Mercedes-Benz Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello All,

I have read every thread and article online but can't find a solution to this problem:
My sun visors won't stand firmly, my problem is that the friction screw (The one placed on the edge of the visor) doesn’t really engage or tighten so the visors don’t get fixed on the rod and keep falling down. do you have any thoughts to share in order fix this? This is very annoying as I have changed the clips and everything else seems to be fine. The rod it fixed firmly and doesn't move the problem remains the visor rotating loosely around the rod.

appreciate suggestions..

Thanks.
Hamed

·
Premium Member
2007 ML320CDI, 1959 220SE, 1971 280SL, 1982 380SL
593 Posts
I have not seen a good solution to this. I certainly would like to hear about one. It is a lousy design. That friction plate inside the mount which rests against the visor arm swivel ball deforms and the visor becomes loose. I have worked with a thin piece of galvanized sheet metal for a correction. I place the sheet metal (it must be thin) over a hex nut and then use a small rod or awl to tap it into a shape which somewhat matches the ball shape of the visor swivel. I then cut the sheet metal down to a very small size and work it into place over the ball and under that friction plate. The adjustment screw will then tighten down and sheet metal provides the necessary friction. You do need to work with the sheet metal to get it shaped close enough to fit. It does take some patience (and maybe a bit of swearing) but it has been successful in correcting German engineered "visor flop"

·
Registered
1986 560SL 1986 420 SEL
82 Posts
Tightening that screw seems like the correct way to adjust the tension but it will never work. You need to get to the ball and socket and put something in there. I used a piece of denim from old blue jeans. It is working for almost a year now but I expect to need to do it again. Next time I will get some thin leather.

The hardest part of the job IMO is to work up the courage to pull off the mirror!. Think of yourself straddling on the console and pulling the mirror towards you. Pull hard and it will snap out. There is a you tube showing this somewhere. Rest is done with a couple screw drivers.

·
Registered
11 Posts
I did this a couple months ago on my 560SL after I had reached my boiling point in frustration with the floppy visors. If I remember correctly, the process goes like this:
Remove the rearview mirror by pulling straight down. It feels like you're going to break it, but it is held in by a tension spring and that will release before anything would actually break.
Remove the screws in the female clip.
I think you have to also remove the bulb covers to access another screw to remove.
I also removed the visors themselves. Buds Benz' site has a good how-to on doing this, you just have to be careful to not pull so hard that you don't tug too hard on the wire that supplies power to the vanity lights inside the visor.
At this point, removing one more screw should allow you to remove the vinyl trim piece at the top of the windshield to access the ball joint screws.
In my case all I had to do was retighten those screws and my problems were solved.

Hope this helps.

·
Registered
'88 560SL '91 420SEL '73 280SEL '59 220S '73 450SL '74 450SL '86 560SL
52 Posts
I fixed mine similar to Biackbenz300se#. I used a piece of leather from a work glove between the ball and socket. Has been working fine for a long time.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts