Mercedes-Benz Forum banner

1 - 2 of 2 Posts

·
Registered
1978 300d
395 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
well, i just plugged in my '78 300d for the first time. usually on these cold mornings, the car takes two tries to get started up after holding for 5-10 seconds til it catches. is there any procedure i should know of for plugging it in? i plan on letting it sit over night, is it simple as that?

thanks!

·
Registered
'84 300DT, '97 S320
682 Posts
Yes sir (or ma'am), it could be as simple as that.

Do you mean you plugged in the block heater and after a few minutes you tried starting it? It must heat up for 1 to several hours. Overnight is perfect. To give you an idea of how warm the engine gets, after it's warmed overnight, in the morning put your hand on top of the valve cover - it should simply be warm. Your engine will love it. You may be able to see a slight rise in the temp needle, depending on what the surrounding air temp is.

Have you had the car only since around Aug? First time ever starting a diesel in cold weather? I think your year has a glow-plug system that heats up at a slower rate than later years, but still quicker than say, my '73 220D did. But even when the light goes off in my '84, the plugs continue to heat for 10+ sec's until you hear the relay click off. I'm going to read up on your year in a sec.

For some more in-depth cold starting problems and possible resolutions, see the thread entitled: What is a "Normal" Cold Start?

1 - 2 of 2 Posts