Mercedes-Benz Forum banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello all I am new to the forums, couple of question i wanted to ask. :confused:

-first I was wondering what do you guys mean by pad numbers?
-second which company in springs will give you the lowest drop?
-third which combination will give you the lowest drop?
-forth what is the best rim size? (rim size, offset, width, staggered formation)

I have a 2001 CLK 430

·
Registered
863 Posts
dude, u gotta search!! all this stuff is SERIOUSLY covered here.

pad #s are the part #'s for spring pads...little rubber things between your spring and it's housing. 1 is thinnest, 5 is thickest. last 2 #'s in part #. (ie, 01 02 03...)

drop height doesn't change much between companies as far as i know. definitely get # 1 pads or no pads (or get the 1's and sand them down thinner). i liked the h&r's. make sure you get sport shocks and lowering springs, not just springs.

19x8.5 front, 19x9.5 or 10 rear. 20's are sick, but are more iffy on works. you want about a 35 offset front and a 32 offset rear more or less. you can move that up or down a few mm i believe.

·
Registered
446 Posts
where can i get the pads at?
MB dealers...

Front
5mm ----- pad #1 210 321 01 84
9mm ----- pad #2 210 321 02 84
13mm ---- pad #3 210 321 03 84
17mm ---- pad #4 210 321 04 84
23mm ---- pad #5 210 321 05 84
Rear
5mm ----- pad #1 210 325 01 84
9mm ----- pad #2 210 325 02 84
13mm ---- pad #3 210 325 03 84
17mm ---- pad #4 210 325 04 84

I'm thinking about the H&R cup kit from tirerack for only $400. If I don't like the stance with the kit installed, would using the shocks with oem springs be advisable?

·
Registered
1,450 Posts
Message for ''Da_guitarist''

I will be doing a DIY on my pads soon, as I have standard #5 on front and #4 on rear. I was going to buy # 1 pads allround and see how she sits on stock springs, as I only have 18" not 19". But what I was gonna ask you is do you have experience of removing the pads altogether and what this is like, I have also thought about sanding the old pads thinner too.

·
Registered
446 Posts
I am also curious about just changing pads rather then pads and springs
i will be getting 19 inch rims sooon
After some thought, I will replace front blown shocks and replace pads with #1s all around. I plan on keeping stock 16" wheels.

Anyone know of a good set of inexpensive front shocks?

·
Registered
1,480 Posts
you don't want to go cheap on shocks. I'm serious. Get Koni or Bilsteins all the way around. Konis are adjustable while Bilstein has standard, sport and race versions. I'm still running on OEMs but have read enough to know.

·
Registered
791 Posts
you don't want to go cheap on shocks. I'm serious. Get Koni or Bilsteins all the way around. Konis are adjustable while Bilstein has standard, sport and race versions. I'm still running on OEMs but have read enough to know.
Absolutely right.

I've just ordered the KONI sports shocks to go with my Eibach springs.
They should be arriving tomorrow and I'll be putting them on next weekend.

:thumbsup:

·
Registered
791 Posts
I am also curious about just changing pads rather then pads and springs
i will be getting 19 inch rims sooon
Hi mate.

I have 19's on my car. (a picture is on my profile).

If you go for 19's, I'd advise stiffening your suspension - especially if you're looking to lower the car.

I was paranoid as hell about rubbing problems, so I put Eibach lowering springs on. As mentioned above, I'll also be putting KONI sports shocks on next weekend. It is ok to use your existing shocks while changing the springs but your existing shocks won't really work as well with the springs as upgraded Bilstein or Koni's.

You can just change the spring pads if you're looking to lower it abit - but I don't think it'll give you enough of a drop.

I'd say go with lowering springs and new shocks. If you still want to lower it more, you can then look at using smaller spring pads to get that last little drop.

:thumbsup:

1 - 12 of 12 Posts