Mercedes-Benz Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
98 C-230, 07 C-280 4matic
82 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I want to self grease my drive train, but couldn't find the grease tips. Word is they should be greased every 1000 miles. Is there a special tip to grease the u-joints etc for the G? Also, is there a good placed to find ALL the places to squirt some grease?

I checked the forum search and couldn't find anything that popped up.

Thanks

·
Registered
2000 G500 NMLE
6,977 Posts
weberdocs - 5/14/2005 7:11 AM

I want to self grease my drive train, but couldn't find the grease tips. Word is they should be greased every 1000 miles. Is there a special tip to grease the u-joints etc for the G? Also, is there a good placed to find ALL the places to squirt some grease?

I checked the forum search and couldn't find anything that popped up.

Thanks
On the older G's there are both the standard grease zirk and the flat on which requires a special cone shaped tip. (NAPA should have these available.) There are only greasing points on the drive shafts. There are none in the suspension.

Find a flat and dry spot to park. Put the truck in neutral and release than hand brake. Crawl under and observe all sides of the shafts as you roll the truck forward and backward. (I push on the tires with my foot.)

There will be at least one fitting on each u-joint (6 total), but the u-joints on the shaft between the transmission and the transfer case often have two. There is also a fitting on each slip joint (3 total).

Pump grease i the u-joints until you see fresh grease squeezing out of the sleeves. Pump 3-4 strokes only (important) into each slip joint.

You're finished! (This job was a lot easier when I was skinnier. [:0])

·
Registered
1997 G320, 2001 CL55
111 Posts
Thanks Dutch...That really helps! I saw the tips, but wasn't sure when to stop pumping grease...

My truck runs a LOT smoother with the new front driveshaft, but I still get some vibration at the T-case handle when starting off from a dead stop or pulling upa hill. I asked the shop that replaced the front shaft if we could sent the rear over to Atlanta and have in balanced to eliminate some of the shake. I got the routine answer of "no, shaft just needs to be replaced"...Startin to wonder about these guys, since they also told me the shafts could not be greased and were sealed at the factory...hard to believe they work on the exotics in town...

Anyway, do you think balancing the rear shafts is needed or would help? Would greasing the shafts have any impact on the smoothness of the ride?

THANKS,
Robert

·
Registered
2000 G500 NMLE
6,977 Posts
Edited - RE: Quick and Dirty Greasing Tips (literal and figurative)

rtgogo - 5/14/2005 8:04 AM

they also told me the shafts could not be greased and were sealed at the factory...hard to believe they work on the exotics in town...

Anyway, do you think balancing the rear shafts is needed or would help? Would greasing the shafts have any impact on the smoothness of the ride?

THANKS,
Robert
They may not know what those small flat fittings are for. Edit: On our trucks there are no fittings on the center shaft. They're sealed CV joints.

As to the greasing, it may not help; but it certainly can't hurt.

·
Registered
2000 G500 NMLE
6,977 Posts
What's the rubber flex?

·
Registered
98 C-230, 07 C-280 4matic
82 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Thank you for the reply and for the step by step instructions. I will head to NAPA and pick up the fitting for my grease gun today and give it a go. Knowing what to do and where to do it makes me alot more confident in the job.

I'll let you know how it goes later today or tomorrow.

Take care and many thanks,

Doc

·
Registered
2000 G500 NMLE
6,977 Posts
Grease Gun Tip Photo

weberdocs - 5/14/2005 9:44 AM

Thank you for the reply and for the step by step instructions. I will head to NAPA and pick up the fitting for my grease gun today and give it a go. Knowing what to do and where to do it makes me alot more confident in the job.

I'll let you know how it goes later today or tomorrow.

Take care and many thanks,

Doc
I should have pulled this one up before. It's a photo of the tip I use on my grease gun. It snaps right on to a normal grease gun tip. That way you have both available for those drive shafts with normal zirks and the flat inverted cone fitting.

http://benzworld.org/forums/forums/thread-view.asp?tid=1168581&mid=1197545&fid=30#M1197545

Those flat fittings have a tiny ball in the center that prevents grease from backing out of the fitting. You need to press the tip of the gun fitting shown in this picture far enough into the cone to displace the small ball. If you don't, grease will just come back at you when you pump.

·
Registered
TJs, FJ40s, JGCs, G500
2,343 Posts
Yasu,

the amount of grease sprayed into your body and frame indicates that you put too much grease into the slip joint. That creates a lot of pressure on the transfer case bearings and will eventually damage it.

Yes, greasing the U-joints will reduce vibration temporarely. A worn U-joint has play (more distance between needle bearings and bearing cup). The grease will fill the voids and make the shaft rotate smoother for a while until the grease is pushed out again. The final solution is always new bearings or a new shaft. This proves that proper maintenance will save you a lot of money.

Harald

·
Registered
74 Posts
I still get some vibration at the T-case handle when starting off from a dead stop or pulling upa hill.
I get a fair amount of vibration through my T case shifter as well. Also the shifter shaft gets hot enough for me to feel through the leather surround. Should i be worried??

1 - 11 of 11 Posts