Mercedes-Benz Forum banner

1 - 20 of 24 Posts

·
Registered
1998 S210 E280 T
41 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi guys,

Just curious if you can tell me where to buy quick touch up paint repair with pencil for my W210. Just found out that the color code is #189.

Thanks, Al

·
Registered
2001 E430 4matic
419 Posts
I buy from the dealer is about $10 and they give you the exact color using your VIN. Its very high quality, just don't over do it since still will show a little here and there which is perfectly understandable. Shake it well before usage.

·
Registered
'04 G55 '80 280GE '99 S420 '98 E320 2011 E350 2016 GLA250
3,093 Posts
I use the Factory Paint "Pen" from Dealer, and apply with these:

Touch Up Paint Micro Brush lot of 50 Super Fine | eBay

If you apply, and let Flash-Off, you can Add Coats until the paint is to the Original Level.
A bit of Reducer to finish will "smooth" the repair, making it "ALMOST" Invisible.

If you have a Metalic Color, you can actually MIX the Clear and the Base together, and apply.

·
Premium Member
2001 E320 - Brilliant Silver/Ash: 107,000+
17,193 Posts
G-AMG all I have is the touch up kit (vial of color and vial of clear coat). I have never used it but I didn't realize it is a pen. Do we have the same thing or is yours different? I like the idea of the micro brushes since the primary complaint I've heard about the factory kit is the applicator makes it blob on.

·
Registered
'04 G55 '80 280GE '99 S420 '98 E320 2011 E350 2016 GLA250
3,093 Posts
G-AMG all I have is the touch up kit (vial of color and vial of clear coat). I have never used it but I didn't realize it is a pen. Do we have the same thing or is yours different? I like the idea of the micro brushes since the primary complaint I've heard about the factory kit is the applicator makes it blob on.
Sorry, I think MB uses the term "Touch-Up Pencil" but it is actually "Nail Polish" type Vials, with the same brushes as a nail polish bottle. Thus, the brush is waaaaaay too large for spot paint chip repair.

So, since you have 9744 color paint, you could mix a few drops of each of the Base and the Clear together, and then use the Micro Brushes to carefully build up the Chip Defects.

Or, if you want to be anal, you can do one or two coats of Base, and then Build up with the Clear vial.

If needed, you can use a Reducer (aka "Thinner") to thin the mix, and use more numerous coats to more carefully build the defect.

·
Registered
E320/E250 Bluetec Ford F350 6.7l
36,705 Posts
I just bought the "nail polish" paint from the dealer for $25.
The paint shows slight difference put on 14 years old paint. Desert Silver should not fade, should it?

·
Premium Member
17,193 Posts
I just bought the "nail polish" paint from the dealer for $25. The paint shows slight difference put on 14 years old paint. Desert Silver should not fade, should it?
I think any color will fade some given enough time and sun exposure. My Brilliant Silver looks great to me now but once I apply fresh paint I expect to see some difference in hue.

·
Premium Member
17,193 Posts
Sorry, I think MB uses the term "Touch-Up Pencil" but it is actually "Nail Polish" type Vials, with the same brushes as a nail polish bottle. Thus, the brush is waaaaaay too large for spot paint chip repair.

So, since you have 9744 color paint, you could mix a few drops of each of the Base and the Clear together, and then use the Micro Brushes to carefully build up the Chip Defects.

Or, if you want to be anal, you can do one or two coats of Base, and then Build up with the Clear vial.

If needed, you can use a Reducer (aka "Thinner") to thin the mix, and use more numerous coats to more carefully build the defect.
Thanks for clarifying G-AMG, that's the same kit I have. I'm wondering if an arts and craft store might have Micro Brushes too, I think I'll take a look in the couple we have here.

1 - 20 of 24 Posts