Mercedes-Benz Forum banner

21 - 40 of 142 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
I have a similar problem - my 2006 R350 seriously leans to the left I was told it was the compressor malfunctioning - need to be replaced - $1100 not covered in the 3rd year of a 3 year extended warranty - damn

·
Registered
3 Posts
Question on Airmatic Raising Automatically

In in 2007 R500 - When driving strictly on Local California streets - Suspension sometimes lowers and raises itself. I want driving from Highway into streets, but only in streets. Is this normal? I asked MB Dealer to check if something was wrong as usual - nothing. Could you guys help if with your experience.

·
Registered
25 Posts
In in 2007 R500 - When driving strictly on Local California streets - Suspension sometimes lowers and raises itself. I want driving from Highway into streets, but only in streets. Is this normal? I asked MB Dealer to check if something was wrong as usual - nothing. Could you guys help if with your experience.
It is my understanding this is normal. If i recall correctly, the manual states that the car lowers at speeds above 45 MPH.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Suspension r350 thasnks

I just replaced both of my rear suspension air bags. My R class has the full Airmatic suspension, which I have already replaced myself the front ones last year at $1000 x 2. I found a company Air Suspension Kits, Air Shocks, Suspension Parts, Struts - Arnott Industries, which sells remanufactured suspension parts. I bought the set of two rear air bags for $299, compared to $550 each ($1100 for both rears) from MB . I installed them yesterday, and so far they are performing like OEM. The air bags are manufactured by Continental, which makes tires, and have a division which is Contitech that makes air bellows and other air suspension related parts. Arnott offers lifetime warranty, as I was hesitant because I thought their would not perform as well or that they would pop when loaded, but so far I am pleased. The replacement is so simple, as it also comes with instructions. The steps for removal are the following:
1.Raise up the vehicle from the body or rear cradle to allow rear tires to drop down.
2.Remove Compressor Fuse located in Engine Compartment (The second large orange 40 amp fuse is the compressor's). Remember to remove key from ingition.
3.Once vehicle raised from rear, removed the rear tires
4. Remove the airline at the top of the air bag on the opposite side from the wheel with an open 10mm wrench and remove the adapter from the line, as the new one already has such piece.
4. Pry the air bag down from the top with a flat screwdriver to release it from the locking pins at the top.
5.Remove the air bag by squeezing it through.
6.Remove and install the white securing pins with a flat screwdriver
7. Install the new air bag with the air inlet towards the inside. Make sure the bottom is seated properly to match the notch.
Reconnect the airline and ensure that it is all the way in and that the colored marks on the airline are against the fitting in the airbag (just push it hard until it cannot go more).
8. Reinstall tires, lower vehicle (the vehicle will drop the wheels into the wheelwells), reinstall the fuse, and turn on the car so that compressor fills the bags (you may hear a couple of pops, but they are normal).
9.Check tha the vehicle does not drop all the way into the wheelwells, as it is a sign that you still have an airleak (leaking air at the connection fitting is the most likely problem), otherwise, you are done!
so after raising car and removing tires, do you also remove wheelwell cover? thanks

·
Registered
6 Posts
I just replaced both of my rear suspension air bags. My R class has the full Airmatic suspension, which I have already replaced myself the front ones last year at $1000 x 2. I found a company Air Suspension Kits, Air Shocks, Suspension Parts, Struts - Arnott Industries, which sells remanufactured suspension parts. I bought the set of two rear air bags for $299, compared to $550 each ($1100 for both rears) from MB . I installed them yesterday, and so far they are performing like OEM. The air bags are manufactured by Continental, which makes tires, and have a division which is Contitech that makes air bellows and other air suspension related parts. Arnott offers lifetime warranty, as I was hesitant because I thought their would not perform as well or that they would pop when loaded, but so far I am pleased. The replacement is so simple, as it also comes with instructions. The steps for removal are the following:
1.Raise up the vehicle from the body or rear cradle to allow rear tires to drop down.
2.Remove Compressor Fuse located in Engine Compartment (The second large orange 40 amp fuse is the compressor's). Remember to remove key from ingition.
3.Once vehicle raised from rear, removed the rear tires
4. Remove the airline at the top of the air bag on the opposite side from the wheel with an open 10mm wrench and remove the adapter from the line, as the new one already has such piece.
4. Pry the air bag down from the top with a flat screwdriver to release it from the locking pins at the top.
5.Remove the air bag by squeezing it through.
6.Remove and install the white securing pins with a flat screwdriver
7. Install the new air bag with the air inlet towards the inside. Make sure the bottom is seated properly to match the notch.
Reconnect the airline and ensure that it is all the way in and that the colored marks on the airline are against the fitting in the airbag (just push it hard until it cannot go more).
8. Reinstall tires, lower vehicle (the vehicle will drop the wheels into the wheelwells), reinstall the fuse, and turn on the car so that compressor fills the bags (you may hear a couple of pops, but they are normal).
9.Check tha the vehicle does not drop all the way into the wheelwells, as it is a sign that you still have an airleak (leaking air at the connection fitting is the most likely problem), otherwise, you are done!
Eric,
I replaced one bag in no time. And es it took longer to remove and re-install the tire!!!!!!!! THe other issue that took a little time was the airhose..difficult to get a wrench in there. All toll it took 40 mins to replace the blown bag. I will do the other soon. So, Mercedes wanted $2500 i did it for $29 plus shipping and a little sweat!

·
Registered
22 Posts
Well i want to thank who ever posted this as i have just had my rears replaced with the Arnott and including install at my local shop total cost 406.00, i had called the dealership here and they wanted 780 per unit and 1000.00 for install. Just picked up the car so only time will tell but with a lifetime warranty from Arnott and only a 2 year warranty from MB, this was a total no brainer, saved over $2,000.00 real world dollars, Thanks to all who contributed. I owe you one!

·
Registered
22 Posts
After 1 week ,the install and rear air suspension is working awesome. No problem at all and with a lifetime warranty from Arrnott, this is the ultimate no brainer. With a 2 year warranty from MB at 5 times the price get serious.

·
Registered
89 Posts
After 1 week ,the install and rear air suspension is working awesome. No problem at all and with a lifetime warranty from Arrnott, this is the ultimate no brainer. With a 2 year warranty from MB at 5 times the price get serious.
Hi Tom, which shop did you have it done at?

Cheers

·
Registered
5 Posts
Many thanks to the OP!!!

Not to sound repetitive here, but after purchasing my first Mercedes, which is a 07 R320 CDI with 63k miles on the OD, after a month of ownership the rear passenger bag was the first and only thing I've had an issue with. I found a really good independent MB shop and they wanted $700.00 for one side only!!! After a little google searching and finding this forum and thread, I was able to purchase the replacement bags thru Arnott Industries shipped to my house for $285.00.. Ordered on Monday, received on Thursday, and after an 1 hour's work, I had both sides replaced and fully functioning like new!!!! Hats off to the OP for locating and writing up this thread... You saved many a boat load of money that I can now use for some other mods!!!!

Thanks a million!!!!!!:bowdown:

·
Registered
2 Posts
Thanks for the original post and followups.

I believe I have a similar problem on the wife's 2006 R350 (75k miles), at least the pictures seem the same. The fact that the left rear stays up tells me the compressors are working.

So I took the plunge and got the Arnot air springs in today. As many of the other posters have said, it takes longer to jack and remove the wheel than it does to swap out the spring.

Now only having a little time tonight, I thus far have only replaced the one on the side that was riding low. If there was a problem in an air spring, wouldn't it be on the low side? My problem is that the car seems to be riding the same as before the swap out. The system inflated it enough to raise the car off the wheel, but it doesn't completely level.

Is it possible that a problem exists on the high side rear also? Should I be spending time swapping the second spring, or is this evidence of a sensor or other problem?

Thanks in advance for your help and time!

Dan

P.S. Nice to see plenty of DIY'ers in the MB universe .. I'm used to it with the Saabs and VWs I've had, but good to have it for MB also.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Thanks for the original post and followups.

I believe I have a similar problem on the wife's 2006 R350 (75k miles), at least the pictures seem the same. The fact that the left rear stays up tells me the compressors are working.

So I took the plunge and got the Arnot air springs in today. As many of the other posters have said, it takes longer to jack and remove the wheel than it does to swap out the spring.

Now only having a little time tonight, I thus far have only replaced the one on the side that was riding low. If there was a problem in an air spring, wouldn't it be on the low side? My problem is that the car seems to be riding the same as before the swap out. The system inflated it enough to raise the car off the wheel, but it doesn't completely level.

Is it possible that a problem exists on the high side rear also? Should I be spending time swapping the second spring, or is this evidence of a sensor or other problem?

Thanks in advance for your help and time!

Dan

P.S. Nice to see plenty of DIY'ers in the MB universe .. I'm used to it with the Saabs and VWs I've had, but good to have it for MB also.
I'm experiencing the same issue you have noted above. Although, I did replace both rear bags at the same time although only one was having a problem. I have now checked the air line and fitting and even swapped the ride height sensors to see if the sensor was bad. Still having the same problem of the right rear side sits about 1/2 inch lower than the left. I'm puzzled now as I'm not sure what the problem is. Hopefully, someone here with a little more knowledge will chime in for assistance.

·
Registered
2 Posts
My problem seems to have resolved itself. I'm guessing that I wasn't being patient enough, but sometime mid-morning after running an errand around town, we started the car up, and it leveled itself.

So the fix of the OP with the Arnott parts has apparently worked for me, and thus far I have only replaced the air spring on the low side. Too cold and wet to do the other one today, so it's been moved to next weekend.

Curious however, is there a FAQ or Howto on the sensors themselves? Where did you find that information. My cursory searching hasn't yielded much.

·
Registered
8 Posts
I'm experiencing the same issue you have noted above. Although, I did replace both rear bags at the same time although only one was having a problem. I have now checked the air line and fitting and even swapped the ride height sensors to see if the sensor was bad. Still having the same problem of the right rear side sits about 1/2 inch lower than the left. I'm puzzled now as I'm not sure what the problem is. Hopefully, someone here with a little more knowledge will chime in for assistance.
Same problem on my wife's car, I replaced one last fall and the second today, but i still have the car lower on the rear left side. So i played with the level sensor on both side and you can see the car moving from both side, but whemn everything is install, left side stay lower.

What can be the issue ???
(P.s) i dont have air bag suspension at front.

·
Registered
440 Posts
Same problem on my wife's car, I replaced one last fall and the second today, but i still have the car lower on the rear left side. So i played with the level sensor on both side and you can see the car moving from both side, but whemn everything is install, left side stay lower.

What can be the issue ???
(P.s) i dont have air bag suspension at front.
You mean the passenger rear side right? like the post you referred to?

It is normal for the rear passenger (right) side to be a bit lower. This is to take account for the ride height once the driver sits in the car.

-Robert

·
Registered
3 Posts
Want to Thank everyone for their post. This help me out a great deal making the decision to replace the airbags myself.
I did have a couple of issues that I thought I would share just in case somebody has the same.
My right side rear airbag was 100% bad when I started replacing it it was already deflated.
The problem I had with the drivers side one was that it was completely full, at this point I was thinking that this air bag was defective as well because it had no give.
I did not truly understanding the system so I started to cut the air bag open with a knife, luckily no one was hurt from my stupidity when the air bag pop.. what a bang!!
At least I was able to install the 2nd Arnott airbag now so I did.
I put all wheels back on and started the car.
The car leveled out what a great feeling, until I drove it a little and the light came on saying that the car was to low, Happy feeling gone.....
I thought back on what I did and I could not remember when placing the house back into the air bag that it clicked in place like the 2nd one did.
I Took the wheel off and I was right the hose on the right side pooped out, so I pushed it back in.
The problem I then had is that since all the air went into the other airbag that was all the way up again and no way of realising the pressure.
I felt that if I could release the pressure it would level out.
I then talk to a Mercedes mechanic and I was told that they need to put a computer on it to level it out, I paid $118 for them to do that and the car leveled out and was fine.
Happy feeling again..

·
Registered
2 Posts
I have a 2007 R350 without Airmatic.My rear right side of the car would drop overnight when the weather was cold.So I read all the mercedes forums and decided to replace the airbag.Very easy to do but the next morning the car dropped again.$300 gone.What I did next was to swap the airlines(left to right and right to left) from the block valve which is located above the compressor below the right headlight.The next morning the left side of the car dropped so I concluded that it was not the airbag.It was the block valve.I bought it from the dealer for $175 and replaced it for 15 minutes.The car has been nice and leveled since then.I lost 300 bucks for the airbags but at least I have spare bags now.I hope this is going to be helpful.

·
Registered
3 Posts
I recently bought a r-350 second hand with 70k on the dash, my wife loves it as well as i do but come next morning the R is leaning on the passenger rear tire almost to the point of the tire rubbing on the inner fender. I manage to buy the a new bag for 150.00, i tell you to replace that bag was as easy as removing the tire. Thank's to the forum that helped me on fixing my wife's car as she is pleased. :) Thank's

·
Registered
2 Posts
I have a 06 R350 and the I was getting an error stop vehicle is to low and then this noise would come on and the car would go back up eventually the noise got louder and the car stop raising and stayed low completely....I took it to a mechanic and I was told it was my airmatic pump...I purchased the pump at a dealer and the mechanic installed the pump today for $150. I got in the vehicle and I'm still hearing noise and I can see the car rising. When the car sit for a long time it's completely low and on my dash it says wait briefly as the car goes up...it goes up and the message disappear, I need help because my car has never done either and I'm thinking with the new pump this shouldn't still be happening....Could something else be causing the back to be low?? and if the pump is installed correctly does it still make noise??

21 - 40 of 142 Posts