Mercedes-Benz Forum banner

41 - 60 of 98 Posts

·
Outstanding Contributor , Bob's Your Uncle!
83 280 SL- 5 speed-The PIG
30,869 Posts
No, just shite. This is what we have to put up with. Thats considered a good starting point. You don't know your born over there 😉
LOL. I have a Euro.

Oh the irony.

·
Registered
1983 380SL, ivory/dk brown, 46k miles, dual roller timing chain. 1986 560SL, red/white, 190K mile.
7,857 Posts
Ouch!! The R107 I parted out looked better than that!!

·
Registered
1989 560SL; 2014 E350
1,570 Posts
It was around 1969 when I first saw an SL up close. Turned out it belonged to the uncle of a girl I was dating, I got to meet the uncle and was able to see the car close up. It was a "Pagoda" from the mid 1960s if I remember properly. I swore I'd have one some day.

It was approximately 20 years later that my father found 2 190SL's that were parked in a barn...one was a 1960, and the other was a 1963. Both were red, and we bought both and brought them home, Dad took one and I took the other. The plan was to restore them, but it never happened. They were both drivers, but neither had been driven very much. He got rid of his after a couple of years, and after ten years, I sold mine. I never had mine restored, and on more than one occasion, I wish I had.

My latest encounter with an SL involved my accidentally coming across the 560 I have today. It had 26.000 miles when I purchased it 10 years ago, and it looked nearly brand new.

All of this occurred while lusting after a Pagoda without even a ride around the block (so to speak), a 190 that was going to be my favorite MB but it never happened. Now I have what might be called my favorite roadster. Not necessarily my favorite MB, but definitely my favorite roadster. This car has been serviced yearly since manufacture. The first owner did everything that needed to be done and the receipts from the dealer prove all the car's servicing during that time.

After acquiring this 560, I continued with regular servicing each year and whenever else was needed. The surprising part of all this is that the car has never had servicing from any owner; neither the first owner nor myself! In recent years, I've had to replace valve cover gaskets, replace power steering hose(s?), replace front and rear calipers, pads and rotors, replacing all the fuses with copper when available, and my to-do list this spring is sub-frame & engine mounts & shift bushings R&L.
You see, I've been told by my two BIL's that I am not very mechanical. Actually, I have never felt the urge to do anything mechanical...especially around cars! I can sometimes tell there is a problem, but I have no desire to get my hands dirty. I spend too much time cooking, and the wife handles the smaller things that need repairs.

I used to think that if a car that has only 34,000 miles it may not require too much maintenance, but it a 32 year old car has parts that are 32 years old. Lessen learned!

Are these cars expensive? Yes.
Is it sometimes a PIA taking care of this car? Yes, but it is worth the effort because I really enjoy the car!

·
Registered
300 CE 24V Sportline
1,226 Posts
Now I'm going to be unpopular.

In the late 80s I had a 500SL (W107). 10k miles on the clock. MB warranty. Black with dark red leather. Gearbox problem - replaced under warranty plus about £500 from me.

Used it in the UK but mainly in Germany. Top speed around 140 mph, tested many times. I did one journey from village to Bonn town centre at an average of 100 mph, exactly - that was good.

Overall impression? Pretty boring, wish I'd bought a 911 for a bit more fun.

Yes, it did everything it said it would but with no real excitement.

Apart from on an Autobahn when it started snowing. I slowed to about 110 mph. But many others didn't. That was exciting enough for me.

Swapped it for a 500SEL (SWF26 registration, if I recall correctly) that was equally exciting (or not) but much more practical. It had velour interior that really absorbed the cigar smoke. But 3 ash trays.

Eventually, got shot of the SEL that I then used to see parked outside the Wimbledon Conservative Association. Not many people know that.

Then I get a 300CE-24 Sportline that's proven more fun and much more practical than a 107. Still got it after 24 years!

Oh well, enough from me, I'd better run before I'm flamed out of existence.

RayH

·
Premium Member
1983 380 SL
3,985 Posts

In the late 80s I had a 500SL (W107). 10k miles on the clock. MB warranty. Black with dark red leather. Gearbox problem - replaced under warranty plus about £500 from me.

Used it in the UK but mainly in Germany. Top speed around 140 mph, tested many times. I did one journey from village to Bonn town centre at an average of 100 mph, exactly - that was good.

Apart from on an Autobahn when it started snowing. I slowed to about 110 mph. But many others didn't. That was exciting enough for me.

Swapped it for a 500SEL (SWF26 registration, if I recall correctly) that was equally exciting (or not) but much more practical. It had velour interior that really absorbed the cigar smoke. But 3 ash trays.

Eventually, got shot of the SEL that I then used to see parked outside the Wimbledon Conservative Association. Not many people know that.

Then I get a 300CE-24 Sportline that's proven more fun and much more practical than a 107. Still got it after 24 years!

RayH
I was for many years a kitchen/bath and general renovation carpenter, and in all those years I learned one valuable lesson... there's no accounting for taste. :) o_Oo_O:unsure:

·
30,869 Posts
Very true.

And the world would be worse off if we all had the same taste in everything.

R
There would probably be a shortage of hot blonde chicks.

·
Premium Member
1986 560SL with M120 V12 Engine, 1988 560SL Stock
11,762 Posts

RayH
I already have a Ford Taurus as my other car.

·
Registered
1973 450SL
126 Posts
IIRC you switched to a Megasquirt. I think once you replace a Djet component for something like that unfortunately you are going to be on your own. I have some Djet familiarity and I am working hard to gain more but I don't know anything about Megasquirt so I can't help you. 😢

Andy
Actually, all the original D-Jet parts are still pretty much in place. I can remove the Megasquirt components in an hour, and it will be D-Jet again.
I'll be doing that this weekend, as I've found a shop fairly near by that claims to be fluent in D-Jet. Will be taking the car there on Monday...

We would really prefer it be original, IF feasible.

Reactions: Jyuma

·
Registered
1974 450SL, previously 1986 420SEL
204 Posts
Actually, all the original D-Jet parts are still pretty much in place. I can remove the Megasquirt components in an hour, and it will be D-Jet again.
I'll be doing that this weekend, as I've found a shop fairly near by that claims to be fluent in D-Jet. Will be taking the car there on Monday...

We would really prefer it be original, IF feasible.
We shouldn't make this a D-Jet thread. That said, I'm going from memory, but I want to say that the only thing I was worried about was the ECU itself and the manifold pressure sensor (MPS). I'm not sure how often the ECUs go bad (mine is certainly old). I guess the MPS can stop working properly or it can get tampered with. I used a vacuum pump and resistance/inductance meter to take mine through a test procedure and it seemed OK. I'm not sure what you do otherwise.

Cushjbc rebuilt my wiring harness and sourced all of the connectors.

Here are two good mps threads:
The Manifold Pressure Sensor

New D-jet MPS (Manifold Pressure Sensor) Diaphrams...

and cushjbc's D-Jet harness thread:
D-Jet Engine Harness

·
30,869 Posts
We shouldn't make this a D-Jet thread.
Whoa.

It's past post #50.
10 posts is the allowable number before shit is allowed to go sideways.
We're all good.

Pretend you're at a party with a delicious Dirty Martini in your hand.
Conversation goes where conversation goes.

Hang on....got to sip my Martini.

:)

·
Registered
1974 450SL (always needs something!) new djet engine 1991; 1961 Besasie X-3 (being restored)
1,225 Posts
Whoa.

It's past post #50.
10 posts is the allowable number before shit is allowed to go sideways.
We're all good.

Pretend you're at a party with a delicious Dirty Martini in your hand.
Conversation goes where conversation goes.

Hang on....got to sip my Martini.

:)
Dry?

·
30,869 Posts
Shit
Actually, no idea, never tried one
I am now drinking a Stella Martini. :)
Directly from the can.
Yes....there are red necks in Canada.

·
30,869 Posts
Question is....what's your favorite Vodka for said Martinis?

(Gonna be like an oil thread...just watch)

41 - 60 of 98 Posts