Mercedes-Benz Forum banner

1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
1998 W210 E320 base saloon USA version
113 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello everyone!

I’ve changed the brake pads in the rear once myself with Autozone’s house brand (I think) and my mechanic has also changed them. They were quiet initially in both instances but after about a month I can now be heard braking at least 50m away.

Is there a brand of pads that you can recommend that is quiet? Should I go to full ceramic? My mechanic always either turns or replaces discs, greases moving parts and so on.

I admit confusion. I’ve not had this problem before and my fronts are dead silent. I’ve replaced all soft brake lines plus the master and checked for dragging; there isn’t any.

Which pads should I try?

·
Registered
2,812 Posts
Hello everyone!

I’ve changed the brake pads in the rear once myself with Autozone’s house brand (I think) and my mechanic has also changed them. They were quiet initially in both instances but after about a month I can now be heard braking at least 50m away.

Is there a brand of pads that you can recommend that is quiet? Should I go to full ceramic? My mechanic always either turns or replaces discs, greases moving parts and so on.

I admit confusion. I’ve not had this problem before and my fronts are dead silent. I’ve replaced all soft brake lines plus the master and checked for dragging; there isn’t any.

Which pads should I try?
When you say noisy, do you mean to say squeal or some other noise?

If it's squealing, the squealing is typically the result of not using a brake lining shim, or not placing enough anti-squeal lubricant on the back of the brake pad where the pad touches the caliper.

·
Registered
113 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
They squeal, yes, particularly at low speed.

OK I’ll have another look.

Are there pads you prefer?

Thanks!

·
Registered
2,812 Posts
I use ceramic on all our MBs and minivan. Less brake dust to deal with.
Get a good anti-squeal lubricant - I've always used Permatex 24125

·
Registered
113 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Thank you! Ceramic seems the way to go. I’ll do that. I appreciate it.

·
Registered
2,812 Posts

·
Registered
113 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
OK so the deed is done. A neighbour witnessed a drive-by and told me it’s the driver rear. Pads and rotors in excellent shape, so I removed the pads and used compound on the shims as suggested.

Now it’s a waiting game. They’re silent currently, because of course they are. It will be a couple months before I’m relaxed about it...

Thanks!

·
Registered
1998 E320s sedan and wagon
1,032 Posts
I like Akebono Euro-ceramic but my objective is no/low brake dust which isn’t usually an issue in the rear. Read up because some find they require more pedal pressure than softer OE pads. To me, knocking on 200k miles, I couldn’t expect a new car to brake better.

Are you sure it isn’t the park brake squealing?

Sixto
98 E320 wagon 197K miles

·
Registered
113 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Hm. I observed no dragging and therefore do not think it’s the parking brake. I believe both brakes fully disengage (to ensure the disc brakes disengage I changed all four brake lines, made sure the callipers function normally, and changed the master also.

I’m hoping it’s a matter of not enough brake silencer compound on the pad shims.

So far so good. It went from loud as a trumpet to absolutely quiet. It’s a waiting game now.

·
Registered
113 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
OK well the uncertainty is over.

They SQUEAL AGAIN!

After some thought, I think one option is to set the car on fire.

Another option might be to change the pads.

Just in case I decide to change the pads (rather warm to be burning cars this week), are the Akebono the quietest option? I don’t care about dust or stopping power — I care about only 3 things: noise, noise, and noise.

Thanks!

·
Registered
2000 E430 4Matic 142,000 miles
90 Posts

They SQUEAL AGAIN!

Just in case I decide to change the pads (rather warm to be burning cars this week), are the Akebono the quietest option? I don’t care about dust or stopping power — I care about only 3 things: noise, noise, and noise.

Thanks!
How are the rotors? A quality pad wont sqeal, whether ceramic or OE semi metallic. I would replace pads and rotors and be done with it.

·
Registered
2,812 Posts

They SQUEAL AGAIN!

Thanks!
Sorry to hear about the squealing again.
I know how you feel. Today just when I thought I licked my PS rear squealing (on the coil-overs) this late morning, it rears it's head (ever-so-slightly) again this afternoon on a quiet drive. Dang it!!

Re-reading this thread....
In your post #5, I presumed you were swapping pads. Yes? No?
Then in post #7, you only removed the existing pads and re-installed them??
What type of pads are these?

If you havent swapped, go Akebono, as suggested by tabijan.

·
Registered
113 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Thanks for that.

The rotors are turned and this is the second set of new pads I’ve tried in two months.

You think I should replace both the rotors and the pads now?

The original pads were worn but quiet. They were from a Merc dealer.

Which pads do you use?

Thanks!

·
Registered
2,812 Posts
Thanks for that.

The rotors are turned and this is the second set of new pads I’ve tried in two months.

Which pads do you use?

Thanks!
I use Akebono on both the w210 and w163 - I hate getting BD on the monoblocks.

For my sons w202, we're still on bosch quietcast ONLY because the pads are still good (even though we've swapped his wheels to monoblocks) - He cleans them, not me. :)

EDIT:
I think you need only to swap the the pads.
If the rotors are not groved and square, your fine.

·
Registered
90 Posts
Thanks for that.

Which pads do you use?

Thanks!
If your rotors are good and youve tried high quaity pads (Pagid, Brembo, Raybesto), then Im stumped.

·
Registered
2,812 Posts
How are the rotors? A quality pad wont sqeal, whether ceramic or OE semi metallic. I would replace pads and rotors and be done with it.
No necessarily true.
Im an example of that with the Akebono's when I first replaced the rear pads. Used the appropriate goop (CRC anti-squeal initially) on the shims. Squealed like pig after a few miles and thought it was related to the w163 rear brake squeal issues many members posted. re-applied the CRC again and it still squealed. Switched over on the permatex goop and that solved my issue here.

·
Registered
90 Posts
No necessarily true.
Im an example of that with the Akebono's when I first replaced the rear pads. Used the appropriate goop (CRC anti-squeal initially) on the shims. Squealed like pig after a few miles and thought it was related to the w163 rear brake squeal issues many members posted. re-applied the CRC again and it still squealed. Switched over on the permatex goop and that solved my issue here.
Glad you solved it. Must be some interesting vibration/harmonics being created.

·
Registered
2,812 Posts
Glad you solved it. Must be some interesting vibration/harmonics being created.
Not all pastes are created equal imo. CRC has a good name, just didnt work for the w163, and then coupled with the bazillion posts on the w163 squeaky brake syndrome and all the multitude of opinions and personal solutions posted, whos to say what the squaek issue(s) are/were.
Then you get into your head, was it me?, did I do it correctly?

·
Registered
1982 380SEC, 2014 ML350 4Matic
98 Posts
I used Zimmerman rotors and Akebono pads. I believe the pads came with anti squeal, but maybe I am thinking sensors. Used whatever paste they had at FCP or Pelican. Brakes are perfect, absolutely no noise or dust.

·
Registered
113 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
The permatex goop got negative reviews on Amazon by people saying it ruined their rubber parts and dried up too, so they got noise again.

I’ve not tried Raybestos. Wagner squealed first. I don’t know what pads I’m on now frankly.

Anyone OK with Raybestos and CRC? Or Bosch and CRC? I can’t find Brembo for single pin setups.

1 - 20 of 21 Posts