet pump can be a hazard due to higher pressures. Pretty simple if the view referred to in post 10 was the picture I posted of the package then suction side of what ever pump connects to the damper cage. Outlet side connects to the inlet of the filter.
That is empirical data there! Can't be had anywhere else and is infinitely important for when I replace the pump on mine. I had considered using a k-jet and know of others who have. I'm not sure of the detrimental consequences but I'm sure they are a high probability of existing esp. when considering how pressure is a critical component of these systems.

1 - 19 of 19 Posts