Mercedes-Benz Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
Mercedes 420SEL
44 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
like how many Cold Crank Amps do i need...i put in a Motomaster with 800 CCA's but it still wont charge...what kind of battery do i need?

·
Always Remembered, RIP
2,074 Posts
800CCA's is enough to start the car with no problems.

The issue you describe is that the battery is not being charged...and if it is not charging while the car runs, it will only have enough juice to start the car a few times.

You should look for a problem with your charging system, specifically your alternator and generator. You could also put a voltmeter on your battery terminals while the car is running, and see if enough current is coming back to the battery to recharge it.

Bruce

·
1991 500SEC Euro, 1987 560SEC Federal
5,472 Posts
Hi Jaron,

I was going to suggest you search the archives for voltage regulator or brush pack, as there is a lot of information in the archives, but since the great benzworld facelift apparently the search feature has been dumbed down in an apparent effort to make it appear faster. I couldn't get anywhere with it. Tons of posts, but hard to differentiate one from another.........

I'll bet the brushes are worn in the Voltage Regulator. Very common condition. If so, not enough voltage will be supplied to the battery. Should be 13.8v - 14.2v engine running.... off idle.
2 screws, wicked easy, inexpensive too!

Cheers, MBL

·
Registered
7,030 Posts
Yes 2 screws, but can you please explain in detail with what specific tool, how to extract them without taking the alternator off as there is insufficient space in the V8's.

·
Registered
1985 500 SEL
175 Posts
I changed the voltage regulator in the alternator in my vehicle. I did it with the unit still in place. It can be done, but it is much easier to do with it out of the car. One of the screws is a nightmare to get out of the alternator when it is still in the vehicle. You have to be a contorsionist to get at it, and if you are able to get it out it is just as difficult to get it back in place.

Good luck

1 - 5 of 5 Posts