Mercedes-Benz Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
281 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello, I was curious to if there is a way to add a aftermarket head unit to the E-Class of 2000-2002 while still being able to use the steering wheel controls.

If it is possible how difficult would it be to retain those functions?

Anyone here change or swap out the factory radio before?

Any thoughts or comments on this subject please feel free to post.

·
Registered
2000 E430 (base), 77 450SL, 89 420SEL, 97 E420
295 Posts
Don't know what a "head unit," is other than what we called a gang of the dope smokers in HS. I recently found out my radio was swapped out prior to my purchase. My E430 has the steering wheel controls, but the model that was swapped in was not capable of illuminating the LED readout, it was from a 1999. Found this out from BeckerSound in Saddle Brook, NJ., that a number of Becker radios (more than I thought) are made specific to a model and YEAR. Strange things can happen when you mess with Mother Radio.

·
Registered
281 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
That has been done. Check the Audio & Telematics forum found in the technical section.
Don't know what a "head unit," is other than what we called a gang of the dope smokers in HS. I recently found out my radio was swapped out prior to my purchase. My E430 has the steering wheel controls, but the model that was swapped in was not capable of illuminating the LED readout, it was from a 1999. Found this out from BeckerSound in Saddle Brook, NJ., that a number of Becker radios (more than I thought) are made specific to a model and YEAR. Strange things can happen when you mess with Mother Radio.
Oh ok, yea I know Beckersound in Saddle Brook.

I know that when you purchase a head unit it asks if you want to purchase a steering wheel kit adapter but the ones I seen say they are incompatible with the W210 E class.

Wanted to know what the confusion was. :surrender:

·
Registered
2002 E320 Wagon, 06 Porsche Boxster S, 08 MINI Cooper S
272 Posts
As far as I understand the 00-02/03 wagon models use a fiber optic bus to communicate with the rest of the car. 3rd party steering wheel adapters are not compatible with this. Thus the reason that your run of the mill Pioneer, Alpine, Sony, etc... cannot work with our steering wheel controls or CD changer.

·
Registered
'01 E430 Sport, '08 E350 Sport
82 Posts
I actually replaced the head unit on my '01 E430, Kenwood makes great head units available with steering wheel interface. some of them easier than others. The wiring from the wheel to the radio is not fiber optic, but you need a good diagram to trace the wires and know which ones to splice for connection to the new radio.

I was too lazy to do the extra steps and now I kind of wish I did. Lost the diagram but I am sure you can find it with a little diligence. Good luck!

1 - 7 of 7 Posts