Mercedes-Benz Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
1996 C280 Sport
321 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So today I changed my water pump as the bearing went out for the pulley.

I Added a whole jug of the coolant and more water to top it off. Started the car and waited for the thermostat to drop to add more distilled water.

I still have the problem of right when i start the car the temp gauge is a bit below 100C and after I drive around for a few minutes it goes back down to 90C - 87C

I know if there is to much coolant it will boil. I was told to add 50-50

Does this mean 50% of the whole Gallon of coolant and %50 of the whole gallon of distilled water ???

I know the I6 take 10.5 quarts of coolant/water I've only added 1 gallon of coolant = 4 quarts
and 2 quarts of water

Please tell me If I'm doing something wrong here :eek::eek::eek::crybaby2::confused::confused:

·
Registered
2000 C230 Kompressor
141 Posts
Whatever mix you're running won't cause the problems you're seeing, most likely there's some air in the system. I'm not familiar with your engine, but try doing a search if anyone has had problems with bleeding the coolant.

·
Registered
2000 C230 Kompressor Special Edition
1,173 Posts
Mix should be 50/50. Equal parts coolant and distilled water.

Air bubbles should eventually work themselves into the reservoir bottle. Run with the cap off a while. Replace with a new oem cap if you never have yet. Fill reservoir bottle to just under the black part.

·
Registered
1997 E320, 1997 S320
2,946 Posts
temp seems fine. temp will be 85-90C in highway and below 100C in traffic or not moving. as long as it doesn't go above 100C then you are fine.
you are 2 quarts of water short, right now you are probably around 65/35. you need to be no more than 50/50 especially in cali, so add 2 more quarts of water. leave the cap out overnight but don't forget to put it back on the next day or drive without it.

·
Registered
1996 C280 Sport
321 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Ok thx for all your input here. I can guarentee the 65/35 mixture.. I've been running the cAr and it seems to be fine now. I have almost used the whole gallon of waterbup so I'm going to do what you suggested and I should be good to go.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts