Mercedes-Benz Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
06 R500 Saks Fifth Special Edition
76 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I am thinking about having to use the 5-10mm spacers for the front wheels (18x8.5") carlsson 2/5s. Rear fits just fine.

Anythoughts on good and bad about spacers:

1. who makes the best spacers?

2. Negatives effects on handling, safety, performance etc.

3. How does the spacer work? Does it bolt onto the wheel? etc...

4. Is it safe to use spacers?

Any opinion is appreciated...

Thanks

·
Registered
14 E350
2,046 Posts
Not advised...........

I've used spacers before and they were not worth the trouble. There's too much that can go wrong if not installed properly. Including damage to your suspension. I would highly advise against it. [:)]

Spacers are used when the offset of your rim is too small. All they do is create more space (an extension) between where the rim meets the axle.

·
Registered
E430T + 300SL (W107)
346 Posts
But what is exactly the problem with spacers if it makes the total offset correct?

I wa...

But what is exactly the problem with spacers if it makes the total offset correct?

I want to mount 15" steel wheels om my w107 SL (so that I can mount 70's style hub-caps which I like).

Problem is that the correct size steel wheels 7x15 ET25 (made for W126 sedan) does not fit becasue they are too deep and the front brakes touch the inside of the rim.

I now thought about getting 7 x 15 ET37 steel wheels and use 10mm or 15 mm spacers. This could work because the ET37 wheels are "flatter" and has less depth. Total offset would be almost the same as original wheels (27 mm or 22mm vs origianl 25mm). If this solution make the wheel not touch the brakes, what problem could I run in to?

·
Registered
14 E350
2,046 Posts
Because..............

When you re-position your wheels to a wider track it can cause vibration and stress fractures that can
form over time due to the torque and will cause problems with your alignment, bearings, turning, and numerous other front-end dynamics. Just too many variables to make it worth the risk IMHO. I am speaking from experience with spacers I installed on my "Limited Editon Isuzu" Impulse to save some money with cheap rims. The suspension was designed by "Lotus". A year and a half later my suspension was shot do to the spacers. Needless to say I learned my lesson the hard way.

·
Registered
E430T + 300SL (W107)
346 Posts
I understand that when you change the track it can cause problems, but when you use spacer...

I understand that when you change the track it can cause problems, but when you use spacers to compensate because a too large wheel-offset, what could then the problem be? Track is the same as original.

The only thing I can think of is the load on the wheel/spacer itself that will be different. Any part belonging to the car should not notice if there is a low offset wheel, or a higher offset wheel together with a spacer.

·
Registered
06 R500 Saks Fifth Special Edition
76 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Thanks for all the info. I was not planing on changng the track... Actually keeping the same OFFSET

1 - 6 of 6 Posts