Mercedes-Benz Forum banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
3,783 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey guys, so I'm changing the oil and the filter came with the crush washers and a copper ring.... Does that copper ring go at the base of the filter around the thing it connects to, or where? Thanks

·
Registered
1991 300SE W126 Collector owned, maintained 90k mi
177 Posts
oil change

Hey guys, so I'm changing the oil and the filter came with the crush washers and a copper ring.... Does that copper ring go at the base of the filter around the thing it connects to, or where? Thanks
The copper washer would go with the drain plug. The filter spins on. Coat the filter rubber seal with a finger of oil and tighten, No more than 1/2 turn.

·
Registered
3,783 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
It's much larger than the drain plug washer. It looks like it would fit on the cylinder the filter goes on... There wasn't one in my last kit though and it's been fine

·
Registered
3,783 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Ah well I got 'er done, no leaks, filled it perfectly on the first try, and she's purrin'. The only place that ring could have gone would have been the cylinder the filter goes on,(not the long bolt, I changed that crush washer too,) and it should be easy enough to put on if I hear from one of you that's where it should go.

·
CH4S Admin , Outstanding Contributor
1985 500SEC, 1991 190E 2.6.
40,660 Posts
Filters can fit other makes or models as well. I went through a similar confusion once. In my case, the extra washer was for another make / application.

·
Registered
3,783 Posts
Discussion Starter #6 (Edited)
I figured that was probably the case. It would seem kind of silly to have it way down at the bottom of the filter housing where you'd have to get it very carefully with a pair of needlenose pliers. Thanks. One thing I do find odd though, is that the handle is on the bottom of Mann filters. I used another brand the last 2 times and it was on top, but the first time I changed it when I got it, it already had a Mann with the handle on the bottom.... and obviously you can't put the filter in backwards...

·
CH4S Admin , Outstanding Contributor
1985 500SEC, 1991 190E 2.6.
40,660 Posts
I figured that was probably the case. It would seem kind of silly to have it way down at the bottom of the filter housing where you'd have to get it very carefully with a pair of needlenose pliers. Thanks. One thing I do find odd though, is that the handle is on the bottom of Mann filters. I used another brand last time and it was on top, but the first time I changed it when I got it, it already had a Mann with the handle on the bottom.... and obviously you can't put the filter in backwards...
The 'Welcome.....' announcement on top has the link to a free Mercedes W126 service manual.
The pics show the whole process in detail.
Cheers

·
Outstanding Contributor
1989 560SEC, 1989 560SEL, 1995 E420
4,467 Posts
That large copper seal is for the drain plug on a W116. The two cars use the same filter but the drain plug on the W116 is huge.

The first time I changed the oil on my 450SE it came shooting out of that large oil pan drain hole and quickly overwhelmed my five quart drain pan. The oil was too hot for me to refit the drain plug. What a mess!

·
Registered
3,783 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Ahh, good to know. That is massive for a drain plug seal. Luckily I knew when I bought the car that it took 8 quarts so I bought a pan accordingly before the first time changing. I can only imagine the mess. I forgot to open the vent on my pan this time and it made a little bit of a mess from the "chugging" of oil, I guess you'd call it. Luckily I have cats so plenty of litter on hand... and my house is a rental. ;)

·
Premium Member
2012 CL550 4MATIC Coupe
9,992 Posts
That large copper seal is for the drain plug on a W116. The two cars use the same filter but the drain plug on the W116 is huge.
This is incorrect.

The 'Large' copper crush ring that is about 1 1/4" in diameter goes at the base of the filter inside the filter housing. You should see one in there.

There should be two more. A smaller copper one that goes on the drain plug, and a steel one that goes on the long bolt under the washer flange.

Assuming this is a Bosch OEM filter kit.

·
Outstanding Contributor
1989 560SEC, 1989 560SEL, 1995 E420
4,467 Posts
This is incorrect.

The 'Large' copper crush ring that is about 1 1/4" in diameter goes at the base of the filter inside the filter housing. You should see one in there.

There should be two more. A smaller copper one that goes on the drain plug, and a steel one that goes on the long bolt under the washer flange.

Assuming this is a Bosch OEM filter kit.
This is scary, mclare! After all the oil changes I've done on this car, I've never noticed a place for the large crush ring that you mention.

I will definitely check things out much closer next oil change.

By the way, it is not incorrect that the large crush washer is for the drain plug on a W116. The W116 and W126 use the same filter kit and on the W116 that washer is for the drain plug.

·
Registered
3,783 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
For reference, this is the filter I have, and obviously the one I'm talking about is the largest of the 3 washers.... It does fit up to the bottom of the oil filter and looks like it'd fit on the cylinder inside the oil filter housing that holds the filter... but one hasn't been with my past 2 filter kits, nor was there one in the housing the first time I changed the oil, and the filter I took out that first time was a Mann.

MANN-FILTER H 929 X Oil Filter | eBay

·
Premium Member
2012 CL550 4MATIC Coupe
9,992 Posts
By the way, it is not incorrect that the large crush washer is for the drain plug on a W116. The W116 and W126 use the same filter kit and on the W116 that washer is for the drain plug.
I was only speaking to its application as it pertains to the W126, not any other chassis.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts