Mercedes-Benz Forum banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
125 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Following up on my vibration problem, I just had a quick question hopefully someone will be able to answer for me. Let's say the front end of the car is up on jackstands, you're on one side of the car, directly facing the face of one of the front wheels, and you grab the left and right side of the wheel:

Should you be able to move each side in and out a couple of inches with your hands, or should it be solid/unmoveable? I think this might be causing my vibration problem.

·
Registered
83 300TD/97 E320/98 SL500
105 Posts
Couple inches!? NO!

That is definitely not normal. I forget the allowable travel off the top of my head, but I want to say something like 0.010"-0.020", more or less. Not 2".

·
Registered
125 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Re:

I know that if you grab the top and bottom of the wheel and push and pull the whole thing at once, it shouldn't move more than 0.005 inches. Neither of my front wheels moves at all in that manner, and if you grab left and right sides and push/pull the whole wheel, it doesn't move.

But what I'm saying is if you grab the left and right side of either front wheel, and lets say, push left side in & pull right side out, or vice versa, it moves a couple of inches. (Just wanted to make sure we're talking about the same thing)

So in this aspect it shouldn't move that much? Both front wheels do, and both move differently as well.

·
Registered
125 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Checked again, it was about 1 inch

I checked it again, but it is pretty much around 1", not 2".

1 - 4 of 4 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.