Mercedes-Benz Forum banner

1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
2002 SLK 32 AMG
441 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi Folks,
Sorry for being the n00b in the Slk forum, I just picked up my ride yesterday. I was thumbing through the manuals and in one section I see a tray of tools, which I don't have in my car, and other section I see a jack, which I can't seem to find in my car. I have a medical kit, I haven't opened it but would be surprized if there was tools in there.

I also got some triangled plastic thing that I don't know what it is for and I have no idea if i should have some kinda tool that allows me to crank up the roof manually if something goes wrong with the motor.

Could someone fill me in on just what I'm supposed to have so I don't call the dealer up looking for things I'm not supposed to have. Its a 2002, SLK32.

Thanks guys.

Oh, first impressions in two words, Wow, Fast!

·
Registered
01 SLK 320 MT6
4,477 Posts
John Boy 330xi - 2/9/2005 2:26 PM

Hi Folks,
Sorry for being the n00b in the Slk forum, I just picked up my ride yesterday. I was thumbing through the manuals and in one section I see a tray of tools, which I don't have in my car, and other section I see a jack, which I can't seem to find in my car.
Did you check around spare wheel ?

I also got some triangle plastic thing that I don't know what it is for
Time to get back to driving school ? ;) This is an emergency stop warning sign - you suppose to put it to warn other drivers if you have problems and blocking a lane.

·
Registered
SLK 55 AMG
3,560 Posts
You need to lift the floor covering, tools should be inside. Or at least, the tools support where you place 'em.

The little L shaped crank used for manuevering the roof if it's broken, is found in the trunk on the wall on the right hand side, near where the rear lamp is. There's like a small plastic door you can remove to peek inside. It should be attached to the door.

·
Registered
2005 CLK200 Komp, 2007 R350
680 Posts
I thought the 32 came with a can of tyre inflator or something instead of the spare wheel and jack?

·
Registered
SLK32 AMG
121 Posts
I searched around mine and with some help from the forum

I had to lift out the plastic tray and the mat. The tools were then just on the right. Hardly convenient but you do need to know where they are.

·
Registered
01 SLK 320 MT6
4,477 Posts
Mr_Ferrari - 2/9/2005 4:18 PM

I thought the 32 came with a can of tyre inflator or something instead of the spare wheel and jack?
You right - i was wrong. No spare in 32, may be no jack either.

You just need to put the triangle and wait for roadside assistance

·
Registered
2002 SLK 32 AMG
1,219 Posts
My 2 cents worth

I just went through these same questions when I got my 32 last month. If you have a CD changer in the trunk the best way to get at the tools is to remove the storage bin that sits where the spare tire would be on a 230 or 320. You have to pull the carpet up out of some slots in the top of the storage bin then you remove the little clip in the bottom of the bin so you can carefully work the bin out of its hole. Once you get it out you should find the tool kit and the jack/lug wrench fitted into some cheap styrofoam (I still can't believe that) on the right side. If you don't have the CD changer you should be able to pull up the carpet on the right side of the storage bin to access the tools. One thing that is not in the tool kit that you should have somewhere is the tow lug that you screw into the threaded hole behind the lower screen, by the front right fog light, if you need to be towed from the front (or towed up onto a flat bed truck). Since there is no spare, the need for a tow is probably increased. Another thing I found (in the glove box) was the little round plasic tool (I thought it was a rolling switch that fell off somewhere) that is used to remove the radio antenna.

Forward of the storage bin there should be a portable air pump that plugs into the cig lighter and a plastic bottle of TireFit (MB fix-a-flat). The directions on the TireFit say to remove the valve stem before draining the goo into the tire. My tool kit didn't have a valve stem removal tool so I put one in it.

As far as the manual operation of the roof, if you remove the small panel that is on the right trunk sidewall (behind the CD changer if installed), there is an allen wrench clipped to the back of it plus a cable to pull (follow the directions in the manual). There is an identical cable on the left side but I have not been able to get that panel to come loose. I'm going to have the service advisor at MB show me how to pull the panel off without breaking it later this month when I take it in for some work.

Much of this was described above, but since I just went through all of this myself I thought I would put it all together for you.

Can anyone else think of anything else a new owner should have gotten with their SLK (besides a mesh windscreen, but that's been beaten to death(y)[:D] in this forum recently)?

·
Registered
2003 SLK 320
684 Posts
RE: My 2 cents worth

16falcon - 2/9/2005 7:43 PM

Can anyone else think of anything else a new owner should have gotten with their SLK (besides a mesh windscreen, but that's been beaten to death(y)[:D] in this forum recently)?
How bout a good lookin lady - a definite must for those top down days. Otherwise, I think you've listed everything...nice job. The tow hook is a good call.

·
Registered
2005 CLK200 Komp, 2007 R350
680 Posts

16falcon - 2/9/2005 12:43 PM
I got a little bottle of touch up paint with mine(not that i would ever use it)

·
Registered
2000 Designo SLK-05 C230WK-05 E320CDi-2010 GLK 350
714 Posts

16falcon - 2/11/2005 4:43 PM

Another thing I found (in the glove box) was the little round plasic tool (I thought it was a rolling switch that fell off somewhere) that is used to remove the radio antenna.
I have never seen such a tool and I purchased my car new. Can anybody post a picture of this tool and maybe a part number to go with it?

·
Registered
2002 SLK 32 AMG
1,219 Posts

Sorry, I don't know what the part number is for that antenna removal tool. There isn't a number stamped on it.

·
Registered
2002 SLK 32 AMG
441 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Thanks 16Falcon, lots of good info there. So far I'm enjoying the car, I've put on a little over 100 miles. I'm noticing a little wiggle in the steering wheel around 70ish, I'm going to see if its the tires that are out of balance, I hope that's the problem. I also found a little chip of paint missing on the hood so I need to get that taken care of too.

We don't have the cd player, the dealer wanted 800 dollars to put it in and for 800 dollars I think I can get just as much out of XM radio.

I went to the tire rack to buy tires, they're out of just about everything. Grr, The tires that I wanted are the Blizzak LM22, but, they're out of stock for the rest of the season. Mercedes doesn't want you to use them for some reason, when I asked them earlier this year what to get for my wife's C class, they said to get the Dunlops. I did, and I'm really not THAT impressed. She's been stuck twice this year already on slight inclines. I just don't think there's enough meat on them.

Its snowing today so it looks like I'll be checking out the car from the window of my house :(

Again, thanks for the info man!

·
Registered
SLK 55 AMG
3,560 Posts
For a hundred bucks, you can get a new stereo that plays mp3's off CD's. Then you can burn 10 CD's worth of music to just one CD.

It's what I did in my R171... and it worked just fine. Plus I did the swap myself (took just 10 minutes)

·
Registered
2000 SLK 230 LE
196 Posts

16falcon,

Thank you! They gave me two keys and that round piece of plastic when I bought my car. I could never figure out what it was for and didn't really care enough to remember to ask. You have solved the mystery for me.

It doesn't really matter much now that I have replaced the stock SLK base and antenna cap with a painted SL set but it's nice to know.

·
Registered
2002 SLK 32 AMG
441 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
Falcon, I found the tools and the jack right under them. Just as you said. The only thing missing is the antenna tool. I'll have to ask the dealer if they can hook me up with one.

Now If I could just find a spare donut to take with me on longer rides instead of that flat fix stuff I'd feel more secure.

·
Registered
2002 SLK 32 AMG
441 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
Falcon, I found the tools and the jack right under them. Just as you said. The only thing missing is the antenna tool. I'll have to ask the dealer if they can hook me up with one. I'll need one of those tow hooks too, funny, my C class and my BMW both came with one.

Now If I could just find a spare donut to take with me on longer rides instead of that flat fix stuff I'd feel more secure.

·
Registered
2002 SLK 32 AMG, bone stock. 1987 190E 2.3-16 valve (destroyed). 2005 E320 new toy.
14,926 Posts
There is no (Mercedes) donut for the '32.....

The SLK 32 requires a 17" wheel in front, and Benz apparently doesn't feel the need to develop one. [:0]
The C 32 at first did not have a spare either, but there was enough room to put a full size spare in when the owners complained enough. We just don't have enough room in the trunk. [:(!][xx(]

1 - 20 of 20 Posts