Mercedes-Benz Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Yes just like the title said, last weekend the battery light on my 92 600SEL just suddenly came on so I just drove home. I order a new voltage regulator and replace it on the back of the Alt. After assembling everything back together, start it up ok but the battery light is still on! I guess I got to replace the whole alternator, something I wanted to avoid in the first place. Is there something else on this alternator that went?

Thanks in advance,
Thai GI sends

·
Registered
SEC 600 V12 2dr COUPE (RHD) One of the chosen few.
2,233 Posts
Did you remove the alternator to do the replacement ?
Did you spin it up before you put the cover back on?
did you use a test meter on the output?
are you sure your connection plug is OK?

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Merc600sec

1. Yes the alternator was removed, not that hard at all, took about half hour work, (might have been my small Thai hands:p) I didn’t undo the sway bar at the ends just the two middle part and let it droop slowly. Hey I’ve read that you didn’t take it out when you did yours… Wow!, I would have thought it will be harder on a UK spec car…

2. “spin it up”?? (UK English?)

3. I have a basic tester with 6 LED, red, amber, green, three for the battery the rest for the alternator. Anyways the test shows battery is good and alternator was very low to nothingness.

4. Connection plug looks ok, I guess if I really researched I could find out the other end of them, then I’ll Ohm it out, (can we cheat and let me know where it is?)

Adrian,

Brushes? Diode Trio?...how/where (link to a post:eek:)

Thai GI sends...

·
Registered
SEC 600 V12 2dr COUPE (RHD) One of the chosen few.
2,233 Posts
looks like you have to take it out again..This time look at the copper comutator.. ses if it is clean and not dammaged. then look at the carbon brushes, did you put them in correctly. finaly you need a test meter to test the diodes on the regulator. when you put it back together spin the pully and look at the voltage output..

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Looks like this will have to wait, now my wife’s 95 C220 is acting up I got to get that going because it’s the kids transport and the 600SEL is our weekend driver. I swear it is coincidence, but I was washing the C220 then decided to do the engine bay with this power washer, well started the car give it some good sprays then it cut out! After that it was never the same, the idle race up and down and on acceleration is very jerky…I’ve check vacuum lines and electrical connections all seems to be ok… I’m going over to the W202 forum for a few days

Thai GI sends...

Yesterday 02:15 PM

·
Premium Member
1997 S600 (sold)
4,660 Posts
Looks like this will have to wait, now my wife’s 95 C220 is acting up I got to get that going because it’s the kids transport and the 600SEL is our weekend driver. I swear it is coincidence, but I was washing the C220 then decided to do the engine bay with this power washer, well started the car give it some good sprays then it cut out! After that it was never the same, the idle race up and down and on acceleration is very jerky…I’ve check vacuum lines and electrical connections all seems to be ok… I’m going over to the W202 forum for a few days

Thai GI sends...

Yesterday 02:15 PM
You do know about the wiring harness issues with early 90's MB's? Might be time for a wiring harness for the C220. Or time for a new throttle body due to the failing wiring that is part of the throttle body. The hunting idle is a classic symptom of a throttle body issue.

Brett

·
Registered
Current 1992 - 500SEL, W124 - 1989 230E (sold)
1,387 Posts
Go for drive and let it sit on a sun, i bet once it dries out it will be just fine but it could take several days....
the C220 that is, sun wont fix your alternator :)

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
miloking,

So what could it be, can I use my wife's hair dryer to do this? I'm having to carpool to work and walk around the base. Oh I give up my day driver (88 260E @ 327K miles) for the wife to take the kids school run, she is strong but burns oil (260E).

Thai GI sends...

·
Registered
Current 1992 - 500SEL, W124 - 1989 230E (sold)
1,387 Posts
That would probably take ages, does it run? if yes just take it around the block few times till it warms up then park it up and open the bonnet....the heat will be enough to dry out the water sitting inside the plugs and possibly inside the cracked wires....
I did this once before i got new wirring harness and took like 3 days before the car started to run normaly again....now i have new harness and washing engine makes no difference.

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
1. Just came back to close the thread for the C220 it was the spark plugs read the results here: http://www.benzworld.org/forums/w202-c-class/1379429-idle-race-up-down-jerky-acceleration-after-engine-wash.html

2. Well now back to this car, I've took the unit out cleaned and inspected thoroughly, looking at the date stamp it was the original "91". I did the spin test thing and nothing. Wanting to be sure I took it to Pep boys and had it bench tested, it gave the "less then 90V" reading so this thing is gone. There's nothing else I can do at my DIY level I've R/R the voltage regulator and the bushings are on the same assembly. I'm getting a new unit, I mean this current unit it lasted 17 years and 200K miles later, what can you expect...

3. Oh I got some quotes:
. a. Dealer: $350
. b. autopartsworld.com: $241.78
. c. partstrain.com: $254.95
. d. carpartswholesale.com: $249.95
. e. rockauto.com: $216.89

Thai GI sends...

1 - 11 of 11 Posts