Mercedes-Benz Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Is it possible to convert the second row to bench seationg in the r 350 after purchase? Any cost ideas? I am eyeing the r-350, 2007-2009 CDI models but really need a bench in the second row. Ideas???

·
Registered
GL450, R500 traded, ML350 sold
437 Posts
It would have to be o total retrofit since bench seating was never available for the R. Also you would have to match the seating upholstery with your other seats. May I ask why you require a bench in the back? Just wondering.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I have a growing family (5) and would really like the ability to seat 7 like u could in say, an odessy. Seating 5 with meaningful trunk space would also help on long trips. I have seen a few 08 models with the bench in the second row and I suppose they were ordered that way from assembly.

·
Registered
9 Posts
I have an R350 with 7 passenger seating. I am pretty sure that you can retro -fit but I think that it would be cost prohibitive. Just wait until you can find one that came with the 3 passenger second row.

·
Registered
06 ML350, 08 C300, 07 BMW 335i Convertiable, 96 31 Blackfin Combi with twin Cummins 6BTA 370 diesels
21 Posts
I ordered "7 seating" on the 2011 R350 Bluetec.
Better to have the option for 3 in the middle row instead
of 2 bucket seats.

·
Registered
437 Posts
I have a growing family (5) and would really like the ability to seat 7 like u could in say, an odessy. Seating 5 with meaningful trunk space would also help on long trips. I have seen a few 08 models with the bench in the second row and I suppose they were ordered that way from assembly.
I think you saw cars equipped with the 7th seat option. That's not a "bench" type middle row seat you saw. It is a smaller middle seat installed between the other two captain type seats. The backs of all three middle row seats go down independently, not as one piece. There was never a bench type seat in the R-class. Of course the end result is the same (if not better). The middle seat can be installed but it will be very expensive (a couple of thousand $), and you will be left with two holes on the outer seats where the existing armrests are (armrests have to be removed). You are much better off looking for an R-class with that feature installed since new. The same goes for ALL other features you must have. Installing anything on a Benz after purchase costs WAY more than when ordered new.

I don't have the middle seat on mine and I am glad because my kids can move around and go to the third row if they need. Of course we are a family of 4 so my requirements are different than yours.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Thanks for all this input. Clearly the best option is to wait for the factory installed 7 seating. I find most of my friends almost repulsed by the mercedes R concept but a really really like it! Am I out of my mind? Are there any MAJOR regrets on the ones u own?

·
Registered
437 Posts
Your friends comment on something they haven't experienced to understand it. After you buy one when you take them for a ride they will realize how wrong they were. Especially on long trips. I ve driven 12 hours non stop except to refuel for ten minutes and when I arrived I was as tired as driving for 4 hours. Same with my wife and two kids in the back.
One major regret: NOT BUYING IT SOONER

1 - 8 of 8 Posts