Mercedes-Benz Forum banner

61 - 80 of 98 Posts

·
Outstanding Contributor , Bob's Your Uncle!
83 280 SL- 5 speed-The PIG
30,869 Posts

·
Registered
2000 sl320 stepped tyres
277 Posts
Discussion Starter · #67 ·
1x Russian standard
2x Extra dry vermouth
Shake with ice
Top off with lemonade 😋

·
30,869 Posts
Iceberg is pretty good Canadian Vodka.
Grey Goose one of my faves, as well.

Some Vodkas made for straight up, some as mixes and some for a good Martini. :)

·
Registered
2000 sl320 stepped tyres
277 Posts
Discussion Starter · #70 ·
Back to the op
Here is the list of what has been done so far:

Drained and replaced fuel tank
Replaced fuel sender
Replaced all the rubber fuel hoses attached to the fuel tank
Replaced the fuel accumulator
Replaced the fuel filter
Tested fuel pumps (seem to be working)
Drained and replaced engine oil and filter
Drained and replaced transmission oil and filter
Replaced battery
Replaced all 3 of the drive belts
Replaced all 4 rotors, brake calipers and pads
Replaced all 4 tires
Replaced ignition
Think I'm going to stick with the R129

·
Registered
1989 560SL; 2014 E350
1,570 Posts
I have to admit, I'm basically a whisky/whiskey person with or without the"e", Scotch is my go to whisky, but Irish whiskey and Kentucky Bourbon whiskey are my relievers, something I developed in college.
In the 50+ years that I have enjoyed a cocktail before dinner, however, I would never turn down a classic Dry Martini. What I don't understand is how SO many folks have bastardized the Dry Martini into something that's basically unrecognizable to many of us old timers.

So, back to basics (at least my basics on this Classic!):
Take a tumbler, place some ice cubes inside, rinse the ice around to chill the tumbler, and pour off the excess water.
Add a drop of Angostura bitters (optional, but classic!)
Typically, 1/2 ounce dry vermouth and 2 1/2 ounces gin. These proportions can be modified, generally with the amount of vermouth (a few avoid it altogether!
Stir the mixture until well chilled before pouring into a clean, rinsed chilled martini glass
Traditionally, rinsed green olives (one or more on a toothpick) are used for garnish
In my mind, a Dry Martini is the King of Cocktails. It's almost a spiritual experience!
However, you're still allowed to label your combination of "Sludge" if you deviate too far!

I got my coaster and "I'm going to the couch, Jeannie". Cheers!

·
Registered
1974 450SL (always needs something!) new djet engine 1991; 1961 Besasie X-3 (being restored)
1,225 Posts
I have to admit, I'm basically a whisky/whiskey person with or without the"e", Scotch is my go to whisky, but Irish whiskey and Kentucky Bourbon whiskey are my relievers, something I developed in college.
In the 50+ years that I have enjoyed a cocktail before dinner, however, I would never turn down a classic Dry Martini. What I don't understand is how SO many folks have bastardized the Dry Martini into something that's basically unrecognizable to many of us old timers.

So, back to basics (at least my basics on this Classic!):
Take a tumbler, place some ice cubes inside, rinse the ice around to chill the tumbler, and pour off the excess water.
Add a drop of Angostura bitters (optional, but classic!)
Typically, 1/2 ounce dry vermouth and 2 1/2 ounces gin. These proportions can be modified, generally with the amount of vermouth (a few avoid it altogether!
Stir the mixture until well chilled before pouring into a clean, rinsed chilled martini glass
Traditionally, rinsed green olives (one or more on a toothpick) are used for garnish
In my mind, a Dry Martini is the King of Cocktails. It's almost a spiritual experience!
However, you're still allowed to label your combination of "Sludge" if you deviate too far!

I got my coaster and "I'm going to the couch, Jeannie". Cheers!
I'll change your recipe a bit. Please recognise that I live near Milwaukee and my favorite is beer. However, I do like a very dry vodka martini. 3 drops (1/8 oz?) dry vermouth and 3 oz Absolute. If the martini is larger, add a drop of dry vermouth for every shot (1.5 oz) of Absolute or your favorite vodka.

·
Registered
1983 380SL, ivory/dk brown, 46k miles, dual roller timing chain. 1986 560SL, red/white, 190K mile.
7,856 Posts
I have an unsophisticated palate ... I just drink Beer, now Yuengling Beer, and occasionally Black Jack mixed with 7-Up. Watched Mad Men and tried an Old Fashioned and was not impressed. Decades ago tried a Martini a few times but never really liked it. I do have a bottle of tequila that I often mix with a red punch. Like I said, I have an unsophisticated palate ... but I do drive a Mercedes :)

·
30,869 Posts
I'm not a Gin lover. Or Vermouth. LOL.
I just like my Dirty wet.
Tablespoon of olive juice, freepour Vodka...3 fingers?...shaken with ice...poured into a Martini glass containing 3 or 4 olives.

I might even drink 2. Or 3.

Problem with the likker and a traditionally beer drinking Nobby is I forget that I'm NOT drinking beer. And I forget to sip.

That shit catches up with me. :)

·
SuperModerator
1986/1990 W126
16,482 Posts
I'm not a Gin lover. Or Vermouth. LOL.
I just like my Dirty wet.
Tablespoon of olive juice, freepour Vodka...3 fingers?...shaken with ice...poured into a Martini glass containing 3 or 4 olives.

I might even drink 2. Or 3.

Problem with the likker and a traditionally beer drinking Nobby is I forget that I'm NOT drinking beer. And I forget to sip.

That shit catches up with me. :)
Haha rum is my enemy this way. I like it, but it's not my usual cider 😂

·
Registered
1974 450SL (always needs something!) new djet engine 1991; 1961 Besasie X-3 (being restored)
1,225 Posts
I thought I saw something about this turning into an "oil thread"? :LOL:

·
Registered
1987 560SL (L.Tonk) [92,700 miles]
436 Posts
I developed a taste for Skyy vodka while in SF. Has a bit of a bite to it that was missing from the others mentioned (which are all fine vodkas, btw).

Gin has enjoyed a renaissance, so it's hard to pin down a single one. My current favourites are Royalmount out of Montréal, and Dillon's from near Niagara. I prefer a G&T but sometimes on ice with a dash of bitters and lime can hit the spot.

I drink whiskey too fast for it to stay in the house. Except bourbon -- never developed a taste for that beyond a Maker's Manhattan.

Tequila is an interesting tipple. My buddy runs an upscale Mexican restaurant in California and has a wall of fine tequila that he would give us free access to when we visited. The range and diversity of flavours was incredible. Good tequila is outrageously expensive in Ontario so I've had to give up that particular vice.

Given the role of hooch as a social lubricant, and the fierce opinions on what constitutes a good drink, I'd say we're well into oil territory. I look forward to a time we can meet up and do a taste test.

61 - 80 of 98 Posts