Mercedes-Benz Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
27 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey everyone,

Since I'm actually an Audi guy I thought I would ask some people that actually have some knowledge about the SLK some questions.

What should I look for when buying a 98 SLK? What were some problems that I should possibly be aware off, and how much time have your SLK's spent in the shop, and with that how much should i expect to spend when it comes to cost of ownership?

There is a phenomenal SLK for sale near my home with 30K, honestly showroom condition. What would a fair price be?

Thanks everyone.

·
Registered
2,398 Posts
Its a little hard to give a price as we dont know what country you live in.

·
Registered
759 Posts
the 98,99 slk had a "better" supercharger which is bigger. they are also easier to mod for more hp apparently. the 98 has a weird stereo, one yr only. the 98 was offered in automatic only, and it has a reutation for being the most reliable yr slk. this is a debated topic though, and i am not sure if any of this is true, just what i have picked up over the years of owning one. you want to make sure it drives nice at all speeds, up to at least 80. you also may want to have it checked at a local benz shop to make sure it hasnt been abused. some say that an older car with low miles will be a lemon since they need to be driven regularly in order to keep them happy. again, all cars are unique. they have few problems and all have been addressed here on the "web". if it were in my town of portland oregon it would be worth between 9-13k$. if in europe it could be worth 2x -3x more. what are they asking for it?

·
Registered
366 Posts
Carfax is not enough:(

Never forget to check the codes with OBD2, any strange noise when shifting gears, check under the seats for shattered glass(indicated a past unreported accident)

How is the condition of the wheels, struts, turn signals, supercharger... noisy?

see the transmission cap and check if it is a red plastic or black, this could indicate if the car ATF has been changed in the past or not.

Recall of the rear brake lights?

Top moves up and down with no problem?

Best luck :)

·
Registered
759 Posts
if you want something to bargain with check the pse module in the trunk before you buy it. chances are its corroded and will need to be fixed soon. it could be repairable though if youre handy and save 600$. or do what we did and just bag it in plastic so it cant get wet anymore. the taillights will be replaced free at the stealership so no worries. no other major recalls on this fine little car! with so few miles, if it runs out ok its totally worth 11k$. i paid 5k$ more for one with twice the miles :)

·
Registered
7,704 Posts
look inside the front wheel wells towards the front there is a small door that access the foglights, check to see the doors are there.
check under the engine to look at the skid plate and ifs its atached.
check the roof liner if its sagging or puckered its a sign of hydrolic leak.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts