Mercedes-Benz Forum banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello all, Im new here. My dad has a 99 sl 500 with the sports package. We did an oil change on it lastnight, a very, very easy task BTW. Anyway the wrench indicator light is on the dash and showing a
-73 after it. I tried to reset the light with no luck. What is the proper procedure to reset it??

I tried the turn the key to the 1st. Position and hold the trip odo. reset but it didnt seem to work.

Thanks all,
Doug

·
BenzWorld Elite Member
2004 SL55, 2006 Range Rover Supercharged, 2013 Infiniti M37
312 Posts
Check the owners manual, it should outline the procedure.

·
BenzWorld Elite Member
2004 SL55, 2006 Range Rover Supercharged, 2013 Infiniti M37
312 Posts
I never reset mine nor have I ever checked the owners manual to verify this data is available.

I do recall following the instructions in my ML manual, but I'm not sure it would be the same procedure for the SL.

Someone out there should know the answer.

Brett

·
Registered
'03 CL500,& '07 GL450
227 Posts
On pages 98&99 of the owner's manual for my 1999 SL500 Sport are reseting procedures for the Flexible Service System(FSS). Good luck.

·
Registered
2000 SL500
106 Posts
When you turn the key to pos 1 and the oil indicator comes up with the -milage just press and hold down the trip reset for like 10 sec and it will reset.

good luck

·
Registered
5 Posts
The "Wrench" symbol will appear in the odometer field to indicate it is time to service the vehicle. To reset, turn the ignition key to position 2. Immediately press the button next to the display twice within one second. The present status for days or distance will be displayed. Within 10 seconds, turn the ignition key to the 0 position. Press and hold the button while turning the key to position 2 again. The status for days or distance will be displayed again; continue to hold the button. After 10 seconds, a signal will sound and the display will show 10,000 miles (15,000 km). Release the button.

·
Registered
1999 SL500 SL1 SL2
33 Posts
hey guys,
i'm going to bump this thread with a question.

My service light was in the 8-10k range a few weeks ago. The car sat for about a week. When i came back, the wrench light came on and it indicated 25 days. Makes no sense, i thought this system was smart and checked the resistance of the oil and calculated the life left in the oil due to driving history and other sensors. Is there a way to make the system retest the oil or something?

Thanks!

·
Registered
MB SL600, MB 380SE, Suzuki Grand Vitara, 38' Chris-Craft, Volvo V70XC, and my own two feet...
4,131 Posts
hey guys,
i'm going to bump this thread with a question.

My service light was in the 8-10k range a few weeks ago. The car sat for about a week. When i came back, the wrench light came on and it indicated 25 days. Makes no sense, i thought this system was smart and checked the resistance of the oil and calculated the life left in the oil due to driving history and other sensors. Is there a way to make the system retest the oil or something?

Thanks!
It does that if you're going by mileage and oil condition, sure. But it also has a timer in it, that will tell you to take it in for service if you have exceeded the maximum recommended time interval between services, not just the mileage...

·
Registered
1999 SL500 SL1 SL2
33 Posts
It does that if you're going by mileage and oil condition, sure. But it also has a timer in it, that will tell you to take it in for service if you have exceeded the maximum recommended time interval between services, not just the mileage...
So here is the next question:

If it shows the time, does that mean the time interval set it off?
and if it shows that mileage is getting close does that mean the mileage set it off?

thanks!

1 - 14 of 14 Posts