Mercedes-Benz Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Im currently looking at a 1982 280e. My confusion lies in the year and wether or not it's a euro or a north American model. My understanding was that north American models stopped at 1981 and euros continued to '85. I know there were a few exterior differences on the north American model besides the 50hp engine difference. I only want this car if it has the 185hp euro m110 in it.

Now the confusion. It has the 4 seperate glass headlights whereas I thought '82 and on received the euro square headlights only. Could anyone tell me if this is really and '82 and what motor it has just by looking at it? I'll add pictures once I download the mobile version of the site

·
Registered
462 Posts
Im currently looking at a 1982 280e. My confusion lies in the year and wether or not it's a euro or a north American model. My understanding was that north American models stopped at 1981 and euros continued to '85. I know there were a few exterior differences on the north American model besides the 50hp engine difference. I only want this car if it has the 185hp euro m110 in it.

Now the confusion. It has the 4 seperate glass headlights whereas I thought '82 and on received the euro square headlights only. Could anyone tell me if this is really and '82 and what motor it has just by looking at it? I'll add pictures once I download the mobile version of the site
euro 280E's always had the square/rectangular lights. Are the lights in the car the early round style euro's or us lights? The euro ones will have a single piece of glass going over the whole headlight assembly and the us ones will have sealed beams as the main headlight. Sounds like someone swapped the lights out. Does it have euro bumpers and the headlight height adjust switch in the console (part of the switches above temperature knobs). If it has manual climate control it is definitely a euro model. The euro vin will start out WDB123 and a us model vin will not. If you have the vin I can decode it on the euro epc and give you the options it came with and where it was delivered.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I don't have the vin at the moment. I just don't recall north America receiving 1982-1985 models. I thought they stopped at '81. It does have the sealed beam headlight and it's has knobs for climate control with that red and blue wheel above the radio. It also has the full size clock in the cluster rather than the small one

·
Registered
462 Posts
I don't have the vin at the moment. I just don't recall north America receiving 1982-1985 models. I thought they stopped at '81. It does have the sealed beam headlight and it's has knobs for climate control with that red and blue wheel above the radio. It also has the full size clock in the cluster rather than the small one
It is definitely a euro model. I couldn't remember if they stopped selling it here in 81 or 82. Although it probably has the higher compression engine in it, it was possible to order it with the lower compression version. Does it still have no catalyst? I would be concerned about the health of the engine if someone put a catalyst on it.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
I'm not sure. I know it has an inconsistent miss but that could just be spark related. But I'm no Mercedes mechanic

·
Registered
462 Posts
I'm not sure. I know it has an inconsistent miss but that could just be spark related. But I'm no Mercedes mechanic
Sorry I meant does it still have no catalytic converter on the exhaust. They didn't come from the factory with them and if it has one that means someone put one on there.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
It most likely does. He said he recently had a new exhaust system installed. They were required in the US versions and any imports were required to have one installed along with the beam headlights and larger bumpers in order to be road worthy

·
Registered
462 Posts
It most likely does. He said he recently had a new exhaust system installed. They were required in the US versions and any imports were required to have one installed along with the beam headlights and larger bumpers in order to be road worthy
Thats not exactly true. There were alot of exemptions back then when bringing over a car back then. My euro didn't have anything done to it. About 50% to 75% of the euro cars I see still have there euro lights and 99.999% still have their euro bumpers. I have seen cars with epa paperwork that never had a cat. put on. If it had one put on I would take it off. Most of the time if one was even put on the installation was a hack job anyway.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts