Mercedes-Benz Forum banner

141 - 160 of 169 Posts

·
Registered
11 Posts
Easy Replacement

I am not the greatest mechanic, but that was one of the easiest jobs I've ever done. Took me less than an hour.

Perhaps it was only a leak, but if that earlier post about the bags lasting 68k is true, it was time anyway.

Hats off to BenzWorld and its members, Arnott and its discount code.

The dealership can eat my shorts.

I called Arnott and they (no longer?) take the core for $50 as posted elsewhere. What should I do with these old bags? One is still good for sure, the other may have a leak (or is bad).
Sell it on ebay

·
Registered
13 Posts
randomly my rear dropped on my 2010 R last week. I played with it a bit and saw no issues. It randomly raises properly and lowers, at what seem like times it intends to rebalance itself(meaning while driving). As a test, once it raised to a proper level, I disconnect the wire harness from the valve block. The car is staying up no problem and I am getting the dummy sign on my dash. The compressor seems to be fine to load the car, my question is- If the air lines are good, the bags are holding, and the compressor seems to operate fine, what is left? The valve block and is there anything else?

·
Registered
2008 AMG CLK63 Conv., 2012 R350 4-Matic, Wife's 2015 C300 sedan
9,259 Posts
^If it ain't broke don't mend it.

·
Registered
11 Posts
I had an issue where the car would raise fine and would stay full all day and sometimes for a couple of days, then it would drop overnight. It was during summer and the car was garage parked so it wasn't because of cold temps. I ended up raising the rear end and checking the fitting, spraying the bag with soap water to find any leaks but still had the issue. I was about to buy another one and just replace it, but my father-in-law has a star scanner and checked it out and found out that it was uncalibrated and way off. After he calibrated the bags using the computer I didn't have any more issues. You may be able to find someone on craigslist or facebook that has a star scanner and can check on the calibration of your bags and do it cheaper than the dealer.

·
Registered
9,259 Posts
My coil spring conversion is still going strong after 100,000 miles and I can't say I ever noticed any change in the ride quality either.

·
Registered
13 Posts
I had an issue where the car would raise fine and would stay full all day and sometimes for a couple of days, then it would drop overnight. It was during summer and the car was garage parked so it wasn't because of cold temps. I ended up raising the rear end and checking the fitting, spraying the bag with soap water to find any leaks but still had the issue. I was about to buy another one and just replace it, but my father-in-law has a star scanner and checked it out and found out that it was uncalibrated and way off. After he calibrated the bags using the computer I didn't have any more issues. You may be able to find someone on craigslist or facebook that has a star scanner and can check on the calibration of your bags and do it cheaper than the dealer.
Would it drop only when sitting or in use?

·
Registered
9,259 Posts
Six hundred bucks. It's an extra hundred for the module that stops the warning coming up on the dash. I didn't bother.

·
Registered
11 Posts
Would it drop only when sitting or in use?
It would drop when sitting. I never had an issue with it dropping while driving.
I'm not sure on this, but I don't think it is supposed to calibrate while driving. When the car is turned on it should calibrate, and inflate or deflate to keep a certain pressure.
If something is going on during the ride and its not the bag or the fitting and they're holding air then it could be the sensor or calibration is off

·
Registered
9,259 Posts
^ Yes - level position sensors are supposed to do that. It's not unknown for those to fail, however. They are an easy cheap thing to replace too.

·
Registered
9,259 Posts
There are little linkages with switches at the top. The switches have plastic arms on them connected to one end of the linkage and wires coming out the back. They're also used as headlight level sensors.

·
Registered
13 Posts
There are little linkages with switches at the top. The switches have plastic arms on them connected to one end of the linkage and wires coming out the back. They're also used as headlight level sensors. View attachment 2611515
I will look into this, I assume there are 2, one for each side? I did just have my struts done on all 4 corners, but it was fine for 2 weeks prior to this.....so I doubt they have anything to do with it, other than possibly altering the initial ride hide as they are fresh?

·
Registered
9,259 Posts
There's one sensor on each corner. My R350 only had air springs on the back, so only 2 in my case. They send a signal to the control unit saying "hey I'm a bit low on this corner" and that kicks in the compressor to raise the car up again.

strutmasters.com

is where I got my kit from. Nicely powder coated springs, new shocks and the plastic bosses to go in the ends of the coil springs were all included in the basic kit.

Now I think they ship[ the kit without the shocks and it's only $369 as a result.

Only the electronic module to defeat the dash warning is extra. With a bit of effort you can swap the airbags out for the new coil springs in under a day on the drive. I would borrow (from O'Reilly or AutoZone) a coil spring compressor kit to help though.

·
Registered
13 Posts
There's one sensor on each corner. My R350 only had air springs on the back, so only 2 in my case. They send a signal to the control unit saying "hey I'm a bit low on this corner" and that kicks in the compressor to raise the car up again.

strutmasters.com

is where I got my kit from. Nicely powder coated springs, new shocks and the plastic bosses to go in the ends of the coil springs were all included in the basic kit.

Now I think they ship[ the kit without the shocks and it's only $369 as a result.

Only the electronic module to defeat the dash warning is extra. With a bit of effort you can swap the airbags out for the new coil springs in under a day on the drive. I would borrow (from O'Reilly or AutoZone) a coil spring compressor kit to help though.
Thanks bud. Yeah, mu buddy who did the shocks said the front spring tension was way beyond anything he has ever changed in another vehicle. I may look at the change to springs as I'm hoping to hand the car off to the kids and this would take out a major part of maintenance cost.

·
Registered
9,259 Posts
^ Apart from the current problem I've been having with a clacking front drive shaft (I hope to have finally narrowed the problem down to) that's been the only real issue I've had with my R-Class, now with 210,000 miles on the clock.

For the annual inspection I'm going to have to replace at least the four oxygen sensors in the exhausts, possibly the two (yes there are two) catalysts as well. Other than that just running items like brakes and tires.

·
Registered
13 Posts
^ Apart from the current problem I've been having with a clacking front drive shaft (I hope to have finally narrowed the problem down to) that's been the only real issue I've had with my R-Class, now with 210,000 miles on the clock.

For the annual inspection I'm going to have to replace at least the four oxygen sensors in the exhausts, possibly the two (yes there are two) catalysts as well. Other than that just running items like brakes and tires.
Im at 197k, I had a bunch of stuff done under CPO, only because I had the coverage. Generally the car has been almost perfect, even the consumables as you mention are reasonable. I may be getting bored with it, but there is nothing like it in the market. I have considered updating to a 2012, but feel like I know what I have with my rig, why change a known entity.

·
Registered
11 Posts
I will look into this, I assume there are 2, one for each side? I did just have my struts done on all 4 corners, but it was fine for 2 weeks prior to this.....so I doubt they have anything to do with it, other than possibly altering the initial ride hide as they are fresh?
Possibly damaged occurred during the service?

141 - 160 of 169 Posts