Mercedes-Benz Forum banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Any info would be greatly appreciated . Our R350 has an issue with the transmission. On a long trip 5 month ago. suddenly the transmission would not respond to R/N/D select when trying to move from a parked position, it did move some on level road slowly (felt as if the trans was slipping or?) rpm was at 2000 and moving slow. I let the car roll to level ground and let sit while deciding what to do. after about 15 minutes, I started the car and gear select was functioning ok. Thought it was time to book a MB service when we returned to home town. After a longer trip the following day on basically level hwy ,speed around a constant 90 kh for two hours. parked the car on level ground. half hour later went to leave and same thing. Had car towed to a fix it shop that felt with different European cars. they said it could be a plugged trans fluid filter or just low on fluid. so they dropped the pan said they noticed dark fluid and Avery dirty probably plugged filter. They said they cleaned the trans with a flush? and installed a new filter. checked the unit at first for signs of leaking and claimed no leaking points found. I asked about the 16 pin connector if it was inspected for leaking and if so was the seals replaced? I did not get a straight answer. The car ran fine for about a week and then same situation. this time I checked under the car for leaks and found no sign of leak. parked it and checked under the next day and found the power steering fluid was leaking just a little. opens the hood and could see there was evidence of power steering fluid leak and blowing down and back to were ,well can't be seen unless under covers are removed. drivers side directly under power steering pump. The power steering pump was replaced at MB dealer 12 months prior. After this I mad the trip to the place that did the fluid filter change. they checked and said the fluid was a little low and topped up? The car ran fine for about three weeks the again. I went into MB form and learned how to reset trans by depressing gas peddle and turning ignition to on and hold for 4 minutes then release peddle and turn key off then on five times. I tried this the next time it happened and what do you know. it worked. car went along fine city driven under 50 kh. if we drive out on a hwy at 80 to 110 kh for half hour or so. then park. same happens. this last week we were riving far and around 100kh with some stop lights. an hour out at a light came to a stop the when trying to go the car was dead slow to move .we pulled over. Pressed peddle to floor then key to on. waited 5 minutes then peddle up and key off and out then key in and on off five times. car was fine for another 20 miles then same ,had to reset then again fine for another 20 or thirty miles then same. Heres the thing. when in my home town ,short drives in city speeds. after paring car with front facing down hill slightly.this rarely happens. but even in the city a ten minute drive ,if I park with the front of car elevated ,the same thing happens and a reset gets us going. very rarely parking with front down a bit this ever happens however it has occurred depending on terrain I have been driving in just prior. OK < this sounds like a flooded connection point at the 16 pin connector. after resting the car and reset its fine for a while. should the repair shop replace the o ring(s) on the 16 pin connector when they serviced the trans the first time. I got a feeling there is a simple problem. the trans is running fine between resets and short trips under 50 kh. Please any one hear of this problem before? any suggestions. Thank you .

·
Purple Moderator
21,710 Posts
There will have to be trans codes stored or present. Those codes will have to be read and documented.
Without codes I am just taking a guess, but it is more than likely a sensor on the conductor plate.
Please post the trouble codes if you are able to obtain them.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts