Mercedes-Benz Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So I have Euro 1983 R107 280sl with AMG front and rear bumpers, side skirts and wheels and currently I am restoring it. Can someone tell me more about these car becasue I could't find any information about it. It has the AMG badges on the kit so I think its an original body kit. But I never seen a 280sl r107 with AMG body kit. So is this car a rare example and how much will it be worth?

·
R/C107 Moderator
31,472 Posts
AMG had franchise operations here in the US back in the 80's so the kit could have been added. AMG did modify M110 engines so it is possible. If you don't have documents proving it was modified by AMG you are kind of out of luck. All records were destroyed by Mercedes. Look for AMG stickers on the engine and elsewhere.

Attachments

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
I can't find any other AMG badges besides on the body kit and the wheels. When the dealer opened the VIN it said just 280SL. But as you said Mercedes destroyed all the records and maybe this car was originally an AMG. What you think?

·
R/C107 Moderator
31,472 Posts
It was originally a 280SL. AMG was an independent performance business. Owners would take or have the car taken to AMG. AMG installed what the owner wanted and was able to afford. Engine mods, transmission swaps, suspension, limited slip differential. Also appearance like body kits, wheels, gauges, Recaro seats. If you look in the Sticky EGv107 there is a performance section with info.

Location might help with where it was modified.

Post some pictures. Here is my '84 500SL.

Attachments

·
R/C107 Moderator
31,472 Posts
AMG side skirts and rear valance. Rear bumper is stock Mercedes. Trunk spoiler is Mercedes. Wheels are not AMG. They look like Ronal RS9 wheels.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts
About this Discussion
8 Replies
4 Participants
rowdie
Mercedes-Benz Forum
BenzWorld.org forum is one of the largest Mercedes-Benz owner websites offering the most comprehensive collection of Mercedes-Benz information anywhere in the world. The site includes MB Forums, News, Galleries, Publications, Classifieds, Events and much more!
Full Forum Listing