Mercedes-Benz Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I am considering purchasing a 1992 500SL. The original owner has explained to me that the following are the only issues with the car:

1. Failed AirCare based upon exhaust emissions. Too many hydrocardons - max is .5 and the car registered .5761.
2. Passenger window goes down if you push the button and push it, but will not raise - probably the motor.
3. Transmission - very slow going backwards, like 1 or 2 km/h.
4. Battery is dead.
5. If the car doesn't run for a couple of days it will die after driving 5 km or so. Let it sit 40 minutes and then it will run fine. It will run fine if driven daily. Not sure what could cause this one.
6. 200,000 kms.

The catch is that I offered $3000...

Any input on whether this is worth it would be great!

Thank you

·
Premium Member
2015 Jaguar XF R Sport Twin Turbo, 1992 500sl Pano, 1999 CBR 1100XX, Super BlackBird, Jaguar X Type
4,818 Posts
I have a 92 which is in great condition, but think I would be giving this one a miss. Problems on these cars can be very labour intensive and costly. At nearly 20yrs old most things have deteriorated with age and would have needed replacing probably 4-5yrs ago. If the car doesnt come with a good service history you can expect to be paying out big bucks to get it up to scratch. My car had over $20k spent on it by the previous owner in his last 4 years of ownership mainly on fuel & electrical related problems that are difficult to diagnose and usually end up having unnecessary expensive parts thrown at them because of lack of expertise by the indy.

The engine, transmission etc seem bullet proof it is the electronics that need a bit of TLC. Don't be put of this model it is a dream to own and I wouldn't have anything else. A fast sexy attention getter.

Just look around for a more expensive well maintained vehicle with history.

·
Registered
2001 SL500 / 2004 Dodge Ram 3500 HO CTD / 2010 Subaru Outback
313 Posts
Run don't walk. If the current owner is admitting to a list of problems 1-6 then there's a good chance there's a list from 7-12 as well. This car sounds like a money pit - wait for one in better condition even if it costs you a little more up front as it'll be cheaper in the long run.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Thanks everyone for your input, I'm going to walk on this one. I was leaning towards walking, but at the same time wondered whether the price would make it worth it. All I needed was a little push in the right direction!

Thanks again...

1 - 5 of 5 Posts