Mercedes-Benz Forum banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
204 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello,

It appears that there is a lot of misinformation floating around about our brands of products. Being a site sponsor, I want to create an open space for you to ask questions that you might have. Whether it is about fitment, quality, shipping, warranty, cost or you just want a recommendation on who should install your kit. I will do my best to answer any and all questions.

·
Registered
2000 S430, 2003 S430, 2000 S500, 2003 S600 TT, and 2005 E320 CDI
4,859 Posts
Hi Paul,

Indeed, I do have some. I'm looking to either repair or replace the front bumper on the following car, a silver Mercedes-Benz S430, of year 2003, with the AMG Sport package.

http://www.benzworld.org/forums/w220-s-class/2772593-review-depo-aftermarket-xenon-headlight-assemblies.html

There are two cracks in the lower-central "bar" of the bumper, that you can see on the car in this thread. I'm currently at work, which blocks certain pix hosting sites, so I can't see my own pics till I get home; that's why I posted the thread instead.

One of the cracks has duct tape on it. The other has some kind of silly putty stuff on it, painted over with cheap silver paint. There is also a crack, fixed by J-B Weld, on the upper part of the bumper between the car's left-side headlight and the grille. I'm debating whether to have the (cracked) factory bumper repaired and repainted, or just replace it with a good aftermarket version.

Basically, it should look just like this example, a New York car, when it's done.

I also want it to last. It appears that these factory AMG bumpers have a tendency to crack in that lower-central "bar". I know nothing will withstand repeated hits against a tall concrete curb, so I'm not unreasonable. In practice, which would last longer against real-world driving experiences, including parking lot situations--the factory polypropylene, or your fiberglass?

And finally, in the specific case of Mercedes-Benz W220 bodies, does the support bar need to be removed in order to use one of your bumpers? Driving around without a bumper support is, obviously, not an option, for safety reasons.

Thanks!

1 - 3 of 3 Posts