Mercedes-Benz Forum banner

81 - 98 of 98 Posts

·
Outstanding Contributor , Bob's Your Uncle!
83 280 SL- 5 speed-The PIG
30,869 Posts
Given the role of hooch as a social lubricant, and the fierce opinions on what constitutes a good drink, I'd say we're well into oil territory.
GTG in 2022 (COVID willing) Wentworth Nord, Quebec.

·
Registered
1983 380SL, ivory/dk brown, 46k miles, dual roller timing chain. 1986 560SL, red/white, 190K mile.
7,857 Posts
Maybe we ought to make a thread "Is your R107 driving you to drink" ???

·
Registered
1985 280SL (Euro)
360 Posts
Gin gin was mother's ruin
Father was cut short by wine
Poor Auntie Jane was a prey to champagne
While Uncle preferred turpentine
My sister was caught getting frisky on port
Mixed with stout mixed with whiskey and and wine
But it was gin that was mother's ruin
And mother's ruin will be mine!

·
Registered
1974 450SL, previously 1986 420SEL
204 Posts
I have to admit, I'm basically a whisky/whiskey person with or without the"e", Scotch is my go to whisky, but Irish whiskey and Kentucky Bourbon whiskey are my relievers, something I developed in college.
In the 50+ years that I have enjoyed a cocktail before dinner, however, I would never turn down a classic Dry Martini. What I don't understand is how SO many folks have bastardized the Dry Martini into something that's basically unrecognizable to many of us old timers.

So, back to basics (at least my basics on this Classic!):
Take a tumbler, place some ice cubes inside, rinse the ice around to chill the tumbler, and pour off the excess water.
Add a drop of Angostura bitters (optional, but classic!)
Typically, 1/2 ounce dry vermouth and 2 1/2 ounces gin. These proportions can be modified, generally with the amount of vermouth (a few avoid it altogether!
Stir the mixture until well chilled before pouring into a clean, rinsed chilled martini glass
Traditionally, rinsed green olives (one or more on a toothpick) are used for garnish
In my mind, a Dry Martini is the King of Cocktails. It's almost a spiritual experience!
However, you're still allowed to label your combination of "Sludge" if you deviate too far!

I got my coaster and "I'm going to the couch, Jeannie". Cheers!
Sounds great, but why do you dump all that vermouth in it? I just swirl it around in the martini glass, and if you toss it out just right it leaves the perfect amount. Also, the ice has to be clear ice, not the stuff from the ice trays in your freezer.

·
30,869 Posts

·
Registered
1989 560SL; 2014 E350
1,570 Posts
I'll change your recipe a bit. Please recognise that I live near Milwaukee and my favorite is beer. However, I do like a very dry vodka martini. 3 drops (1/8 oz?) dry vermouth and 3 oz Absolute. If the martini is larger, add a drop of dry vermouth for every shot (1.5 oz) of Absolute or your favorite vodka.
No worries! The measurements that I provided are only traditional amounts. I'm with your careful use of vermouth, and and the reward is it lets you have more gin! À votre santé! (Cheers!)

·
Registered
1989 560SL; 2014 E350
1,570 Posts
Sounds great, but why do you dump all that vermouth in it? I just swirl it around in the martini glass, and if you toss it out just right it leaves the perfect amount. Also, the ice has to be clear ice, not the stuff from the ice trays in your freezer.
The use of vermouth is a judgement call probably in light of the typical measurements, but I'm fully behind your technique of adding a dash of vermouth, switching it around, and pouring it out. The remainder is all that's ever needed. As to the ice, where does one get ice if not out of the freezer?

·
Registered
1987 560 SL, 1990 300E 4Matic
794 Posts
Now I feel so unsophisticated. :) I'm a beer drinker. Hofbrau Dunkel is my "go to", but I'll also bring home other dark beers, some bourbon barrel aged stouts, and imperials, especially during winter months. Mostly ambers during the summer months. I usually have some red wine with dinner. My (Italian) wife got me into that.

·
Registered
1983 380SL, ivory/dk brown, 46k miles, dual roller timing chain. 1986 560SL, red/white, 190K mile.
7,857 Posts
Although I've found that my puppy attracts more women than either of my R107s.

Reactions: CousinMB

·
Registered
204 Posts
The use of vermouth is a judgement call probably in light of the typical measurements, but I'm fully behind your technique of adding a dash of vermouth, switching it around, and pouring it out. The remainder is all that's ever needed. As to the ice, where does one get ice if not out of the freezer?
We are now really off topic. A clear ice machine makes ice by spraying water on a freezing surface, so the water never sits and the ice has no impurities in it. At some point the cycle reverses, heating the freezing surface so the ice drops off in cubes, thimbles, bullets, or whatever into a bin. In ice water the ice is completely clear. This is what they use in bars and most restaurants. I'm not sure, but perhaps these days some residential refrigerator/freezers have clear ice makers. My fridge is ancient and I don't even know if the icemaker works. I have a standalone clear ice machine.

·
Registered
1989 560SL; 2014 E350
1,570 Posts
We are now really off topic. I'm not sure, but perhaps these days some residential refrigerator/freezers have clear ice makers. My fridge is ancient and I don't even know if the icemaker works. I have a standalone clear ice machine.
I agree this is actually so far off topic that we;re going off-topic-squared!

So, I have a refrigerator with an ice maker. I can hear the water entering the area where the ice forms, and the cubes drop into the bin once they're frozen. The entire cycle repeats and keeps repeating until I throw the lever to stop the cycle. When the bin is almost empty, I throw the lever again to restart the ice maker. The cubes are clear so I'm thinking that this 3 year old fridge might be the "clear ice maker" that your describing. Live and learn!

·
30,869 Posts
Off topic off shmopic.

Open season boys.

OP is on board.

·
Registered
1987 560SL (L.Tonk) [92,700 miles]
436 Posts
Topic drift is one of my favorite things about this forum.

On the topic of ice, we installed a softener and reverse-osmosis filter to deal with our hard water woes. One side benefit is amazing ice from the fridge ice maker.

·
Registered
204 Posts
I agree this is actually so far off topic that we;re going off-topic-squared!

So, I have a refrigerator with an ice maker. I can hear the water entering the area where the ice forms, and the cubes drop into the bin once they're frozen. The entire cycle repeats and keeps repeating until I throw the lever to stop the cycle. When the bin is almost empty, I throw the lever again to restart the ice maker. The cubes are clear so I'm thinking that this 3 year old fridge might be the "clear ice maker" that your describing. Live and learn!
Could be. If it is a clear ice maker it would be spraying water up on a frozen metal surface so the impurities in the water run off and the clear ice accumulates on the cold surface. At some point the refrigeration cycle reverses so the metal surface gets hot and the accumulated ice drops or slides off into a bin. I have seen them where the ice slides off as a sheet onto a heated grid that separates the ice into cubes. I have seen others where the freezing surface looks like knobs, and the ice drops off in bullet or thimble shapes. The one I have now makes sheets of cubes that break apart once they fall in to the bin.

81 - 98 of 98 Posts