Mercedes-Benz Forum banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
1991 350SDL 2004 G500
528 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello everyone,

I am a long time Mercedes owner, Unimog fan, and a G-Wagen owner (W460)

As everyone here knows the Unimog was originally conceived as a farm tractor which could be driven on roads as well. The problem is that while looking into the history of the Unimog the same information seems to crop up again and again as outlined here.

Going Where No Car Has Gone Before: A Pictorial History Of The Unimog | The Truth About Cars

My question comes down to the original prototype and it's development.... The name Albert Friedrich comes up again and again but all I have been able to find is that he was head of airplane engine R&D at Mercedes (Which is hardly the expertise one would expect in the making of an off-roader!) Now at the same time WW2 had just ended and as we know from the Eastern front the German army had A LOT of experience in driving in rough terrain so it's entirely conceivable that at least a few ex-soldiers may have been on the engineering team. I'm coming up short with any history of who was on that team, what their original ideas where or basically anything about the original prototypes. Any help would be most welcome!

·
Registered
1975 404 Doka Unimog
327 Posts
I can't answer your question, but that's a nicely put together page on the history of the Unimog. Thanks for sharing.

·
Registered
Unimog 1967 406 Conv agri, G 460 300GDSt 1988, ML500 2002 W163 (lpg)
75 Posts
Go to Unimog Museum in Gaggenau.

They have the prototype which is dated 1946-1948 for Production

They have a patent board..
1945 Erste Projektskizze by Albert Friedrich
looks like a Kubelwagon! front implements/PTO, rear tow hitch, engine not detailed but suspect it is rear engined like VW!
1948 Unimog patent by Heinrich Rossler and Albert Friedrich
portal axles, 50kph, front/rear implement carriers, PTO, engine sat beside driver so single seater
1950 Unimog patent by Heinrich Rossler and Albert Friedrich
very similar to 1948 but details torque tubes to axles, proper 411 like 2 seater

But prototype board has 1941 date with Horch 901 against it.. cannot read it to Google translate it .. so maybe it really was a war design.. things were no doubt very sensitive then so political tact was being used..

Attachments

1 - 3 of 3 Posts