Mercedes-Benz Forum banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
1976 416.141
350 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
My 416 has a garden variety OM352......
Page 41 of my MB instruction manual says "When checking oil level on the OM352 engine it should be taken into consideration that the oil cooler and various oil passages can drain when the engine has not been run for a longer period of time. In order to exactly determine the oil level in the oil pan it is necessary that the oil level be checked immediately after stopping the engine which is at operating temperature or after briefly running the engine".

Seems pretty simple-run the engine, get it warm, shut it down and check the oil right away.

Now, go to your SEE tractor lube chart, card 6 of 33, Note 1, item A "Engine oil must be checked before starting engine or with engine stopped, and allowed to drain into crankcase for several minutes

Seems like MB wants us to take into account oil in the oil cooler and passages but the US Military and Industrial Complex does not, I've done it both ways there's about a 1/2qt difference

How do you guys do it?

Rmontez

·
Registered
85' U1300L Holset Turbo VA A/C, 66' Propane 404.1 rock mog, 1975 416 Doka, G500, Volvo C303
4,970 Posts
I always check cold or after a couple minutes of cool down for the most part. This applies to everything I operate from motorcycles on up to airplanes. So long as it’s within range then call it good. If it’s on the low end, add a quart as needed and get it back to middle or better on the dip stick.

·
Registered
'78 Mog 416.141 DoKa
3,398 Posts
I either check it cold and if it shows a slight overfill, not worry about it, or check it when fueling, after getting the pump turned on and running. I figure the couple of minutes it takes to get the fuel flowing at the station is a good balance point between "when cold" and "immediately".

Since I don't usually travel the Mog enough to require a fuel stop, the vast majority of fuel stops are at local stations prior to wheeling or working. So, the vast majority are 'cold' checks that don't require pulling the doghouse in a rush.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts