Mercedes-Benz Forum banner

1 - 2 of 2 Posts

·
Registered
c230 kompressor
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I stumbled upon this forum while resarching cell phone options for my '02 C230 Kompressor, and have a few questions... First off, I love my car. Even though it's been in the shop nine times in the last 11 months for things I never expected to have to deal with on a Mercedes (New supercharger, new alternator, sunroof cowl, new spark plugs, etc) if it weren't for the wonderful service advisor at my dealership, I probably would be begging somebody to take it off my hands. My wife and I have (in good humor) nicknamed it "Christine". Anyways, on to the issue(s) at hand:

I hate the standard audio system. It's absolutely terrible. So - Is it possible to either A: redo the back end of the system (speakers / amp)? If so, what do you reccommend? I've heard that the speakers are a custom fit, and no off the shelf driver will mate properly within the opening provided in the door / frame. If aquiring a Bose system aftermarket / used of my car is possible, what are you suggestions on where to find it and / or how to go about finding an expert to install? Should I do it myself? (I'm quite capable, I just would be concerned about warranty issues and codes)

Secondly: I want add a cell phone to the car. Currently, I'm a Sprint PCS customer (CDMA). So - do I have to buy the phone from mercedes? What model Cell phone did they sell w/ my car, and if I buy it elsewhere, can I order the necessary parts from the dealer to complete the project?

Thanks in advance for your assistance

Steve

·
Registered
2002 C230k
1,246 Posts
Adding Bose is not exactly a do it yourself project. Many people have improved the soun...

Adding Bose is not exactly a do it yourself project. Many people have improved the sound of their systems by switching the heardunit a Becker Audio 10 cd player unit which is sold as a factory installed option in Europe. The can be purchased from www.ebay.de or a new one can be purchased from www.autoclass.net

If you decide to go aftermarket things should be done in this order. First, get a good headunit. Second, get an amplifier. Third, get a subwoofer, if you want a lot of bass. Last, replace the factory speakers. Some aftermarket speaker fit in the stock openings and some don't.

If you use a no-MB headunit, you will not be able to use the steering wheel buttons. Alpine does sell and adaptor, but I hear it is difficult to install. If you have a factory cd-changer, it will have to be replaced.

1 - 2 of 2 Posts