Mercedes-Benz Forum banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
E55 AMG
359 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I consider replace my SLK350 with standard suspesion and 17" wheels on SLK55 AMG. But one thing is the problem. Ride comfort! I use SLK on daily driving, so I need similar comfort like in my present SLK.
And finally my question:

Is a big difference between SLK on OEM suspension and SLK55 ?

I know that I can fit 17" on SLK55 AMG [xx(]

·
Registered
SLK 55 AMG
3,560 Posts
It's a bit stiffer, but I don't think it's too much. You really need to experience it to know the difference. I think it's hard to explain ride stiffness to someone else :\

·
Registered
SLK350
693 Posts
I have sports suspension on my 350 and I think it is just right, I feel the road, its comfortable, and I am not bounced around.
I was wondering if the AMG suspension and the 350 sports suspension are the same, or does the AMG get a firmer setting?

·
Registered
E55 AMG
359 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Shinigami:
I know that in Switzerland you have perfect roads... but I'm sure you have experience about bumpy road and your present car (SLK55AMG) did you notice any cracking ...?

·
Registered
SLK 55 AMG
3,560 Posts
I had a Brabus setup on my old SLK, it was quite rough. Definitely roughler then my new 55.

No, I don't hear any creaking sounds. Actually, I'm quite surprised at how solid my car is. Feels a bit unnatural for it to be so much more quiet and sturdy then the old one.

The roads indeed are very good here, but we have quite a lot of speed bumps (hate those things). But driving over them with my 55 is better then it used to be in my 230K with the tighter/lowered springs (I had 17" Brabus rims on it, the 55 has 18").

·
Registered
E55 AMG
359 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
maybe another SLK55 AMG owners say something?? [:)]

·
Registered
SLK 55
44 Posts
My 55 is my daily driver, and the ride comfort is fine for me although I'm not very picky about such things. It is stiffer than my old 320, but to me that's a good thing. I like the tighter handling.

·
Registered
06 M5, 07 RS4, 07 ML63
654 Posts
It's not stiff at all. For the type of car that it is, the SLK55 is actually on the soft side if you ask me. It is definitely softer than the last E46 M3 I've driven on the same city roads. And may I add that Chicago city roads are as crappy as they come... potholes and road imperfections aplenty, and even then I find the SLK55's suspension very compliant and quite comfortable. I wouldn't mind if it was even a little bit firmer than it currently is. Sometimes, it feels that my X5 4.8 with air suspension rides even harder than the 55. Then again, the X5 has almost 2000 lbs over the SLK, not to mention 20" oem wheels. Trust me, for a sports car/uber-roadster/whatever you want to call it, the SLK55 is a plush ride and will serve well as a daily driver on any type of road including rough pavement. Lastly, it's worth mentioning that I feel MB's selection of Pirelli P Zero Rosso's as oem tires also contribute to the compliant ride.

·
Registered
SLK 55 AMG
237 Posts
masmole - 4/7/2005 10:20 PM

It's not stiff at all. For the type of car that it is, the SLK55 is actually on the soft side if you ask me. It is definitely softer than the last E46 M3 I've driven on the same city roads. And may I add that Chicago city roads are as crappy as they come... potholes and road imperfections aplenty, and even then I find the SLK55's suspension very compliant and quite comfortable. I wouldn't mind if it was even a little bit firmer than it currently is. Sometimes, it feels that my X5 4.8 with air suspension rides even harder than the 55. Then again, the X5 has almost 2000 lbs over the SLK, not to mention 20" oem wheels. Trust me, for a sports car/uber-roadster/whatever you want to call it, the SLK55 is a plush ride and will serve well as a daily driver on any type of road including rough pavement. Lastly, it's worth mentioning that I feel MB's selection of Pirelli P Zero Rosso's as oem tires also contribute to the compliant ride.
I second the above

·
Registered
slk 55
366 Posts
I've had my '55 for a week, and it's not nearly as stiff a ride as I expected. In fact, when I first took delivery of the car I checked all the tire pressures expecting to find that they were underinflated, and they were not. Yes, the ride is stiff, but it's not punishing at all, even on a rough road. I actually think that on a very rough road my wife's Volvo C70 with the optional 18" wheels and low profile tires has a more punishing ride than the '55, but my wife would tell you that the '55 is stiffer and neither car is punishing... of course her other vehicle is a '96 Explorer with 110K miles, so any non truck might feel plush :) So it seems that it's a very subjective thing. I suggest you go out of your way to find one to drive if you are very concerned. Masmole, what do you think of the tires that came on our cars? I know nothing about them at all. You've had your car a while now. Every tire seems to be somewhat of a compromise...do you think they are more toward the compliant end of the spectrum, or more toward the performance/sharp handling end of the spectrum? Masmole, one other question for you (off topic, sorry) what do you drive in the snow? What tires do you have on the X5 4.8? I thought I read that no one makes all season tires in that size, so I was thinking of getting a 4.4 with the optional larger wheels. How bad (or good) is the 4.8 in the snow?

·
Registered
SLK 55 AMG
3,560 Posts
It's true what they say, it's not nearly as stiff as you'd think. But mileage may vary depending on your roads and how sensitive your 'body' is to uneven roads [;)]

Helps to have good tires at just the right PSI.

·
Registered
06 M5, 07 RS4, 07 ML63
654 Posts
shark22 - 4/8/2005 11:56 AM

Masmole, what do you think of the tires that came on our cars? I know nothing about them at all. You've had your car a while now. Every tire seems to be somewhat of a compromise...do you think they are more toward the compliant end of the spectrum, or more toward the performance/sharp handling end of the spectrum? Masmole, one other question for you (off topic, sorry) what do you drive in the snow? What tires do you have on the X5 4.8? I thought I read that no one makes all season tires in that size, so I was thinking of getting a 4.4 with the optional larger wheels. How bad (or good) is the 4.8 in the snow?
I think the tires on our ars are on the soft side as far as max performance summer tires go. I've had S03's, Pilot sports, PS2's, and yoko AVS in the past and the Pirelli Rosso seem to have the nicest ride... then again, those were on a completely different cars. Nevertheless, I would think oem tire selection to favor ride comfort is something high on the list for Mercedes Benz in contrast to Porsche who throw on some rock hard 19" PS2's on their 997's purely for the sake of maximum performance with little regard for comfort.

I drive the X5 in the snow and it's true there is no winter tire fitment for the stock 20" wheels. For the winter, I have a set of 19" wheels shod with Pirelli Scorpion Zero all-seasons (255 width up front, 285 width rears). Believe it or not, they even have dedicated winter tires in the same fitment but I thought that would've been overkill for Chicago city winters. The all seasons were fine for even occasional snow storms and are excellent when it's dry.

·
Registered
E55 AMG
359 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
thanks everyone :)

I ride couple times C55 AMG and I think if the comfort is the same as SLK55 AMG it's ok for me [8)]

I always driving AMG cars with air-suspension.. and I'm totally inexperienced with suspension set of AMG cars like SLK55, CLK55.. I only know that Mercedes cars with Direct-Control suspension is stiffer than for example SLK32 AMG or C32 AMG

·
Registered
E55 AMG
359 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
MadMaxBronze:
How looks your old SLK320? [:I]

·
Registered
SLK 55
44 Posts
My old 2001 SLK320 was silver without the sport package. I have some really old pics:

http://www.vortiginous.com/cars/carf1-c.jpg
http://www.vortiginous.com/cars/carint1.jpg

This car was my first brand new car and just the second that I had purchased period. My first was a hunk of junk that got me through high school and college. :) It is the white car in the background of that first pic.

·
Registered
237 Posts
I drove both the standard SLK 350 and the AMG package and we went for the AMG pkg for looks and the performance. The standard car was softer riding but a bit to soft in my opinion. Had more body roll and lean in the corners where the amg car was tighter and more connected to the rode. Our AMG car rides excellent in my book. Its sold and handles well and is super tight. Then again my driver is Dodge 2500 with cummins with 6" lift and 35" tires. My Z06 was just aweful on any thing but billard smooth rodes. My pervious car was a 98 vette C-5 which I much preferred the ride over the Z06. Sure the Z06 had more power and performance but it was just wasted 98% of the time you were getting beat up.
It was load and uncomfortable. I would never get that hard of a suspension again and I am usually very performance orientated, unless it was purley a track or club racing car. I think more of the stiffness in AMG is tire then performance settings of the suspension except for the 1/2" lower ride height. Wife liked the ride of her Jag XK8 which was much softer. We figured if she gets tired of the ride we can go to a softer tires when the stockers were out which wont be to long with the fun im having. I think softer Perelli's would be a perfect match for the car with out giving up much performance. JMO

1 - 16 of 16 Posts