Mercedes-Benz Forum banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
28 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So I've joined the 'back death' club as of this morning. I started chipping away at all the build up and was quite encouraged with my progress but one of the chips accidentally flew down one of the air intakes at the front. It was only small, about half the size of a penny max, but will it damage this cylinder if I try to start it up?

Uploaded with ImageShack.us

I probably could have found the info somewhere on the forum but am hoping for a quick answer.

Andy

·
Registered
28 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
It was suggested on one of the other threads that a little bit shouldn't do any damage so I gave it a go and can clearly see I'm getting blow back from the third injector. It sounds seriously rough without all the covers and such on.

So I'll try a new washer and bolt for that one after a good clean and hopefully it will be cured.

·
Registered
Vito 110 CDI Mapped, 6 Seater, 18's, Zorst, Heavy ICE, Xenons
374 Posts
If you can, do all 3 to save any trouble at a later date.
It's up to you though. Some people are happy just doing the 1.
Get the engine nice and warm first though.
As for the carbon piece. Won't be any trouble, it'll eventually make its way out the exhaust in a gas form. If it does bother you, hoover and hose pipe it!

That said, it seems like you already know what you are doing. :)

·
Registered
28 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
I hear what your saying about doing them all at once. The perfectionist in me wants to do the full job now and get everything clean and working but the practicalist doesn't want to risk snapping a bolt removing an injector that was working fine and still ending up with an engine that I can't use.

I guess it will depend on how easy the first one is to do, the local MB dealer didn't have the parts so I've ordered a whole set from ebay so I will have the bits to do all four if I decide to.

·
Registered
2001 110 CDI (sold) 2006 111 CDI Comfort (current)
695 Posts
Get all four done, it costs so much less in the long run. Get them tested too, the guys who did mine took the test fee as part of the recon costs.

I really don't like getting anything in the air hoses, I stuck loads of rags in mine to stop anything going in. Just imagine the speed at which your turbo spins, and then chuck a solid bit of carbon into it. Keep a hoover handy!

·
Registered
28 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Update

So I've spent about 4 half days on this now and made some good progress.

I've cleaned up a lot of the mess around the injectors, it's far from spotless but so much better than before. It's taken almost 2 whole cans of carb-cleaner and about half a can of WD40 to get to where I am now. The clamping bolt came out with no trouble which was a relief but the injector itself took longer. I couldn't run the engine to warm up because I'd snapped a couple of the leak off t-pieces and although I ran the engine with some bits of tube shoved into the top of the injectors the leak off filled up what containers I had too quickly to leave it running for any length of time.

Nevertheless with time and what didn't really amount to much force I was able to gradually twist and pull up the injector without any damage.

Here's a picture down the offending injector hole.

Hopefully tomorrow afternoon I'll get some more time to clean the injector hole and the bolt hole out. I managed to keep anything from dropping into the cylinder but a lot of crap went down the bolt hole while cleaning removing the injector, I hope I won't have to buy a tap to clean it out.

I've managed to order some replacement leak off fittings for less than a fiver delivered, local MB dealer wanted £74.50 for the updated one-piece replacement.

So the next question is, having got most of the crap off the engine, how the hell do you get it off your hands?

·
Registered
296 Posts
BRAKE CLEANER - On you hands! :)

For the injector bolt hole, I really would advise you to get a Tap like this one

Spiral Point Tap M6 HSS Pitch 1mm : Tooled-Up.com

Its called a Spiral tap, and has a drill like tip and spirals up like a drill bit! But its a tap, so it cleans the threads and brings all the stuff to the top! many engineering places will have them! You will have to weld a long extension on ( I used an allen key )

If you get any shit underneath the bolt then it will dead end to quickly and not tighten down to much, or just push itself up and wreck the threads!

Also take yourself to Mercedes and get a seat cleaning tool ( Ask the parts man ) its a kit that comes with a selection of reusable look wire brushes on the end of a pole! < a Must have!

While your there you will need new bolts and washer! £3 i think!

Mark

·
Registered
28 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
I got the cleaned up injector back in without trouble and there don't seem to be any leaks so just waiting for the leak off fittings to arrive in the post so I can give it a proper test.

I didn't need anything special to clean the bolt hole out, just used a 4mm drill bit turned between my fingers to bring out the worst bits then sprayed carb cleaner with a straw down to the bottom which sprayed all the crap back out the hole. I checked that I could get all the way to the bottom then left the old bolt in there whilst I cleaned up the injector hole.

Again didn't use anything special just a bit of rag wrapped around a screwdriver to clean it out then some wet + dry glued to the end of some 15mm dowel to give the seat a bit of a polish, it didn't look too bad so just 600 then 1200. Did the same with the opposing face on the injector which was a bit pitted but didn't want to take too much off doing it by hand, could really have done with having the nozzle removed and putting the face against a grinder but not something that I have the tools for.

Here's a picture of the old washer, you can see why it was leaking so bad.

·
Registered
28 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
More problems

So all has not gone as well as I was hoping it would.

I got the new leak off fittings in the post today so excitedly went about fitting them as I feel like I've spent enough time on this project with the van not moving anywhere. Once the leak off system was connected I started the engine and did a quick check that nothing was leaking, all looked good so set to work putting all the covers and inlet pipes back on.

Once back together I started it up again and although it sounded a lot better it wouldn't rev over 3000rpm, I thought it might simply have been an electrical connector which hadn't gone back on right but on checking found diesel had filled up around the injectors.

I can't find whats leaking, it's not so fast as to be obvious, was on for about 20mins and filled up to the top of the injector bolts. The leak off pipes seem OK and I'm not sure it would explain the limp mode if it was one of them leaking.

Theres no where local to me which tests injectors so I just cleaned up the blowing one and reseated it although without the rubber o-ring which came apart.

Any other ideas apart from replacing the injector as it's not cheap?
All help is appreciated.

·
Registered
Vito 108cdi
305 Posts
The same thing happened to me when I did my injectors, turned out to be the connection from the hard fuel pipes to the injector bodies.

I ended up using ptfe (plumbers) sealing tape on the threads to stop them leaking! I doubt this would cause the engine to go into safe mode though.

·
Registered
28 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
It might not be one problem causing all the symptoms, if I get another break in the rain I will go and double check all the connections and see if that cures the leak.

·
Registered
28 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
So I went round and remade all the fuel connections and have run it for another 20mins without any of the intakes or covers on and so far no leaks so I suspect it was the high pressure line which needed tightening.

It is still in limp mode though.

What are the two sensors circled in the pics below? These are the only ones I think I've disturbed in sorting the injector so have to be the most likely culprits but I don't know what they do or how I might test them?

Temp sensor? plugs in to the top of the intake manifold

not in place but plugs into the back of the intake pipe at the top of the engine.

·
Registered
28 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Not limp mode but a strange squeak

So if anyone is still reading you can disregard the last few posts. The van isn't in limp mode I just hadn't realised the rev limiter kicks in if your not moving.

So I took the van for a test drive and it revs up and pulls fine but there is a strange squeak when accelerating, it kind of sounds like a high pitched chirp. It's not linked to a particular engine speed but if you accelerate with more than about 3/4 throttle it starts squeaking as soon as the rpm starts to increase then stops once you stop accelerating. It also doesn't happen when not in gear.

Any ideas?

Hopefully it's OK to drive and I'll just take it easy.

·
Registered
03 vito 110 cdi van
53 Posts
Hi the first pics is the map sensor it should have a multi plug going in to it and a small rubber pipe going ton the inlet manufold this will put it in limp mode and will not rev above 3000 rpm its the pressure sensor for the turbo.

·
Registered
28 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
Thanks for the replies.

I suspect the problem was an air pipe which wasn't seated properly as it seems to be cured now. I've been driving the van around and no more strange noises.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts