Mercedes-Benz Forum banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
281 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello, I was curious to if there is a way to add a aftermarket head unit to the E-Class of 2000-2002 while still being able to use the steering wheel controls.

If it is possible how difficult would it be to retain those functions?

Anyone here change or swap out the factory radio before?

Any thoughts or comments on this subject please feel free to post. :D

·
Registered
64 Posts
Ok but how does that work, it says only for certain model head units?
Both the Pac-Audio and Axxess Interface require the aftermarket source unit to have the ability to add OEM steering wheel remote control interfacing. The Pac-Audio interfaces are designed to work with specific manufactures, which I stated next to the Pac-Audio part numbers. The Axxess Interface can be programmed with to work with several aftermarket manufacturers, unlike the Pac-Audio SWI-??? that is manufacturer specific.

·
Registered
281 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Both the Pac-Audio and Axxess Interface require the aftermarket source unit to have the ability to add OEM steering wheel remote control interfacing. The Pac-Audio interfaces are designed to work with specific manufactures, which I stated next to the Pac-Audio part numbers. The Axxess Interface can be programmed with to work with several aftermarket manufacturers, unlike the Pac-Audio SWI-??? that is manufacturer specific.
Ok but does it work with the w210 steering wheel controls? I know some adapters don't.

·
Registered
2002 E320 4Matic
89 Posts
See my reply to your other thread with this same question.
Basically, Bose was standard on the 8-cylinder models, not on the others.

·
Registered
281 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
See my reply to your other thread with this same question.
Basically, Bose was standard on the 8-cylinder models, not on the others.
Yea I saw that, this thread is about the steering wheel controls though. Thanks for the replies on both threads.

I'm still not sure about hooking up the aftermarket HU to the Bose system on a W210 with steering wheel controls. I'm learning more though more I read. ;-)

·
Registered
2001 E55 AMG
22 Posts
I have a question for Cheif Wiggum. I am thinking about swapping the HU and using the Axxess ASWC (Universal Controller).
1st, Is the ASWC a stand alone unit or do you need to use the CANBUS adapter like most of the others? From what I can tell, it is stand alone. Just want to confirm. Also, does the ASWC auto detect the W210 or did you have to program it? Do the phone hang up/lift buttons work as well? Finally, I am curious what the instrument panel display shows after you swap the HU. Does it still cycle through Phone, Audio, etc? Is there anything displayed when the Audio is selected? I've read where someone said that going through the display info screens will also affect the radio ie: when on the fuel economy pages if you hit ^ or v, it changes the track/stations. Is this true for you?

·
Registered
64 Posts
I have a question for Cheif Wiggum. I am thinking about swapping the HU and using the Axxess ASWC (Universal Controller).
1st, Is the ASWC a stand alone unit or do you need to use the CANBUS adapter like most of the others? From what I can tell, it is stand alone. Just want to confirm. Also, does the ASWC auto detect the W210 or did you have to program it? Do the phone hang up/lift buttons work as well? Finally, I am curious what the instrument panel display shows after you swap the HU. Does it still cycle through Phone, Audio, etc? Is there anything displayed when the Audio is selected? I've read where someone said that going through the display info screens will also affect the radio ie: when on the fuel economy pages if you hit ^ or v, it changes the track/stations. Is this true for you?
The ASWC was just to interface the factory steering wheel remote control to my aftermarket headunit. It did auto detect the ASWC, but I ended up reprogramming the button assignment to interface better with the head unit. Unfortunately, yes scrolling through the menus on the onboard display also changes the radio settings. If need to scroll through the menus, then I just turn off the radio until I'm done.

·
Registered
2001 E55 AMG
22 Posts
Unfortunately, yes scrolling through the menus on the onboard display also changes the radio settings. If need to scroll through the menus, then I just turn off the radio until I'm done.
That stinks. I am always switching my display between gas mileage settings, etc.

Does anyone know if the PAC combo has this same issue? I also see the PAC units come with a harness connector to attach to the OEM wiring, but it looks like the ASWC just has bare wires. I was hoping to avoid cutting any of the factory wiring. Might spend the extra $40 or so on the PAC combo just for that reason alone.

I'm still curious what goes on with the MFD when an aftermarket HU is in place. Still show Audio and Phone or does it just skip over them?

·
Registered
2001 E320 Sedan
5 Posts
I have a 2001 e320. I'm considering installing the Axxess ASWC controller with a new Jensen (ASWC compatible). Does the wiring match up with their website? Any installation issues? Did it auto detect during set up?
Thanks
Stephen
2001 E320

1 - 16 of 16 Posts