Mercedes-Benz Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Question? I just got a 97 e320 for 1200 with no keys. I do have the title jus not yet switched over. Will have to get it registered before going to the dealership?

·
Premium Member
97 E-420 (180K miles), 97 SL500, (93K miles) 2015 GMC Sierra Denali 2500HD CC/SB/4x4 Duramax(55K)
4,228 Posts
some chance you will find that the dealer will say keys are NLA. About 6 months ago no 97 W210 remote fobs were available, there were some regular keys and some valet keys still available, hopefully there are still some available.
I was able to get another spare valet key. You will need to provide proof of ownership and in most cases bring the vehicle in with you. First give a dealership a call and see if keys are still available.
The lack of keys is an ongoing problem with 97 + W210's, R129's and many W140's and ML's.
Hopefully the key situation has changed on W210's, it has not on the R129's. 97+ R129 key and fobs are NLA. A few became available for 98+ vehicles for a few weeks, but then they were gone. MB rationed them out carefully.

·
Outstanding Contributor , SDS Guru
1998 MB E300TD, 1997 MB E36 AMG, 2001 MB E55 AMG
3,653 Posts
It depends on the local dealer. Mine didn't ask for the car present when I ordered a master key, and that went through parts department with no issues at all. But when I requested a key fob (the one with IR remote), I had to go through service department and I had to bring my car in.

YMMV. Ask for a master key to get the car started, then plan your way out.

·
Premium Member
97 E-420 (180K miles), 97 SL500, (93K miles) 2015 GMC Sierra Denali 2500HD CC/SB/4x4 Duramax(55K)
4,228 Posts
It depends on the local dealer. Mine didn't ask for the car present when I ordered a master key, and that went through parts department with no issues at all. But when I requested a key fob (the one with IR remote), I had to go through service department and I had to bring my car in.

YMMV. Ask for a master key to get the car started, then plan your way out.
My parts guy has done keys for my W210 and R129 by copying drivers license, registration showing proof of ownership. Worked for both keys and fobs. Didn't need the car to be present. but again it depends on the dealer AND what vehicle. And I know the parts guy quite well and stop by at christmas with a box of goodies etc. to develop a good relationship. Helps with good prices on parts as well.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts