Mercedes-Benz Forum banner

1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
42 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Been reading through a number of threads to learn a lot more about the W124's. Now very interested in purchasing a black '94-95 E420.

If anyone knows this dealers reputation I'd be interested in feedback on them and also some advice on what price I should pay for one of these cars if all maintenance is up to date.

I know to ask about the A/C evaporator, harnesses, ETA, subframe bushings, tranny and head gaskets. Any other major items I overlooked?

Thanks for the help.

Skip

Southern Star Automotive | Inventory

·
Registered
'95 E300 DIESEL, '91 600SEL, '92 600SEL
16,920 Posts
Car has significant bumper damage front & rear, plus huge dent in trunk lid.

Missing button on fan control module. Tool kit missing from spare tire well.

Unless they're willing to fix, no more than $4000.

What's even more important is maintenance records, especially on the big stuff like wiring harness, evap core, vacuum pods.

Mileagewise car is at a point where it could be needing a huge amount of work, unless you have maintenance records to show what's already been done to it. At this mileage, the car is usually due for a suspension, steering & driveline overhaul, not discounting the potential for a transmission overhaul.

Also parts prices for the V8 W124s is always a lot more than the 6 cylinders. Head gasket issue is rare on the M119 V8 compared to the M103/104 6 cylinders, but timing chain stretch is more of an issue on the V8.

Not trying to be negative, the car looks great but stay realistic. After all, it is the dealer's job to make the car look extremly good until you've signed for it. Then you're flying on your own 2 wings.

·
Registered
'04 G500, '00 E55 AMG, '90 300TE 4Matic, '82 240D
1,951 Posts
I'd say $3500-4000 unless they are willing to fix some of the cosmetic faults and can give some some mechanical guarantee or maintenance history that confirms that typical w124/m119 issues have been taken care of, looks like a beautiful car otherwise! :thumbsup:

·
Registered
1993 300E, 2003 996 Turbo X50
624 Posts
I make it a point not to buy a car from someone who spells Mercedes with a 'z'. Thats just me though.

My vast experience with used car dealers is you'll get something along the lines of "very clean, runs great!" when you ask about the general condition and if it needs anything. When you ask specific questions they usually just get confused.

I highly recommend taking this car for an offsite PPI if you are serious buying it. Other than a few cosmetic issues it appears to be in good shape and if it matches mechanically it would be a very nice car.

·
Registered
42 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Car has significant bumper damage front & rear, plus huge dent in trunk lid.

Missing button on fan control module. Tool kit missing from spare tire well.

Unless they're willing to fix, no more than $4000.

What's even more important is maintenance records, especially on the big stuff like wiring harness, evap core, vacuum pods.

Mileagewise car is at a point where it could be needing a huge amount of work, unless you have maintenance records to show what's already been done to it. At this mileage, the car is usually due for a suspension, steering & driveline overhaul, not discounting the potential for a transmission overhaul.

Also parts prices for the V8 W124s is always a lot more than the 6 cylinders. Head gasket issue is rare on the M119 V8 compared to the M103/104 6 cylinders, but timing chain stretch is more of an issue on the V8.

Not trying to be negative, the car looks great but stay realistic. After all, it is the dealer's job to make the car look extremly good until you've signed for it. Then you're flying on your own 2 wings.
I didn't think you were trying to be negative. Excellent points.

I'd say $3500-4000 unless they are willing to fix some of the cosmetic faults and can give some some mechanical guarantee or maintenance history that confirms that typical w124/m119 issues have been taken care of, looks like a beautiful car otherwise! :thumbsup:
I agree.

I make it a point not to buy a car from someone who spells Mercedes with a 'z'. Thats just me though.

My vast experience with used car dealers is you'll get something along the lines of "very clean, runs great!" when you ask about the general condition and if it needs anything. When you ask specific questions they usually just get confused.

I highly recommend taking this car for an offsite PPI if you are serious buying it. Other than a few cosmetic issues it appears to be in good shape and if it matches mechanically it would be a very nice car.
Well said about dealers.

Yes, I would definitely have a PPI done if it reaches that point.

·
Registered
5,344 Posts
Leather and paint like that are worth a lot. Mechanical things can always be fixed. Paint can be repainted reasonable well, but aftermarket leather, even from GAHH, never looks as good as factory.

·
Registered
money pits of various forms
5,885 Posts
I would be happy to kick tires for you. I dont know much about gassers tho.

·
Registered
42 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Leather and paint like that are worth a lot. Mechanical things can always be fixed. Paint can be repainted reasonable well, but aftermarket leather, even from GAHH, never looks as good as factory.
Good points Dean. I remember you had a beautiful E420 sand color IIRC.

I would be happy to kick tires for you. I dont know much about gassers tho.
Thanks for the offer, that could really help.

I plan to try again today to reach someone at the dealer and see where that goes.

·
Registered
2000 e320 4matic
3,401 Posts
I'd take it to Jono for a PPI if you're serious. Very fun cars. I have a 94 and its a rocket ship. I'm considering trading it in on a w210 e430 4matic so if you're interested in a spectacular white over grey with 86000 miles let me know. If the black car has ASR i would consider moving on. Mine doesnt have that sometimes problematic feature.

·
Registered
'95 E300 DIESEL, '91 600SEL, '92 600SEL
16,920 Posts
That black E420 does not have ASR, which can only help.

Another thing to check for on the M119 is hydraulic lifter noise, usually caused by broken cam oiler tubes and as a side effect potential cam wear. Replace the stock plastic cam oilers with aluminum ones, like the ones on the 92 W140 S500.

The leather interior looks very good, not sure why that was brought up as a issue. The major wear & tear spot seems to be the armrest, a common trait in all W124s.

If it were me, I'd pick a white one over a black one any day of the week. Black ones make the car look smaller and the upkeep is more rigorous. I'd only want a black W124 if it was a hearse, but that's just a matter of opinion.

·
Registered
42 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
I'd take it to Jono for a PPI if you're serious. Very fun cars. I have a 94 and its a rocket ship. I'm considering trading it in on a w210 e430 4matic so if you're interested in a spectacular white over grey with 86000 miles let me know. If the black car has ASR i would consider moving on. Mine doesnt have that sometimes problematic feature.
Alex,

I might be interested. How come you're trading it?

That black E420 does not have ASR, which can only help.

Another thing to check for on the M119 is hydraulic lifter noise, usually caused by broken cam oiler tubes and as a side effect potential cam wear. Replace the stock plastic cam oilers with aluminum ones, like the ones on the 92 W140 S500.

The leather interior looks very good, not sure why that was brought up as a issue. The major wear & tear spot seems to be the armrest, a common trait in all W124s.

If it were me, I'd pick a white one over a black one any day of the week. Black ones make the car look smaller and the upkeep is more rigorous. I'd only want a black W124 if it was a hearse, but that's just a matter of opinion.
Thanks for the cam wear reminder and the non ASR info.

I know what you mean about black. I'm still open on color.
Condition is of course way more important.

·
Registered
2000 e320 4matic
3,401 Posts
Alex,

I might be interested. How come you're trading it?

I'm trading it because i moved to park city and having 2 rear wheel drive W124s is silly. I'm going to sell both the wagon and the E420 and buy a w210 E430 4matic. As to the E420, it's a beautiful car. The history is that its from Texas originally. Has been in Utah for 3 years. I bought it because it was purchased from the original owner by my MB mechanic (Dave at werners mercedes 801-467-8220) and he had the car gone over stem to stern. He has told me it was the cleanest car he has ever owned. He sold it to a customer who in turn sold it to me 3 months later when his fortunes declined. It's my summer driver, currently under cover in my garage. It's completely stock. I'm sure I will probably regret selling it, but the reality is I need an AWD where i live and I have been impressed by my wife's w210.

·
Registered
42 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Dealer said they obviously have a software issue cuz that car has been sold for awhile and it should have come off CL and their website that same day last month. Took 3 phone calls to finally get that info...:surrender:

lol

·
Registered
5,344 Posts
Too bad. I personally think 040 black is great stuff, not just for the look, but for the maintenance as well - no clear coat to peel (when original), no color match problems (it's true black), no stupid metal flakes to lay down inconsistently. Non-metallic white is king for practicality but 040 is second in my book. I had a 1971 111 coupe in orginal 040 black that was in great shape at 30+ years old. Single stage 040 black was in continuous production from post-war to about 2004 when it went ceramic and two stage.

·
Registered
2000 e320 4matic
3,401 Posts
I had an 040 black w126 and the paint was prone to sun fade. And it was impossible to keep clean. I just passed on an acceptable black E430 in my area. Black looks great immediately after a wash but ultimately drives me nuts.

·
Registered
2000 e320 4matic
3,401 Posts
The latter. Memphis. I buy all my used cars from cloudy environs now.

·
Registered
1993 300E, 2003 996 Turbo X50
624 Posts
As much of a pain as the ASR system is if the ETA fails, I wouldn't buy one without it. You'll be thankful you have it the first time you drive it in any serious snow.

·
Registered
5,344 Posts
As much of a pain as the ASR system is if the ETA fails, I wouldn't buy one without it. You'll be thankful you have it the first time you drive it in any serious snow.
This point has been made and contested ad nauseam. In serious snow ASR can shut the car down completely and leave it a quivering blob that won't even move. In many years in New York with non-ASR 124s I found them to be very good winter cars, sometimes with just all season tires. In any case a person should always do the homework before buying an ASR car, so they know what they're getting into. It was one of the most troubled systems ever, for Mercedes or anyone else. The maintenance cost and hassle difference is dramatic.

1 - 20 of 20 Posts