1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
W140 S class, E31 850Ci, XC90 Exec AWD geartronic
447 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi everyone,

Its been some time since I was here.

I've spent a lot of time with my E39 touring. Last Saturday, a speeding bus came and swiped the front end off my stationary tourer. The damage was extensive. Thankfully no one was hurt and the brunt of the accident was taken by the engine bay of my Bimmer. The chassis is bent so she wont ever drive again. Just waiting for the insurance assessor to tell me she's officially been totalled.

I am now looking for a wagon or SUV as a workhorse replacement. What do you guys think of the american built W163 ML320 or ML270CDi?. I know I can ask this on the W163 board, but I value the unbias opinions I used to get on the W140 board almost over a year ago.

·
Registered
1995 S420
548 Posts
Hello W140Gill, Long time no see.

Sorry to hear of the demise of your BMW. It is always heartbreaking. If you are looking for a wagon or SUV a replacement, please, please do not consider the ML320 as a replacement. From all accounts, the American (Alabama) made SUV has had electrical and mechanical problems, from the date of its first introduction, and has been on the NOT RECOMMENDED LIST of everyone who has cared to evaluate its quality and reliability ratings such as Consumer Reports, Edmunds, J. D. Power, etc. Over the years, none of the problems were fixed, none of them went away. Based on your budget, a Lexus LX, GX or RX (with AWD) should be worthwhile replacements. Some people, I know that includes you Gill, may dislike Lexus, but own one and you'll understand. ;)

W140Gill - 4/13/2005 5:39 AM

Hi everyone,

Its been some time since I was here.

I've spent a lot of time with my E39 touring. Last Saturday, a speeding bus came and swiped the front end off my stationary tourer. The damage was extensive. Thankfully no one was hurt and the brunt of the accident was taken by the engine bay of my Bimmer. The chassis is bent so she wont ever drive again. Just waiting for the insurance assessor to tell me she's officially been totalled.

I am now looking for a wagon or SUV as a workhorse replacement. What do you guys think of the american built W163 ML320 or ML270CDi?. I know I can ask this on the W163 board, but I value the unbias opinions I used to get on the W140 board almost over a year ago.

·
Registered
W140 S class, E31 850Ci, XC90 Exec AWD geartronic
447 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Hey Ychachad, nice to hear from you again.

Yeah, its been some time since I was active here last. I have been doing some reading on the W163, and you are right. There are some common promblems associated with earlier models. What attracted me to the SUV was the price. The MLs are costing half the price the equivilent X5 or similar does. Obviously they are cheap on the used market for a reason - reason that you gave ie. troublesome and a bad reputation carried from early models.

I will have about $17k to spend on a replacement as soon as negotiations are complete with the insurance company.

I havent heard of or seen the Lexus GX or LX . Maybe these models are specific to the USA. The RX (aka Toyota Harrier) has only recently been introduced to the UK. There are early used grey imports of the model direct from Japans second hand market. I will take a look at one of these in the next couple of weeks.

Thanks for your valuable feedback
I will post some pictures of the tourer over the weekend.

[;)]

ychachad - 4/11/2005 2:05 PM

Hello W140Gill, Long time no see.

Sorry to hear of the demise of your BMW. It is always heartbreaking. If you are looking for a wagon or SUV a replacement, please, please do not consider the ML320 as a replacement. From all accounts, the American (Alabama) made SUV has had electrical and mechanical problems, from the date of its first introduction, and has been on the NOT RECOMMENDED LIST of everyone who has cared to evaluate its quality and reliability ratings such as Consumer Reports, Edmunds, J. D. Power, etc. Over the years, none of the problems were fixed, none of them went away. Based on your budget, a Lexus LX, GX or RX (with AWD) should be worthwhile replacements. Some people, I know that includes you Gill, may dislike Lexus, but own one and you'll understand. ;)

·
Registered
1995 S420
548 Posts
Hi again W140Gill.
The Lexus LX is also the Toyota Landcruiser, The GX is the Toyota 4Runner, and the RX is the Toyota Camry/Lexus ES based SUV.

The LX is very pricey, at $70k costing more than the flagship sedan LS430. It is huge, very off-road capable, carries a V8, very torquey, silky smooth, and is very fuel thirsty. Classic styling. Older ones had a V6 (stay away), and were even more thirsty than the V8s. Only AWD. She is supremely luxurious like an S-class, but don't let that fool you. She plays in the company of the MB G-class and the Land Rover, and has ruled the African Savannah for decades. Bulletproof and built like a tank. Very easy to maintain (still used on the African Plains). Manly man machine. She is the SUV killer.

The GX/4Runner is easier on gas, has a only V8 in the GX trim, has a V6 or V8 in the 4Runner trim, equally smooth, but is designed to stay on the road, with an occasional light-duty offroad outing. It has more modern styling than its bigger sibling. Price starts at $50k. Only AWD. It has the dubious disctinction of being the only Lexus that is "NOT RECOMMENDED" for some tranny problems. Your average luxury SUV, that is better than average.

The RX is strictly an on-road vehicle, is powered by a V6 from the Camry but a lot more torquey, is quite fuel efficient. Comes in FWD (stay away) or AWD. Girly SUV, but highly recommended for normal use. Canadian built, this is the only Lexus that is non-Japanese. Very Reliable.

Sorry for all the Lexus talk. I know this is the wrong place, but we are all MB lovers who are here to help MB owners.

The BMW X3s are junk and very under powered. The X5 is very sharp, but again suffers from reliability issues. The Bimmers are also American Made in South Carolina.
Visit www.lexus.com for more info.
Take care.

·
BenzWorld W140 Host
W140 S 320 L & R129 500SL
1,918 Posts
ychachad - 4/15/2005 5:06 PM

Hi again W140Gill.
The Lexus LX is also the Toyota Landcruiser, The GX is the Toyota 4Runner, and the RX is the Toyota Camry/Lexus ES based SUV.

The LX is very pricey, at $70k costing more than the flagship sedan LS430. It is huge, very off-road capable, carries a V8, very torquey, silky smooth, and is very fuel thirsty. Classic styling. Older ones had a V6 (stay away), and were even more thirsty than the V8s. Only AWD. She is supremely luxurious like an S-class, but don't let that fool you. She plays in the company of the MB G-class and the Land Rover, and has ruled the African Savannah for decades. Bulletproof and built like a tank. Very easy to maintain (still used on the African Plains). Manly man machine. She is the SUV killer.

The GX/4Runner is easier on gas, has a only V8 in the GX trim, has a V6 or V8 in the 4Runner trim, equally smooth, but is designed to stay on the road, with an occasional light-duty offroad outing. It has more modern styling than its bigger sibling. Price starts at $50k. Only AWD. It has the dubious disctinction of being the only Lexus that is "NOT RECOMMENDED" for some tranny problems. Your average luxury SUV, that is better than average.

The RX is strictly an on-road vehicle, is powered by a V6 from the Camry but a lot more torquey, is quite fuel efficient. Comes in FWD (stay away) or AWD. Girly SUV, but highly recommended for normal use. Canadian built, this is the only Lexus that is non-Japanese. Very Reliable.

Sorry for all the Lexus talk. I know this is the wrong place, but we are all MB lovers who are here to help MB owners.

The BMW X3s are junk and very under powered. The X5 is very sharp, but again suffers from reliability issues. The Bimmers are also American Made in South Carolina.
Visit www.lexus.com for more info.
Take care.
BMWs junk?[:(!][V]

·
Registered
Depends on the day!
13,337 Posts
IMHO, if you are looking at Anything remotely new from MB you're in for an unpleasent ride.. If I was going to buy a late model luxury car/SUV today I would look to Lexus.
Stay away from the ML's, they're just cheap trucks built in Alabama..

Jonathan

·
Registered
'02ML320
806 Posts
we own an e39 and w163 and the ml has been as trouble free as the bimmer. as long as you get the 02+ models you wont be disapointed. since youre coming from the 5 series, you might not appreciate the truck like ride of the ml, but it's alot more robust than the lexus counterpart. test drive one and youll notice the difference. since you were already involved in an accident, arent you glad you were in a bimmer, not a lexus? lexus sheet metal is frighetningly thin and hollow compared to mercedes. i wouldnt be caught dead driving a lexus (pardon the pun). 320 guzzles so you should look into the cdi version. i dont think the ml deserves the bad rep that it gets. if you compare the 140 forums to the 163, the s class has just as much or even more problem than the ml at a higher cost. what about the rust box w210? people still praise it despite all the problems it had. well, the ml might not be too refined, but it is good at what it was designed for.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts