Mercedes-Benz Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
1990 300SL, 2004 E320
82 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Installation of Late(1999) Mirrors to a 1990 SL (R-129 body)

I have acquired a pair of complete 1999 SL500 Exterior mirrors and would like to retrofit to a 1990 300SL. I have memory seats and so did the car the mirrors came from, as this is necessary for the wiring to somehow mate for positioning control. These new mirrors also have the exterior LED lights on the mirror covers as on the 2003 MBZ's. Wiring the LED's is not an issue, only the color coded wiring interface from old to new for the positioning motors.
Has anyone done this type of upgrade?? . . . or does anyone know of some steps to do such a task or where I can find such info.
I have converted early to late mirrors on Porsche 911, and Porsche 928 and am fairly well adept at the mechanical conversion. I want to be sure on the electrical portion.

HELP would be greatly appreciated [8D]

·
Registered
Mercedes SL R129
1,293 Posts
Yes, I have done this upgrade to my car.
My local electrician uncovered the wires in the mirrors and in the car so that he sees the color of the wires. Then you connect the wires together (by tape possibly) according to their color (ex. Black with black, red with red...). You should have the same colors on both. Let me know if this works.

·
Registered
1990 500SL
39 Posts
Silver Arrow,

Are you saying that your 1990 500SL mirror mounts were already pre-wired for the new rear-view mirrors??

If so, I'm really impressed with Mercedes, and what do I have to send you for the exact color code for my Almandine Red (like your old color?). I seem to recall that I can order them through you? (also, how much?)

Thx

·
Registered
Mercedes SL R129
1,293 Posts
almandineSL500 - 3/26/2005 12:32 PM

Silver Arrow,

Are you saying that your 1990 500SL mirror mounts were already pre-wired for the new rear-view mirrors??

If so, I'm really impressed with Mercedes, and what do I have to send you for the exact color code for my Almandine Red (like your old color?). I seem to recall that I can order them through you? (also, how much?)

Thx
It's not the rear view mirror, but the external side mirrors that are discussed here. My 1993 wasn't pre-wired. But the wires are the same however the plugs are different. So I mentioned above how to do it.

The color code is usually found on the VIN no. plate. It's a a 3-digit no. Yours is 512 garnet red (almadine red) (almandinrot). Here's the site I use:

http://www.landiss.com/paintcodes.htm

·
Registered
Mercedes SL R129
1,293 Posts
1 - 6 of 6 Posts