Mercedes-Benz Forum banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
99 ML430
195 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Replacing factory halogens with Bi-X's today and I know I have to up my fuse amperage to 20amps but after lookin at the fuse box and seein all sorts of headlamp fuses which ones do I actually pull to replace with 20amp's?... do I replace both 7.5amp fuses that are beside one another?... any help would be appreciated...cheers guys... have a great long weekend [:D]

·
Registered
99 ML430
195 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
No worries guys... got it figured out... Bi-X's RULE... can't believe the difference and the bulbs are not even worked in yet... thanks for twistin my arm Drew.. haha

·
Registered
99 ML430
195 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
replace both 7.5 amp fuses with 20 amp fuses. I forgot what location they were in but second row to the right hand side (drivers side) U should see two 7.5amp fuses... those are the ones I replaced... and all is good thus far...

·
Registered
2020 MB GLE 450 4MATIC, 2015 BMW M4
2,117 Posts
I didn't replace my fuses ('98) and they've worked fine for almost 2 years.

·
'00 ML320 Elegance
8,965 Posts
Greg...

GregW / Oregon - 3/25/2005 8:11 AM

Wow you're lucky then...either that or it's because you have a '98. I do know that we've had many reports of blown fuses for '99 MLs; even Hella says that a fuse bump is required, LOL.

·
Registered
497 Posts
RE: Greg...

Drew - 3/25/2005 5:05 PM

GregW / Oregon - 3/25/2005 8:11 AM
Wow you're lucky then...either that or it's because you have a '98. I do know that we've had many reports of blown fuses for '99 MLs; even Hella says that a fuse bump is required, LOL.
My ML came with the bi-xenons from the factory with 7.5amp fuses; as bi-xenons use less power (35W) than halogen why would you increase the fuse size?

Particularly as GregW found his worked OK for almost 2 years.

·
'00 ML320 Elegance
8,965 Posts
Marcel the reason is that you have a 2000+ ML. The pre-00 ones are not configured exactly the same.

·
Registered
497 Posts
OK and thanks, although I am surprised.

I have recently replaced my driving lamp bulbs (H7) and saw that the wiring is quite thin which persuaded me not to try the 80W H7's I was initially tempted to buy.

Perhaps someone should check the 20A fuse advice as I don't think the wiring, at least inside the headlamp unit, is up to blowing 20A fuses with any certainty and you maybe removing a level of protection by upping the fuses from 7.5A to 20A.

·
'00 ML320 Elegance
8,965 Posts
marcelc - 3/25/2005 12:46 PM

Perhaps someone should check the 20A fuse advice as I don't think the wiring, at least inside the headlamp unit, is up to blowing 20A fuses with any certainty and you maybe removing a level of protection by upping the fuses from 7.5A to 20A.
It's not the wiring that is the issue. It's that the entire Xenon headlamp unit initially requires more power on startup due to the high voltages involved in the ballast/ignitors. This initial spike can cause the lower amperage fuse to blow on the older MLs, due to the different electronics configuration (e.g. only one fuse box, etc).

I have recently replaced my driving lamp bulbs (H7) and saw that the wiring is quite thin which persuaded me not to try the 80W H7's I was initially tempted to buy.
Actually I was a bit weary as well, and only ran one 80 watt H7 bulb in my high beams to test out this configuration; I use my high beams quite a lot due to the unlit stretches of roads that I travel on daily in the evening, when returning home from work. After 1 month of testing, I was convinced that there were no issues and I've been running 80 watt high beam halogens for almost a year now!

·
Registered
497 Posts
Drew - 3/26/2005 6:33 AM

Actually I was a bit weary as well, and only ran one 80 watt H7 bulb in my high beams to test out this configuration; I use my high beams quite a lot due to the unlit stretches of roads that I travel on daily in the evening, when returning home from work. After 1 month of testing, I was convinced that there were no issues and I've been running 80 watt high beam halogens for almost a year now!
Thanks, that is nice to know, I may give in to temptation when I next replace them.

·
'00 ML320 Elegance
8,965 Posts
marcelc - 3/26/2005 8:59 AM

Thanks, that is nice to know, I may give in to temptation when I next replace them.
I wouldn't necessarily run them in the low beams as they would be constantly on, but for high beams I have personally had no issues. I'll also say that combined with the Bi-Xenon high beam pattern and the foglamps, I really do get an unbelievable amount of light projected forwards and upwards.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts