Mercedes-Benz Forum banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
73 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have a weird gas in my car. A/C was converted to a Freeze-12 freon. This gas is made by:

http://www.technicalchemical.com/products-0.htm

With time it leaked out and now I have a great difficulty finding a place to service it!

So I decided to convert it again, but I do not want R-12 in it. So question is what's better?

Should I go crazy and drive 100 miles to a "nearby" shop having Freeze-12 in stock or should I convert it to R-134 like everyone around?

·
Mercedes
9,049 Posts
Eventhough you said you don't want r-12.. I hear that the best is just that. R-134 apparently doesn't cool as well as R-12.

·
Registered
420 SEL
223 Posts
I converted mine to 134 last summer, it works fine, no problem in Southern Indiana heat but it does take a little longer than 12 to cool down. Hope this helps.
[:D]

·
Registered
1991 300 SE
18,534 Posts
Although more efficient at cooling R 12 is becoming more difficult – and expensive – to acquire.

·
Registered
Depends on the day!
13,337 Posts
R134a will also perpetually leak from the system. Our cars do not have vapour barriers on the AC lines, something R134 requires to stay put.

Freeze 12 shouldn't be That hard to track down.. I can get it fairly easily, let me know if I can help out.

Jonathan

·
Registered
1985 380SE
86 Posts
I've been using Freeze-12 for past 3 years...

in my '86 BMW 535i - no problems.
You should be able to find it at a full service parts store or by doing a computer search - $6-8 per can last summer around here.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts